The Last War: 371.

The long and short stories of 'The Last War' by Jan Niemczyk and others
Rocket J Squrriel

Re: The Last War: 371.

Post by Rocket J Squrriel »

The preliminary analysis of the contents of the suspect’s office, office computer and the surviving servers in the Raduga main building as well as his apartment in the city of Dubna strongly suggests that a high number of personnel in several Design and Production bureaus and facilities were recruited by the sabotage suspect and may be preparing to attempt similar actions. Refer to annex B for details.

It is strongly recommended to apprehend the individuals in question and submit them to intensive interrogation so as to root out the clear and present danger to the Motherland’s weapons production capabilities.
People in critical areas that he SAID he recruited. That bit of sabotage will do a lot more damage then what he's done already. :lol:
Fusilier

Post by Fusilier »

Good to see so many famous Scottish comedians called to the colours! :lol:
clancyphile

Post by clancyphile »

The company took Checkpoint Alpha in a short, sharp engagement that left the Grenztruppen dead, or prisoner.
Added a couple of extra words there?
Bernard Woolley

Post by Bernard Woolley »

Fusilier wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:53 am Good to see so many famous Scottish comedians called to the colours! :lol:
It’s my wee joke that everyone in 15 Para is named after a Scottish comedian. IRL Connolly really was in that battalion.

clancyphile wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:44 amAdded a couple of extra words there?
Should read “prisoners” not “prisoner”.
Fusilier

Post by Fusilier »

Bernard Woolley wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:25 pm
Fusilier wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:53 am Good to see so many famous Scottish comedians called to the colours! :lol:
It’s my wee joke that everyone in 15 Para is named after a Scottish comedian. IRL Connolly really was in that battalion.

clancyphile wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:44 amAdded a couple of extra words there?
Should read “prisoners” not “prisoner”.
Yes - Picked up on Billy a while back. Good to see Kevin Bridges :lol:
Bernard Woolley

Plus Stanley Baxter and Gregor Fisher. :D
James1978

Post by James1978 »

Good chapter!

I don't suppose we could get a rough map detailing the front lines from the Baltic to the Adriatic?
If memory serves, SOUTHAG has reached the Czech border. Has CENTAG reaches the IGB?

From digging around, I think the Kh-55 (AS-15) family might have had a second production line elsewhere.

Keep up the good work!
jemhouston

Post by jemhouston »

James1978 wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 10:07 pm Good chapter!

I don't suppose we could get a rough map detailing the front lines from the Baltic to the Adriatic?
If memory serves, SOUTHAG has reached the Czech border. Has CENTAG reaches the IGB?

From digging around, I think the Kh-55 (AS-15) family might have had a second production line elsewhere.

Keep up the good work!
Even if they did, wouldn't they use the same software as the main factory? It's possible the second factory has a countdown going for big boom.
Matt Wiser

Post by Matt Wiser »

Keep up the good work!
Would the AS-4 have a secondary production line as well?
The difference between diplomacy and war is this: Diplomacy is the art of telling someone to go to hell so elegantly that they pack for the trip.
War is bringing hell down on that someone.
Jotun

Post by Jotun »

Matt Wiser wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 3:54 am

Keep up the good work!
Likely yes.

AS an aside, Dubna is special in the regard that R&D and production are actually located in the same facility. Usually, the design bureaus and the production lines are separate.
Matt Wiser

Post by Matt Wiser »

That would make sense, as both sides moved from a short (nuclear) to a long (conventional) warfighting posture, additional production facilities would be needed.
The difference between diplomacy and war is this: Diplomacy is the art of telling someone to go to hell so elegantly that they pack for the trip.
James1978

Post by James1978 »

Matt Wiser wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 3:54 am

Keep up the good work!
I mean I wouldn't rule it out, for various possible reasons.

In TLWverse, we saw nuclear arms reductions continue through the 1990s at the same time as internal economic reforms kept the Soviet economy hobbling along. It's not crazy to think that as some nuclear programs got cancelled or scaled back, work on conventional systems got spread around to keep factories busy.

Also in TLWverse, the Soviet Union remained a going concern and was able to digest the lessons of the 1991 Middle East Live Fire Demonstration and actually do something with those lessons. I very much doubt the utility of conventional cruise missiles was lost on them. And post Theater Weapons Treaty, there is even more reason to build up PGM stocks. Then Renko comes along and believes that the final conflict between the West and the Communist Bloc is inevitable - sounds like a guy interested in building up war stocks and industrial capacity.

I'm not saying every system has multiple line, but odds are some systems do. Heck, the TLWverse US has two lines for Tomahawks and AGM-129s.

RE: AS-6
Without the total collapse of the USSR, the Tu-16 and Tu-22 would have stayed in service longer until Tu-22M production could replace them at the rate of about a regiment per year. So in that light, the AS-6 may not be out of service all that long in TLWverse,
And in @, many were converted to supersonic targets. So somewhere, there may be techs who are still current on the missile.

We've seen the Soviets hang onto and repurpose older missile systems in TLWverse before, so who knows.
Matt Wiser

Post by Matt Wiser »

The Backfire was capable of carrying AS-6, so the weapon would still be in service.
Bernard Woolley

James, re: map, I’ll get my crayons out! :D