United States Army ORBAT

The long and short stories of 'The Last War' by Jan Niemczyk and others
Louie

Re: United States Army ORBAT

Post by Louie »

James1978 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:00 am
Eaglenine2 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:41 pm So in one of shrike6's Berlin Brigade doc (https://emu.usahec.org/alma/multimedia/ ... 000644.pdf) it says that one of the battalions have a air defense battery?
What page are you seeing that on?

I see an air defense platoon under the brigade HQ on page 16.
On page 6 and 9, I'm seeing an anti-tank company under one of the infantry battalions
I can’t pull it up but I have several of the Berlin Bde docs discussing what was planned. I believe all the TOWs in all three Bns were to be consolidated into one TOW Coy under the proposed MTOEs.
James1978

Post by James1978 »

Added US Army Ships and some TOEs.
Eaglenine2

Post by Eaglenine2 »

Question why does Mechanized Infantry Company only have 13 M2?
Eaglenine2

Post by Eaglenine2 »

Does 86th Vermont Infantry Brigade have a unique Mountain Battalion toe?
James1978

Post by James1978 »

Eaglenine2 wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 12:06 pm Does 86th Vermont Infantry Brigade have a unique Mountain Battalion toe?
No. Standard Light Infantry Battalion.

As with the 10th Mountain Division, the "mountain" is largely honorific.

Now having said that, the Army Mountain Warfare School is located at the Ethan Allen Firing Rage in Vermont. So the 86th Brigade does have regular access to the training facilities there. So while the 86th Brigade wouldn't be considered a specialized "Alpine" unit by standards of some NATO armies, I think it's fair to say they are the closet thing to one in the US Army.

As a further note of interest, both 10th Mountain Division and 6th Infantry Division possess quantities of Bv206D vehicles known in the US Army as the Small Unit Support Vehicle. 10th Mountain has them for their NATO mission in Norway, and 6th Infantry's location in Alaska is self explanatory.
Eaglenine2

Post by Eaglenine2 »

Wasn't 3rd Battalion, 172d Infantry was trained and organized for mountain warfare in real life? IE the the mountain battalion TOE in the latest chapter?
James1978

Post by James1978 »

Historically (post-WW2), the US Army has disliked forming environmentally tailored units - e.g. Jungle, Arctic, Mountain, etc.

Which is not to say that by virtue of where they are based, some units aren't more adept/skilled/experienced at operating in environments that don't look like West Germany. But they don't tend to have specialized TOEs.
So for example, simply by virtue of being based in Alaska, 6th ID is going to be the most experienced at operating in Arctic conditions. But other than having some SUSVs, the TOE of their light infantry battalions is the same as any other light infantry battalion in the Army. Big Army demands plug-and-play.

Which is a roundabout way of saying that in TLWverse, the battalions of the 172nd Infantry Regiment have the same TOE as a regular light infantry battalion. With the Soviet Union still a going concern, the AT Company stays in TLWverse.

See the TLWverse TOEs on the first page of this thread.
US Army TOEs wrote:Light Infantry Battalion
Headquarters and Headquarters Company: x6 81mm mortar
X3 Light Infantry Company with x9 Javelin and x2 60mm mortar each
X1 AT Company with x12 HMMWV-TOW
Eaglenine2

Post by Eaglenine2 »

Wasn't 81st Infantry Brigade (Mechanized) Cavalry troop is Troop E, 303rd Cavalry with a air defense battery Battery D, 216th Air Defense Artillery?
James1978

Post by James1978 »

Eaglenine2 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 12:06 pm Wasn't 81st Infantry Brigade (Mechanized) Cavalry troop is Troop E, 303rd Cavalry with a air defense battery Battery D, 216th Air Defense Artillery?
The cavalry troops was an oops, now corrected.

I'm going to say no to the ADA battery. As best as I can tell, 216th ADA Regiment didn't stand up until @ 1998 in the Minnesota Army National Guard.
If Bernard wants the 81st to have an ADA battery, it would probably come from 205th ADA or 248th ADA.