MIKEYVERSE: Season’s Greetings.

Star Trek-based stories from Mike Kozlowski and others, set in Mike’s unique not-quite TOS, not-quite SFB but close enough to both ‘verse.
jemhouston

Re: MIKEYVERSE: Season’s Greetings.

Post by jemhouston »

Johnnie Lyle wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:07 pm
jemhouston wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:18 pm The glare that freeze hydrogen solid
It was more the voice. I read Mike’s lines for Admiral Cleavely in the voice Meryl Streep used for Miranda Priestly, because the cadence fit.
Either way, it's the last thing you want to hear.
Johnnie Lyle

Post by Johnnie Lyle »

jemhouston wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:55 pm
jemhouston wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:18 pm The glare that freeze hydrogen solid
It was more the voice. I read Mike’s lines for Admiral Cleavely in the voice Meryl Streep used for Miranda Priestly, because the cadence fit.
Yeah. She might promote you!
jemhouston

Post by jemhouston »

Johnnie Lyle wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:59 pm
jemhouston wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:55 pm
Yeah. She might promote you!
I'm at the level the Peter Principle put me at. :lol:
MikeKozlowski

Post by MikeKozlowski »

Johnnie Lyle wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:06 am Also, Fleet Admiral Cleavely in civvies:
IMG_4278.jpeg
John,

Give her red hair and it's PERFECT. ;)

A little backstory - I met FADM Cleavely's inspiration in the fall of 1977, and was immediately smitten.

Her, not so much. ;)

But we tried a couple times and finally figured out that we were better off as friends. Which, 46 years downrange, we still are. She is smart, tough, precise, and utterly intolerant of anything vaguely resembling stupidity or incompetence. (She's also the only person I know with stick time in a Spitfire, but that's another story.) Also swears in a sufficiently powerful and inventive fashion that the Senior Chief might be reduced to simply applauding while a single tear runs down his cheek. :D

Mike
Johnnie Lyle

Post by Johnnie Lyle »

MikeKozlowski wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:20 pm
Johnnie Lyle wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:06 am Also, Fleet Admiral Cleavely in civvies:
IMG_4278.jpeg
John,

A little backstory - I met FADM Cleavely's inspiration in the fall of 1977, and was immediately smitten.

Her, not so much. ;)

But we tried a couple times and finally figured out that we were better off as friends. Which, 46 years downrange, we still are. She is smart, tough, precise, and utterly intolerant of anything vaguely resembling stupidity or incompetence. (She's also the only person I know with stick time in a Spitfire, but that's another story.) Also swears in a sufficiently powerful and inventive fashion that the Senior Chief might be reduced to simply applauding while a single tear runs down his cheek. :D

Mike
Respectfully, I’m not sure a fleet admiral would have red hair for very long into her tenure, unless she dyed it. Even with 23rd Century medicine, the stress of the position would probably turn people gray or bald pretty quickly - at least if they were doing the job remotely correctly.

Coming in after the Cartwright-Chang conspiracy and Simile’s resignation/sacking would put enormous strain on the C-in-C, even with (or perhaps because of) her experience as the IG. She has to do the following:
  1. Root out the conspirators
  2. Replace all the experience lost to the conspirators
  3. Restore confidence and trust within the Star Fleet
  4. Shift from a tense combat posture with five decades of distrust, animosity and hostility toward a budding alliance
  5. Fight off mothballing the Star Fleet/poorly planned peace dividend
  6. Oversee the renewing of the Fleet as new ship types (EXCELSIOR, CONSTELLATION, possibly the AKULAs and APOLLOs) finally come on line in force, and older types (especially the CONSTITUTIONs and probably the various frigates and older war era destroyers) are stood down and scrapped
  7. Any of the millions of crises that arise (especially with the Romulans and other folks)
Her plate is going to be full.
MikeKozlowski

Post by MikeKozlowski »

Johnnie Lyle wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:54 pm
MikeKozlowski wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:20 pm
IMG_4278.jpeg
John,

Her, not so much. ;)

Mike
Respectfully, I’m not sure a fleet admiral would have red hair for very long into her tenure, unless she dyed it. Even with 23rd Century medicine, the stress of the position would probably turn people gray or bald pretty quickly - at least if they were doing the job remotely correctly.

Coming in after the Cartwright-Chang conspiracy and Simile’s resignation/sacking would put enormous strain on the C-in-C, even with (or perhaps because of) her experience as the IG. She has to do the following:
  1. Root out the conspirators
  2. Replace all the experience lost to the conspirators
  3. Restore confidence and trust within the Star Fleet
  4. Shift from a tense combat posture with five decades of distrust, animosity and hostility toward a budding alliance
  5. Fight off mothballing the Star Fleet/poorly planned peace dividend
  6. Oversee the renewing of the Fleet as new ship types (EXCELSIOR, CONSTELLATION, possibly the AKULAs and APOLLOs) finally come on line in force, and older types (especially the CONSTITUTIONs and probably the various frigates and older war era destroyers) are stood down and scrapped
  7. Any of the millions of crises that arise (especially with the Romulans and other folks)
Her plate is going to be full.
John,

Full it is, and for all the reasons you list. She also has to deal with one James T. Kirk, who she's...um...known for a while. She'll also have to lead StarFleet into the Orion War, which is going to be well and truly ugly.

Mike
Johnnie Lyle

Post by Johnnie Lyle »

James T. Kirk is only a problem if he’s not firmly ensconced in the Big Chair. Post him to a cruiser and send it somewhere out there where you know nothing.

The Orion War is sure to be nasty as all getout, especially given the ethical minefields of the Prime Directive crossed with with Orion culture and laws. Star Fleet probably hasn’t seen the like in quite a while.
jemhouston

Post by jemhouston »

James T. Kirk is a hammer who knows how and when to use a screwdriver, dictionary, or anything else he needs to solve a problem.

I don't think he needs a cruiser. Given him a long range scout ship and tell him, "find out what's three hills over, and sent a report back. Don't start nothing, but if someone else does, finish it."
Johnnie Lyle

Post by Johnnie Lyle »

jemhouston wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:49 pm James T. Kirk is a hammer who knows how and when to use a screwdriver, dictionary, or anything else he needs to solve a problem.

I don't think he needs a cruiser. Given him a long range scout ship and tell him, "find out what's three hills over, and sent a report back. Don't start nothing, but if someone else does, finish it."
That is what Starfleet uses cruisers for :p
jemhouston

Post by jemhouston »

Johnnie Lyle wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:13 am
jemhouston wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:49 pm James T. Kirk is a hammer who knows how and when to use a screwdriver, dictionary, or anything else he needs to solve a problem.

I wanted something more low profile :D
Johnnie Lyle

Post by Johnnie Lyle »

jemhouston wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:08 am
Johnnie Lyle wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:13 am

I wanted something more low profile :D
That would ask too many questions. He’s way too senior for that small a ship.

Interstellar distances and communication delays mean that the Star Fleet has many of the same problems and imperatives as age of sail navies. Inevitably they will adopt much the same solutions. Independent sailing ships got the more senior captains with the most experience and trust in their judgment. I fully expect that the same would apply to starships, doubly so in the TOS era.
Craiglxviii

Post by Craiglxviii »

This is what the Galactic Survey Cruiser was invented for….
IMG_7286.jpeg
Strangely its design is almost exactly identical to the Strike Carrier. But it’s a survey ship, honest.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MikeKozlowski

Post by MikeKozlowski »

Craiglxviii wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:42 pm

IMG_7286.jpeg

Strangely its design is almost exactly identical to the Strike Carrier. But it’s a survey ship, honest.
Craig,

Ssssh. ;)

In SFB, the Survey Cruisers are slotted for a wartime CVL role, which I'm sure is just a coincidence. And speaking of scouts, wait till you see the Crazy Horse class stealth scouts.

Mike
Craiglxviii

Post by Craiglxviii »

MikeKozlowski wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:15 pm

IMG_7286.jpeg

Craig,

Ssssh. ;)

In SFB, the Survey Cruisers are slotted for a wartime CVL role, which I'm sure is just a coincidence. And speaking of scouts, wait till you see the Crazy Horse class stealth scouts.

Mike
Hey hey hey. It’s well known the GSC carries a squadron of 8 single-space shuttles for surveying tasks. Purely coincidentally, the externally no doubt similar CVL carries a squadron of 8 single-space fighters.

It isn’t the UFP’s fault that fighters and admin shuttles use the same ammunition, fit the same racks, in a standardised shuttle bay now is it?
jemhouston

Post by jemhouston »

Economy of scales. I don't care if it's a post scarcity Economy. They still track things
Johnnie Lyle

Post by Johnnie Lyle »

MikeKozlowski wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:15 pm

IMG_7286.jpeg

Craig,

Ssssh. ;)

Mike
They also probably had a lot of the specialty classes replaced and streamlined by the 2290s, especially given the needs of fleet expansion and replacing war losses/ships that were just not ready for combat.

It’s a whole lot easier just to equip a CONSTITUTION or a MIRANDA (and then the CONSTELLATIONs and EXCELSIORs) for exploration/survey mapping roles so the are fit for whatever independent cruising duties that arise. We’re clearly seeing that by 2293, where both ENTERPRISE and EXCELSIOR have extensive survey fits.

I’m working on a piece for Mike covering shipbuilding in the 2270s to address some of these.