Hello, everyone!

The long and short stories of 'The Last War' by Jan Niemczyk and others
James1978

Re: Hello, everyone!

Post by James1978 »

I don't think it's Chapters we're worried about. Bernard has all those. It's more a question of waiting to see what might be restored from the tboverse.us database. If that works out, it will save a tremendous amount of time in reposting and formatting.

I was able to salvage a fair number of the fact files using the Internet Archive, but not all. And sadly, a number of the ones that were not archived were written by readers/contributors who have faded away over the years. So if the database can be restored, it would be immensely valuable.
Jotun

Post by Jotun »

James1978 wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:49 am I don't think it's Chapters we're worried about. Bernard has all those. It's more a question of waiting to see what might be restored from the tboverse.us database. If that works out, it will save a tremendous amount of time in reposting and formatting.

I was able to salvage a fair number of the fact files using the Internet Archive, but not all. And sadly, a number of the ones that were not archived were written by readers/contributors who have faded away over the years. So if the database can be restored, it would be immensely valuable.
Inam sad to say that a lot of the fact files and spinoffs I wrote over the years have vanished from my harddisk. Must have happened during the numerous times I changed computers and had to transfer data. I still have tow old laptop computers to look into, but I cannot make any promises.
James1978

Post by James1978 »

Jotun wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:09 pm
James1978 wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:49 am I don't think it's Chapters we're worried about. Bernard has all those. It's more a question of waiting to see what might be restored from the tboverse.us database. If that works out, it will save a tremendous amount of time in reposting and formatting.

Inam sad to say that a lot of the fact files and spinoffs I wrote over the years have vanished from my harddisk. Must have happened during the numerous times I changed computers and had to transfer data. I still have tow old laptop computers to look into, but I cannot make any promises.
I tried hunting down your contributions using the Internet Archive, but none of them were archived. Sorry :(
Jotun

Post by Jotun »

Dammit :(
Calder

Post by Calder »

Hey Bernard,

I remember you posting that you lost your copy of Sceptered Isle. I have found one. Please PM me your email address and I will send it to you.
M JOLLY

Post by M JOLLY »

Hey guys so glad to see this has been reposted i been reading since at least 2010,
clancyphile

Post by clancyphile »

Any word on the old chapters?
drmarkbailey

Post by drmarkbailey »

Hi Jan, back after many travails. Basically I got into a fight with the registration and login processes and lost! Also, it's been a very bad year in many ways. So I had to invent a new login using my academic system here at Australian Defence Force Academy.

Cheers: Mark Bailey
Bernard Woolley

Post by Bernard Woolley »

Welcome back!
Craiglxviii

Post by Craiglxviii »

drmarkbailey wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:25 am Hi Jan, back after many travails. Basically I got into a fight with the registration and login processes and lost! Also, it's been a very bad year in many ways. So I had to invent a new login using my academic system here at Australian Defence Force Academy.

Cheers: Mark Bailey
Hello Mark and welcome back! Would you like your username changed back to “normal”?
drmarkbailey

Post by drmarkbailey »

No its fine. Now if people will just stop bloody dying... I am getting tired of attending funerals. Been a bad year so far.

Cheers: Mark
Craiglxviii

Post by Craiglxviii »

drmarkbailey wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 7:14 am No its fine. Now if people will just stop bloody dying... I am getting tired of attending funerals. Been a bad year so far.

Cheers: Mark
I’m sorry to hear that, Mark.
James1978

Post by James1978 »

1) I don't suppose anyone here is in touch with the poster known as "Mario Rossi" from the tboverse.us days in real life? Sadly, he seems to have drifted away even before tboverse.us went bust.
He wrote several, quite excellent, fact files that are not among those I was able to salvage via the Wayback Machine. All I was able to salvage of his work was the Romanian Air Force and the Hungarian Air Force.

2) Does anyone in real life know the poster from tboverse.org who went by the name "Amir" (??). He was a valuable contributor re. the US Army and armored vehicles.

3) If for some reason, anyone here managed to save any of the following, please PM Bernard or myself.
* Any stories / fact files written by Jotun
* Spanish Air Force ORBAT
* Italian Air Force ORBAT
* Luxembourg Army ORBAT
* Argentina Air Force
* Fact file on history of Romania post-POD.

Thank you.
Jotun

Post by Jotun »

I am kicking myself for not keeping the stuff I contributed somewhere safe…
beaverjohn

Post by beaverjohn »

Operation Yegorov needed?
Jotun

Post by Jotun »

beaverjohn wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 4:11 pm Operation Yegorov needed?
Whatever you have!
beaverjohn

Post by beaverjohn »

Ok. I just need to figure out how to send or post it
beaverjohn

Jotun story repost - Operation 'Yegorov'

Post by beaverjohn »

Posted - I think
Johnnie Lyle

Post by Johnnie Lyle »

Jotun wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 2:53 pm I am kicking myself for not keeping the stuff I contributed somewhere safe…
Same. The original files for the RFC/RAF work I did for Stuart’s rankings got deleted, and I really wish I had a copy
Jotun

Post by Jotun »

Damn. Using the wayback machine is an exercise in frustration.

"Oh, I found something I could save."
"What? Currently not available / wasn't saved? GAH!"