Intruder: the A-6 at War

Long and short stories from the 1984 movie
Matt Wiser

Intruder: the A-6 at War

Post by Matt Wiser »

The A-6 family in the War:

A-6 Intruders of World War III

The A-6 Intruder was the primary all-weather attack aircraft of the U.S. Navy and Marine Corps during the Third World War, and was even adopted as a wartime measure by the U.S. Air Force to make up for F-111 losses before the arrival of the F-15E. Postwar, the A-6F, EA-6B, and KA-6H continue to serve on U.S. Navy carrier decks.

A-6A: First production version, equipped with DIANE nav-attack system. Only all-weather attack aircraft in Vietnam until F-111 arrived in force for LINEBACKER I in 1972. All surviving As converted to E standard under a CILOP (Conversion in Lieu of Procurement) program.

A-6B: 19 converted from As on the Grumman production line, fitted with equipment for SAM-suppression with AGM-45 Shrike and AGM-78 Standard-ARM anti-radar missiles. 14 Survivors converted to A-6E.

A-6C: 12 aircraft fitted with TRIM equipment for truck hunting on the Ho Chi Minh Trail. 11 survivors converted to A-6E.

KA-6D: USN tanker version of A. Not issued to USMC, but loaned to Marine squadrons when Marine Intruder units made carrier deployments. Replaced in USN service by KA-6H.

A-6E: Successor to A-6A, fitted with new digital avionics, nav-attack system and radar. Upgraded with TRAM turret with FLIR and laser designator to allow for use of laser-guided bombs. Main wartime version, also used in numbers by the USAF, though AF aircraft were turned over to the Navy after the war with the arrival of the F-15E. Production line moved from Calverton, NY to the Kaman factory in CT due to fallout from the New York Nuclear Strikes. Aircraft progressively retired with arrival of A-6F.

A-6F: Definitive USN version, with increase in wing and two stores stations for carriage of AAMs. New radar, nav-attack system, and ECM equipment, and nonafterburning F404 engine. In service with USN and USMC, with combat service in Cuba Intervention, Baja War, and the fall of the USSR. Offered to Royal Navy for Queen Elizabeth-class CVFs.

EA-6A: Initial Electronic Warfare version, used primarily by USMC. Transferred to USN as “electronic aggressor” as EA-6Bs became available. Some wartime service, until final replacement by EA-6B.

EA-6B. Main Electronic Warfare version used by USN and USMC, with some USAF to make up for shortfall in EF-111 procurement. Main wartime version was the ICAP (Improved Capability) version with AGM-88 HARM missile capabilities. USAF operated aircraft returned to USN postwar. Four-person crew.

EA-6C: Originally the EA-6B ADVANCAP version, redesignated EA-6C postwar. Same engines as A-6F, two dedicated HARM missile stations. All digital avionics and EW system. Still in USN and USMC service, with dedicated “Expeditionary” squadrons supporting USAF operations.

KA-6H: Tanker version of EA-6B. Originally proposed by Grumman in 1970s, canceled by Carter Administration in 1979. Revived after the war. EW system and rear crew space deleted to make room for additional fuel. Still in USN active and Reserve service.

Users:

USN: The Navy's Medium Attack asset served from the first day of the war to the last, in all theaters. Plans to issue A-6Es to newly activated squadrons had to be shelved due to the need for the Air Force to acquire the aircraft. Replaced by A-6F in Navy Attack Squadrons (Active and Reserve); EA-6B served throughout the war and after, until replaced by EA-6C (itself being replaced by the EA-18G).

USMC: A-6E used for Day/Night interdiction and CAS. Replaced by the A-6F. EA-6Bs also used during the war and after, replaced by EA-6C, which is still in service.

USAF: A-6Es adopted as a wartime measure by the USAF to replace F-111 losses and as an intirim measure postwar pending arrival of the F-15E. All survivors returned to the Navy.
The difference between diplomacy and war is this: Diplomacy is the art of telling someone to go to hell so elegantly that they pack for the trip.
War is bringing hell down on that someone.
Wolfman

Re: Intruder: the A-6 at War

Post by Wolfman »

A bird that’s near and dear to me.
“For a brick, he flew pretty good!” Sgt. Major A.J. Johnson, Halo 2

To err is human; to forgive is not SAC policy.

“This is Raven 2-5. This is my sandbox. You will not drop, acknowledge.” David Flanagan, former Raven FAC
Poohbah

Post by Poohbah »

Always loved when the Intruders did CAS. Lots of pain delivered in one pass.
Wolfman

Post by Wolfman »

We in the Intruder community are quite happy to oblige.

“This is Raven 2-5. This is my sandbox. You will not drop, acknowledge.” David Flanagan, former Raven FAC
jemhouston

Post by jemhouston »

Class act, one of Iron Works best
Wolfman

Post by Wolfman »

And I’m glad to have flown in it.

Kendog52361

Post by Kendog52361 »

I was just reading through the Intruder Fact File, and I noticed it seems to say, or at least imply, that the KA-6H is using the "old engines", due to being based off of the EA-6B. Has it been re-engined with the same engine as the EA-6C and A-6F, or is it the lone aircraft still using the old engines? Similarly, when was it produced, compared to the EA-6C? I'm asking because, if it was close enough, I wonder whether it would have made sense to base it off of the EA-6C, say, pulling every 5th(?) EA-6C off of the production line, and divert it to the KA-6H production. Since the production order/run for the KA-6H would be much smaller than even the EA-6C production run, I think it would make sense to "get them made", to get them done, and also fully modernize the overall A-6 Aircraft Fleet.
Wolfman

Post by Wolfman »

I’ve always assumed that the KA-6H used the same engines as the EA-6C.

jemhouston

Post by jemhouston »

From the old board, Stuart posted an article about US interdiction efforts, AKA truck hunting. The Air Force ended up using a modified E6-AB after clearing out the Boneyards for everything they could use.

I can't remember how it numbered.
Wolfman

Post by Wolfman »

The A-6K. It was an Air Force exclusive variant derived from the EA-6B Prowler. If and/or when I get the chance, I’ll post the art done of it.

jemhouston

Post by jemhouston »

Wolfman wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 3:30 pm The A-6K. It was an Air Force exclusive variant derived from the EA-6B Prowler. If and/or when I get the chance, I’ll post the art done of it.
Thank you
Wolfman

Post by Wolfman »

You’re welcome. I’d actually hashed it out with Stuart around the time he posted that. IIRC, the A-6K was DIXIE MOON IV…