80 Years Ago This Very Moment.....

The theory and practice of the Profession of Arms through the ages.
MikeKozlowski

80 Years Ago This Very Moment.....

Post by MikeKozlowski »

“The long sobs of the violins of autumn wound my heart with a monotonous languor.”

- BBC Radio Londres

Mike
clancyphile

Re: 80 Years Ago This Very Moment.....

Post by clancyphile »

By this time... the LGOPs are raising hell.

And 82 years ago, on this day, Richard Fleming would be KIA at Midway, receiving only the Medal of Honor awarded for valor during that battle.
https://www.historynet.com/richard-fleming-midway/
https://www.wearethemighty.com/mighty-h ... dal-honor/
Johnnie Lyle

Post by Johnnie Lyle »

And eighty years later, the children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren of the men who fought that day and the days that followed share literal and metaphorical beers together.

Their sacrifices were not in vain. Despite the daily deluge of bad news, we justify their faith in us every day.
Jotun

Post by Jotun »

Johnnie Lyle wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 4:10 am And eighty years later, the children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren of the men who fought that day and the days that followed share literal and metaphorical beers together.

Their sacrifices were not in vain. Despite the daily deluge of bad news, we justify their faith in us every day.
May I add that the beers are shared by the descendants of the men who fought on both sides? I hope so.

I was, am and remain thankful to the Allies for liberating Europe and giving my country a second chance, albeit for reasons of power politcs (at first). This thankfulness is very much with a large cavceat in the case of the USSR, although they paid the by far highest blood toll.
Johnnie Lyle

Post by Johnnie Lyle »

Jotun wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 2:06 pm
Johnnie Lyle wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 4:10 am And eighty years later, the children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren of the men who fought that day and the days that followed share literal and metaphorical beers together.

May I add that the beers are shared by the descendants of the men who fought on both sides? I hope so.

I was, am and remain thankful to the Allies for liberating Europe and giving my country a second chance, albeit for reasons of power politcs (at first). This thankfulness is very much with a large cavceat in the case of the USSR, although they paid the by far highest blood toll.
Yup. Magnanimity in victory has major advantages.
jemhouston

Post by jemhouston »

Craiglxviii

Post by Craiglxviii »

jemhouston wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 3:22 pm Image
If only this would happen on Quora