Apollo 13

All Hi-Tech Developments for the Military and Civilian Sectors
jemhouston

Apollo 13

Post by jemhouston »

Apollo 13 landed 54 years ago today.

Fun fact, for the JSC COOPS and Interns, they play the Apollo 13 movie in the FCR they controlled the flight from.
Poohbah

Re: Apollo 13

Post by Poohbah »

I was accused of being neo-triumphalist because I love the Apollo 13 theme.

My response: "I am a paleo-triumphalist."
Johnnie Lyle

Post by Johnnie Lyle »

jemhouston wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:03 pm Apollo 13 landed 54 years ago today.

Fun fact, for the JSC COOPS and Interns, they play the Apollo 13 movie in the FCR they controlled the flight from.
Still one of the best movies ever.

I first saw it in the theater. The movie was so well done, and the tension so thick, that the entire theater burst into cheers when they report in after the communications blackout.

If you can achieve that - despite every single person in that theater knowing they made it home ok - you’re one hell of a cinematic team.
Rocket J Squrriel

Post by Rocket J Squrriel »

They say that on the MCC audio recordings when Apollo 11 reported touch down on the moon you hear the flight director telling everyone to 'settle down' but you never heard the background. When the picture of Apollo 13 coming down with chutes deployed the cheering comes through loud and clear.
Rafferty

Post by Rafferty »

It's a phenomenal movie, I remember seeing it with my dad way back when.

Gene Krantz is from Toledo and gave the commencement speech at the Engineering College in the morning the day I graduated in 2010. I got the former Treasury Secretary John Snow's sister who complained about Bush a bit. Still, it was better than this commencement where I got a pro-Palestinian speaker.