Starlink experiences?

Slide along a cold one, kick back and relax. Share amusing stories, anything on your mind, unwind amongst friends.
DanS MkII

Starlink experiences?

Post by DanS MkII »

My home internet choices are DSL (what I have currently) and Starlink. DSL has worked well for many years, including 2.5 years of working from home full time during the pandemic, but the family is starting to complain about slow upload and download speeds (I have a max of 10Mbps download, and it's usually not that fast). My only other choice is Starlink, which is considerably more expensive not even considering the upfront hardware costs. I can make the monthly cost more appealing by dropping the landline. Unfortunately, cell coverage isn't great at the house so we'd be even more dependent on internet access....which means we'd also be at the mercy of power outages (although I do have solar with battery backup).

Anybody have any personal experience with Starlink? Any thoughts on pros and cons? I live in central NC if that makes a difference.

Thanks,
Dan
David Newton

Re: Starlink experiences?

Post by David Newton »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTSStG5_QyQ

Look at that video. It's a livestream using Starlink from the middle of nowhere in Oregon. Should give you an idea of what the system's capable of in performance.
warshipadmin

Re: Starlink experiences?

Post by warshipadmin »

We're out in the sticks. The choice is wireless via a dish to the nearest cell phone tower, which is expensive ($5 per GB), fairly slow, weather dependent etc, or what I have which is to a geosync satellite which is cheap, very laggy (pings are 800ms or more), and maybe 3 MBps, or as the daughter has, Starlink, which is expensive to get into (although they have sold the hardware for as little as $150) very fast and no lag and expensive to keep using >$100/month. OTOH perfect internet for $4 a day sounds like a good deal to me.

My geosync system gets upset in the rain, I don't know if that is a cabling/installation problem or a feature of the wavelengths used. I haven't used the Starlink in poor weather.