...An Odd Issue...

This is where messages from the Administration are posted and place for questions on how to use the boards
MikeKozlowski

...An Odd Issue...

Post by MikeKozlowski »

....Not a showstopper , but wanted to mention it - my work machine is unable to connect to the Board, but the phone has mo issues. Anybody else with connectivity issues ?

Mike
Pdf27

Re: ...An Odd Issue...

Post by Pdf27 »

My work machine blocks it as they don't want to risk people being happy on work time.
War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau. - Jean Dutourd
Craiglxviii

Post by Craiglxviii »

MikeKozlowski wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:40 pm ....Not a showstopper , but wanted to mention it - my work machine is unable to connect to the Board, but the phone has mo issues. Anybody else with connectivity issues ?

Mike
Not seen any, I’ve just checked the “back office” and it’s not reporting any problems. Keep trying :)
Craiglxviii

Post by Craiglxviii »

Pdf27 wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:53 pm My work machine blocks it as they don't want to risk people being happy on work time.
Fun? Ah yes, the employment of time in a profitless and non-practical way!
2F471976-2FE4-43E1-A744-EFB81A61605C.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nik_SpeakerToCats

Post by Nik_SpeakerToCats »

My ISP goes through spasms of blocking entire chunks of wwweb, or seriously throttling access to stifle DDOS attacks. Consequence is that my Chrome browser totally 'times out', or fails to display pages correctly unless refreshed repeatedly.

{ I've nominal ~15 MB/s 'down' (~120 Mb/s) but, busy times, drops to half that. Suffices... }
MikeKozlowski

Post by MikeKozlowski »

...Well,

I have an answer. Corporate IT has blocked it on grounds that we're a hate site.

I will see if it's possible to look into this.

Mike
Craiglxviii

Post by Craiglxviii »

MikeKozlowski wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:51 pm ...Well,

I have an answer. Corporate IT has blocked it on grounds that we're a hate site.

Mike
That’s not very nice! We don’t discriminate!
Calder

Post by Calder »

Mike
Ok, now I am curious. Was this some sort of automated tool that made this determination or do they use some 3rd party that keeps a maintains a list of objectionable websites? How is this determined.
Craiglxviii

Post by Craiglxviii »

Calder wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:31 pm

Mike
Ok, now I am curious. Was this some sort of automated tool that made this determination or do they use some 3rd party that keeps a maintains a list of objectionable websites? How is this determined.
It would be interesting if so, as this URL only recently went live. It’s not linked with anything else.
David Newton

Post by David Newton »

Mike
That's defamation. It's also something which makes the compilers of the list into hate-spreading bigots.

As so often they are guilty of the very things they accuse others of.
jemhouston

Post by jemhouston »

Calder wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:31 pm

Mike
They may use something like the Southern Poverty Law Center list.
James1978

Post by James1978 »

If the whole forum is open to public viewing, a couple folks around here are shall we say less than judicious in sharing their feelings about those of certain political leanings. In that light, I'm not totally shocked the board ended on on a Naughty List.
It might not be the worst idea to make the whole forum member access only.
David Newton wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 7:40 pm

Mike
That's defamation. It's also something which makes the compilers of the list into hate-spreading bigots.

As so often they are guilty of the very things they accuse others of.
What jemhouston said. You must not be familiar with the Southern Poverty Law Center. They keep a list of "hate groups", the fast majority of which are nothing of the sort. They knocked the Klan down several pegs back in the day, which was a very good thing. But since then, they've increasingly taken to manufacturing "hate groups" to aid in fundraising. As a side effect, a number of corporations treat the list as gospel in lieu of doing their own due diligence. They have been successfully sued by groups on the list.
David Newton

Post by David Newton »

Oh I'm quite familiar with the SPLC. Nasty little bigots who are exactly what they accuse others of.
Craiglxviii

Post by Craiglxviii »

Let’s see what we can do to make this site accessible to approved users. I’ll look into it.
jemhouston

Post by jemhouston »

For other players in the censorship business https://hotair.com/john-s-2/2023/03/09/ ... ny-n535893
JBG

Post by JBG »

I currently have a "Non-compliant action box" which states my current operation is blocked by IT. As is shown by my continuing current action! I just ignore it and it goes away after 60 seconds. There are times where we refer to our IT branch in the same sentence as the word competent.....but...

Jonathan
Pdf27

Post by Pdf27 »

MikeKozlowski wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:51 pmI have an answer. Corporate IT has blocked it on grounds that we're a hate site.
From experience, they tend to be a **very** blunt instrument when classifying websites. I've had some properly wacky blocks in the past (things like a bolt supplier being classified as a gambling website), and it isn't even vaguely consistent about how it does it.
War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau. - Jean Dutourd
jemhouston

Post by jemhouston »

I've spent some time looking at our company firewall. You can ban by site or with certain categories. The later is set by the firewall company.
Belushi TD

Post by Belushi TD »

JBG wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:03 am There are times where we refer to our IT branch in the same sentence as the word competent.....but...

Jonathan
Those times are when the sentence is shaped like this.

"Unlike ours, competent IT branches ..... "

Belushi TD
jemhouston

Post by jemhouston »

In Defense of my fellow IT techs, we do occasionally resemble that remark.

In our defense, users can be PICNIC, Problem in Chair, Not in Computer.

Sometimes, I wish I never stopped drinking. :lol: