Shōgun (2024)

Good books? Great Films? Good television? Best Music? Or those that really need avoidance? This is where to review and comment on new fact or fiction.
Jotun

Shōgun (2024)

Post by Jotun »

Premiered today on Disney Plus (yeah, yeah, I know).
After watching the first episode, I give the show five out of five tatami cut.
The crew really saw to it that every single detail of Japan in the year 1600 is accurately depicted, and it shows. The gushing reviews I read in the last few days certainly do not exaggerate.

That is all.

PS: There is more blood in the first two episodes than in the entire 1980 miniseries (which I use as a general benchmark to judge the new version because it was damn near perfect and still holds up today). And not one drop of it is gratuitous.
Hiroyuki Sanada is a perfect Lord Toranaga, easily on the same level as the late, great Toshiro Mifune.
Dirk Mothaar

Re: Shōgun (2024)

Post by Dirk Mothaar »

Jotun wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:32 am Premiered today on Disney Plus (yeah, yeah, I know).
After watching the first episode, I give the show five out of five tatami cut.
The crew really saw to it that every single detail of Japan in the year 1600 is accurately depicted, and it shows. The gushing reviews I read in the last few days certainly do not exaggerate.

That is all.

PS: There is more blood in the first two episodes than in the entire 1980 miniseries (which I use as a general benchmark to judge the new version because it was damn near perfect and still holds up today). And not one drop of it is gratuitous.
Hiroyuki Sanada is a perfect Lord Toranaga, easily on the same level as the late, great Toshiro Mifune.
I’m two episodes in and so far it is fantastic. No notes.
Micael

Post by Micael »

Agreed with the above speakers. Well worth the watch.
warshipadmin

Post by warshipadmin »

Good book as I remember, I'll watch out for this.
Jotun

Post by Jotun »

I just watched the latest episode. It contains an impressive, gory depiction of the effects of chain shot on humans. That scene surprised me.
Calder

Post by Calder »

I will add my voice to the others that I really like this version of 'Shogun.

Has anyone here seen the original TV miniseries from 1980? Is it worth seeing or has it aged poorly?
Jotun

Post by Jotun »

Calder wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:05 pm I will add my voice to the others that I really like this version of 'Shogun.

Has anyone here seen the original TV miniseries from 1980? Is it worth seeing or has it aged poorly?
It has aged quite well, thanks to being a historical epic, and made with a lot of respect to Japanese culture.
Toshiro Mifune himself modified the Japanese dialogue to be period-accurate.
Dirk Mothaar

Post by Dirk Mothaar »

I have gotten busy and have only just finished episode three, which was again fantastic. The detail in the weapons and armor is, to my my mostly untrained eye, excellent. The quality of the acting is just top-notch. I have zero complaints and am hoping I will have to watch episode four soon.
Dirk Mothaar

Post by Dirk Mothaar »

Calder wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:05 pm I will add my voice to the others that I really like this version of 'Shogun.

I have not re-watched the 1980 mini-series, but I did watch it in 1980 (when I was all of 9). The clips I have seen on YouTube do seem pretty good, but you can tell that it was made for broadcast TV in 1980.

Bizarrely, because I think Richard Chamberlain is good actor and did good work, I really like Cosmo Jarvis’ performance as Blackthorne better so far.
Nathan45

Post by Nathan45 »

Got the Critical Drinkers thumbs up...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=il9mREwxK ... tlcg%3D%3D
Jotun

Post by Jotun »

Dirk Mothaar wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:05 pm

I have not re-watched the 1980 mini-series, but I did watch it in 1980 (when I was all of 9). The clips I have seen on YouTube do seem pretty good, but you can tell that it was made for broadcast TV in 1980.

Bizarrely, because I think Richard Chamberlain is good actor and did good work, I really like Cosmo Jarvis’ performance as Blackthorne better so far.
Jarvis' Blackthorne behaves like a man very much out of his depth, who uses a LOT of snark and off-beat humor to cope with his situation. Chamberlain's Blackthorne seemed...dull...in comparison.
Jotun

Post by Jotun »

In case you haven't yet, watch the latest episode. It is...beautiful, for lack of a better word. The aborted seppuku of Lady Mariko is a major departure from the novel and old series, but damn, the change is near perfect.
warshipadmin

Post by warshipadmin »

Big thumbs up from me. Oh, one grouse. The title sequence is a bit lame. I can live with that.
Nathan45

Post by Nathan45 »

Yeah honestly I really enjoyed this series, a rare example of a show with a great start that actually stuck the landing. It also surprised me a couple times. (I did see the original mini series or read the book, although I may try them now.)

Show also appears to have been financially successful, enough that they are actually considering creatine new content for a sequel show. I'm of 2 minds of this, one the one had, the story is done, they will have to create new content just for this show. That doesn't mean it will suck, but does mean it will probably suck. On the other hand there is tons of historical content from Japan they could adapt, and I love the actors, on the third hand a lot of my favorite actors on the show are...well dead.
warshipadmin

Post by warshipadmin »

A couple of authenticity things - the ambush in the forest as they walk to the ship. The baddies used fire arrows. Now, fire arrows make for great TV, but they reveal where the archers are, they need braziers, and they make the arrow less accurate.

Secondly the smaller ship that they escape on is a galley, with vertical oars, and is shown catching up to the Black Ship. I can see that walking around with oars is better than sitting on a bench for long trips, but it doesn't seem likely to be fast.