'Civil War'....

Good books? Great Films? Good television? Best Music? Or those that really need avoidance? This is where to review and comment on new fact or fiction.
Poohbah

Re: 'Civil War'....

Post by Poohbah »

Kunkmiester wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 3:11 pm Now how much blue water naval ability do they need to keep China from saying "nice state you have there. Be a shame if someone....colonized it."
Not much, really, because things went to hell for them as soon as this mess got started.

Japan is a whole 'nother story, of course...

My assumption is that Japan becomes a nuclear power within 90 days, if not sooner. They will conclude mutual defense treaties with Singapore and the Philippines, and, depending on how fast things come unglued on the mainland (and it may do so before Japan gets the nukes fielded), the Republic of China.

("Bruh, you said One China. You've got a dozen warlords arguing over who's in charge. The only unitary government that speaks Chinese right now is in Taipei. Y'all just became West Taiwan for the duration. Come back when you're sober.")

Japan will quietly move into Guam (the JASDF was recently operating out of Anderson AFB) and Hawaii (it would be ironic if the IJN took over maintenance of the USS Missouri and the Arizona Memorial). The purpose would be to secure critical trade routes. They wouldn't be making waves beyond that--they wouldn't HAVE to.
jemhouston

Post by jemhouston »

From a image this over on Discord, Naval Gazing server, I traced it to a Twitter post.

gtg947h

Post by gtg947h »

.....riiiiight.
:roll:
Johnnie Lyle

Post by Johnnie Lyle »

They’re smoking the emergency war reserve shit. Not the good stuff they give Putin, but the plastic bottle brewed in a bathtub shit you get in a muddy trench somewhere around Bakhmut.
jemhouston

Post by jemhouston »

Johnnie Lyle wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:29 pm They’re smoking the emergency war reserve shit. Not the good stuff they give Putin, but the plastic bottle brewed in a bathtub shit you get in a muddy trench somewhere around Bakhmut.
I think you're overestimating the quality of the stuff. I knew there were issues with Blue States educational systems, but I didn't know it was this bad. :D
Violet Machine

Post by Violet Machine »

You folks do realise that the implausible nature of the civil war is likely intentional, right?

A vaguely plausible US civil war would piss off about half of the potential US audience, any way you cut it. And that half won't go see your movie. Make one that doesn't alienate anyone, and you'll fill more seats for your dumb action movie.
Belushi TD

Post by Belushi TD »

Violet Machine wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:37 am You folks do realise that the implausible nature of the civil war is likely intentional, right?

A vaguely plausible US civil war would piss off about half of the potential US audience, any way you cut it. And that half won't go see your movie. Make one that doesn't alienate anyone, and you'll fill more seats for your dumb action movie.
I am seeing shades of the remake of Red Dawn in that comment.

Belushi TD
Johnnie Lyle

Post by Johnnie Lyle »

Violet Machine wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:37 am You folks do realise that the implausible nature of the civil war is likely intentional, right?

Honestly, I don’t think they’re that smart.
jemhouston

Post by jemhouston »

New trailer out, nothing really new. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cA4wVhs3HC0
warshipadmin

Post by warshipadmin »

" Depends on the politics of the writer and director, Alex Garland."

From Mike's first post, those three films are excellent. Annihalation in particular, one of the few modern films I've seen that bears rewatching. Spooky.
jemhouston

Post by jemhouston »

Has anyone seen this?
warshipadmin

Post by warshipadmin »

No, but it isn't what people thought it was going to be about

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/civi ... eview-2024
Leander

Post by Leander »

jemhouston wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 12:19 am Has anyone seen this?
Yep.
It was okay. Not brilliant nor rubbish, just okay.