General Discussion Thread

Long and short stories from the 1984 movie
Lordroel

Re: General Discussion Thread

Post by Lordroel »

So the United kingdom has again block the sale of jet fighters to Argentina, this time Argentina wanted to buy 24 HAL Tejas with a loan from India, seems that India might go ahead with their plan to replace the Martin-Baker ejection seats In the Tejas Jets with Russian K-36 in order to circumvent the British embargo on sale to Argentina.

Will the United Kingdom respond by doing something to India, i know that the United kingdom has no diplomatic relations with Argentina sins World War III and they have been hard at work in making sure that Argentina has the weakest armed forces in South America.
Wolfman

Post by Wolfman »

They might withdraw their support from India’s carrier program…
“For a brick, he flew pretty good!” Sgt. Major A.J. Johnson, Halo 2

To err is human; to forgive is not SAC policy.

“This is Raven 2-5. This is my sandbox. You will not drop, acknowledge.” David Flanagan, former Raven FAC
Lordroel

Post by Lordroel »

Wolfman wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:14 pm They might withdraw their support from India’s carrier program…
Could be a thing, the United Kingdom also might inform the Russians not to supply NPP Zvezda K-36 ejection seats to India, the Russian Republic if i remember has together with the Far Eastern Republic taken over the debt of the former Soviet Union reparations to the United States, Canada and the United kingdom.
Bernard Woolley

Post by Bernard Woolley »

I'd love to know what financial organisation is stupid courageous enough to give Argentina a loan. They are utterly skint. The Argentinean peso is worth less than the paper it is printed on. Literally. The US$ is now generally being used for transactions within Argentina, but their government only has a very limited holding of Dollars and nobody wants pesos, so they have great difficulty in servicing their existing debts, never mind taking on new ones. Though, it wouldn't be the first time they've defaulted.

There was a time when both the Russian Republic and FER would sell surplus military equipment at basically scrap prices. Argentina couldn't even affoard that when they tried to buy ex-Soviet Mig-29C. Both the Russian Republic and the FER wanted at least 50% up front before they would consider delivery, which Argentia couldn't manage.

The HAL Tejas sale was more a case of Argentina stating that they wanted to buy the jet. There were never any serious negotiations beyond India enquiring what they would use to pay for the jets, followed by a great deal of laughing in New Dehli. It also has to be remembered that the UK is a far more important trading partner than Argentina. In defence alone there is collaboration in the carrier programme, the Arjun Main Battle Tank and Hawk AJT trainer. The Advanced Hawk (Hawk-i) is also a joint-venture between BAES and Hindustan Aeronautics Limited.
Wolfman

Post by Wolfman »

There are stories that Argentina’s neighbors, particularly Brazil, took gleeful advantage of Argentina’s weakness during and after the war to make territorial acquisitions…

“This is Raven 2-5. This is my sandbox. You will not drop, acknowledge.” David Flanagan, former Raven FAC
Lordroel

Post by Lordroel »

Bernard Woolley wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:04 pm I'd love to know what financial organisation is stupid courageous enough to give Argentina a loan.
Read on a news site it is a Indian bank which is owned by some rich anti-British businessman who feels that India is to pro-British.
Bernard Woolley

Wolfman wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:06 pmThere are stories that Argentina’s neighbors, particularly Brazil, took gleeful advantage of Argentina’s weakness during and after the war to make territorial acquisitions…
Chile certainly did.

Lordroel wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:11 pmRead on a news site it is a Indian bank which is owned by a soon to be bankrupt anti-British businessman who feels that India is to pro-British.
FIFY. :lol:

To be honest, and having just spoken to friends at the MoD, the UK wouldn't be too upset if HAL did sell the Tejas to Argentina. We'd rather they buy something from a country we have a good relationship with.
Lordroel

Post by Lordroel »

Bernard Woolley wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:17 pm
To be honest, and having just spoken to friends at the MoD, the UK wouldn't be too upset if HAL did sell the Tejas to Argentina. We'd rather they buy something from a country we have a good relationship with.
Well there is not much left for Argentina to buy, no country wants to sell them planes, new ore secondhand, even South Africa refused selling their Atlas Cheetahs, think Manchuria could left, i remember that they made a deal with the rump Soviet Union back in the early 2000s as part as war reparation for them to produce the Mig-29s (Shenyang J-9s) and Su-27s (Shenyang J-11s), but even Manchuria wants hard cash.
clancyphile

Post by clancyphile »

IC/Jeb Pruitt:

Hey, folks. Got some bad news today. Chappy Sinclair passed away last night. He was one hell of a mentor for me, Matt, and Doug Masters. No word on the funeral, but there are plans for a fly-by of F-16s and F-20s - including the missing man formation.
Wolfman

Post by Wolfman »

My condolences for the loss of your mentor, Jeb.

Poohbah

Post by Poohbah »

An outstanding leader, warrior, and fearless advocate for the ideals of America.

We will remember him.
Matt Wiser

Post by Matt Wiser »

He will be greatly missed. Never met him prewar, but I did meet him on a few occasions after-especially when he was running the VA.
The difference between diplomacy and war is this: Diplomacy is the art of telling someone to go to hell so elegantly that they pack for the trip.
War is bringing hell down on that someone.
Wolfman

Post by Wolfman »

OOC: I’m adding the Texas Rangers winning the World Series last year to the TL.

IC: It’s baseball season again and the Texas Rangers are getting their rings for winning the World Series last year.

Bernard Woolley

Do always like the name ‘World Series’. If teams from only two countries take part, how can it be a World anything? It’s like calling the Six Nations the Rugby World Cup (yes, I know there is one!). :lol:
Wolfman

Post by Wolfman »

It’s Tradition, Bernard, and it’s been that way since long before either of us was born. :roll:

Bernard Woolley

An American ‘tradition’? Can something that only dates back to 1903 be called a tradition? :D
Admittedly, it is older than football and rugby’s World Cups.
Wolfman

Post by Wolfman »

That’s 120 years as of last year.

Bernard Woolley

It’s about the same age as my house, and my house isn’t that old. ;)
jemhouston

Post by jemhouston »

I'll admit, I'd like to see a series between the World Series Winner and the Japan Championship Series.
Wolfman

Post by Wolfman »

jemhouston wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:04 am I'll admit, I'd like to see a series between the World Series Winner and the Japan Championship Series.
That would be interesting, wouldn’t it?