Another, rather more serious, etiquette question...

This is where messages from the Administration are posted and place for questions on how to use the boards
kdahm

Re: Another, rather more serious, etiquette question...

Post by kdahm »

I believe the proper response would be forward the issue to Craig as the site owner and to the moderation team. Assuming that the name isn't the same as a moderator. Save screenshots of the twitter abuse in case it is desired as data.

While normally speaking, I would not expect that what happens on other venues would drag over here, there are some behaviours that are so repugnant that this board would want to take notice. Then, It's up to the person(s) who make the rules to decide how much splashback is deserved, and whether they want someone with whatever characteristics showing up on their board.

Announcing who the person is, or providing links, to the general board shouldn't be done unless it's conclusively found to be the same person and the site owners have made their judgement. See the Richard Jewell case and the Atlanta Olympics bombing for the reason why.
Craiglxviii

Post by Craiglxviii »

Bernard Woolley wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 7:37 pm ...For the Board.

What's the etiquette if one spots a Twitter account that appears to be a member of the site acting in a really nasty way to someone else on Twitter? As in wishing serious harm to them? The sort of behaviour that actually results in a Twitter ban (something pretty rare these days).

I have spotted a Twitter account sharing the name with a member here behaving really, really badly and crossing the line so far it can no longer be seen. So, I'm just wondering if we just decide it's something that the 'Other Place' has dealt with, or does it have a bearing on said member here? Do we think about a potential 'bringing the board into disrepute' rule?

Personally, I hope it was just a coincidence that the person on Twitter shared a handle with our member because I wouldn't want to think that someone I do have respect for behaved like that.
Let’s take this off-line, as they say at work…
Bernard Woolley

Post by Bernard Woolley »

If nobody minds, I’d like to delete this thread. Looks like the Twitter person and our member are not one and the same, thankfully.
kdahm

Post by kdahm »

I don't mind.
Craiglxviii

Post by Craiglxviii »

Go right ahead!
JBG

Post by JBG »

kdahm's response is worthy of being SOP for the Board.

Jonathan
Craiglxviii

Post by Craiglxviii »

JBG wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 6:23 am kdahm's response is worthy of being SOP for the Board.

Jonathan
I couldn’t agree more. State Security will be talking to him about his “behavioural modelling” ;)