1993 - Star of Wonder

The official home for all TBOVerse stories as written by Stuart Slade, and other members of the Board.

Please please help us to recover all that can be saved!
Calder

1993 - Star of Wonder

Post by Calder »

Star of Wonder – 1993

Rancho Cielo, 1993

”…and a partridge in a pear tree.” The final words of the song dissolved into laugher as people began once again to mill about the party. Nancy Reagan smiled, it was so rare that her husband smiled these days, but he was actually walking around the room, talking with Parmenio as he would any old friend. Ronald had been notorious for seeming to draw people into his inner circle without ever letting them get close, but in the days since he had left office he and Nancy had grown to be a part of the Seer’s circle, and he was living all the relationships he had had to keep away from in politics. It was bittersweet for Nancy, because while her husbands mind deteriorated, she knew that the conversations he was having now, the jokes he was telling, would be remembered by the demons long after he passed.

”The place looks lovely, Nancy.” Lillith walked up and handed her a glass of spiced punch. “It really feels like a Victorian Christmas in here. The food is wonderful as well.” Nancy took the glass. “Thank you, dear. The children used to love Christmas when they were little, especially the decorating.”

Achillaea joined their conversation “It certainly must have taken a while. I’ve been trying to get some of the Circle together for a real, authentic Saturnalia, but it just isn’t the same without a slave banquet.” She winked at Nancy. “Still, it’s a good deal better than the Yule celebrations. All that wassailing could really wear you out.”

”Perhaps next year, Achillaea.” Nancy looked over at the nativity scene on the table, and frowned slightly. “I don’t know if I have asked, because I didn’t want to be rude, but did any of you ever meet Jesus? I can’t help but wonder what it would have been like to be at the manger, seeing him there.”

Lillith shook her head. “As far as we know, any demon who claimed to meet Jesus of Nazareth is a liar. The truth is, he was only important for a few years in a small corner of Roman Israel, and didn’t really make waves until the apostles started getting their church going after his death.”

”Mistletoe, Miss Regan!” Henry had stolen up behind Nancy with a sprig in his hand. “A bit of Christmas spirit on the cheek, if you please.”

Nancy chuckled “You be careful”, she gave him a quick peck “I’ve already got my cowboy.”

”So, what’s the topic?” Henry beamed. He hadn’t had many happy Christmases when he was younger, and he enjoyed these parties immensely.

”Jesus, and if anyone met him.” Nancy said. “I suppose you’re a bit young for that.”

”Yes ma’am. I missed out the first time, and I intend for it to be a good sight longer before I do see him.” He held up a finger “But, if anyone came close, it would’ve been Bard.”

”Oh?” Nancy turned, scanning the room. Bard, as she knew him, was an unassuming Parthian from ancient Persia. Quiet and well-spoken, he spent most of his days working at various observatories and publishing papers under several pseudonyms. “Did he meet Jesus?”

Henry pointed him out to her, sitting by the fire. “Well, you’ll just have to ask him yourself, though its a story I wouldn’t mind hearing again.” They walked over, and Nancy took a seat in the chair opposite him. “Good evening, Misses Regan.” He bowed his head in greeting. “Merry Christmas.”

”Merry Christmas to you too, Bard.” Nancy looked up at Henry, who nodded. “I was wondering if I could impose on you for a story. Henry told me that you had once met Jesus, and I was hoping to hear of it.”

Bard was silent for a while, smiling, and then nodded. “Yes, I suppose it is that time of year, I will tell it again. But understand, please, that I do not think I ever met the man.” He took a deep breath, and stared into the fire.

”I was born Bardiya el Aryo Barzan, of a noble house in Persia. My people were the Medeans, and we were the religious and the scholars. I and some of my colleagues made it our science to watch the stars, and seek the signs they would tell. We saw many things, from the birth of princes to the fall of nations, but one night, the signs began to gather for a greater portent.”

”The first sign was Jupiter passing behind the moon, a sign of the birth of a king. Then, over the next year, three times Jupiter and Saturn met in Pisces, and then Jupiter again passed behind the moon. This said, to us, that a king in the lands of the west would be born who would battle against death, and who would be reborn. One of my colleagues, Hormazad, was a Jew, and said that the stars spoke of the Messiah of the Jews being born. But such signs had passed before without his coming, so we waited. Then, one evening, a new star appeared.

”A bright star in the east…” Nancy said, unaware.

”No Miss Regan.” Bard shook his head. Even your own Bible says only a star, and not a bright one. “The star was like others, save it was brand new. My colleagues and I knew that the star meant the Messiah had been born, and we made plans to see him. We gathered a caravan and all the gifts for a king, from robes and gold to perfumes and fine delicacies. Ten of us were to go, with our servants, an envoy from our people.”

”But I thought there were only three wise men.” Ronald interrupted. The whole of the party had gathered around this story now, some listening the first time and some practically reciting it.

”No, Mister President. The Bible mentions three gifts, the three most important in prophecy and royalty, but there were many gifts and many givers. I was to be one of them, and would have gone, but it was not to be.” Bard’s eyes softened as he spoke. “My wife was with child, and was not due to give birth for another month when the midwives came for me. She had had an attack of some sort, now I know it was preeclampsia, but at the time all that I knew was she could not breathe and was crying in pain. They gave her mandrake, and I sent for the best doctors to heal her, but nothing could be done. After a week, her body broke and the life left her. The midwives cut into her womb, but my son had been dead for many days before she passed.

My colleagues had left without me, as I expected them to. I myself passed many days alone. Even the star faded from the dawn sky. But one morning, I looked out and saw the star to the south, and I knew that he had been born and my heart was glad. I set out at once to find the king of the Jews, I hoped I could find my colleagues along the road, though they had likely been to Jerusalem already. I took some jewels for his crown, jewels that had belonged to my wife, and I set out to find him.”

”But you never found him?” Nancy asked, wide-eyed.

”No, I did not.” Bard paused, seeing into the past. “I met my friends on the road in Syria, they said that the boy had been born, and they had given the gifts to his parents.” Hormazad told me he was ready to follow Simeon, and that he was going to move his family to Jerusalem. I wanted to go see the child, but they told me Herod pursued them because he wanted to find the boy, and so I returned home to avoid capture and death.

”Why didn’t you go find him later? Give your gifts to the Messiah after Herod died?” Ronald rubbed his jaw. “I saw a movie about a wise-man who missed the bus, he spent his life looking for Jesus.”

”Yes,” Bard smiled “Bill told me he was making my life into a movie. I thought it was fairly well-done. The problem was, which messiah should I have given my gift to? There were many, many of them roaming Israel in those days, and I saw more than one crucified by the Romans.”

”Oh Bard, I’m so sorry.” Nancy put a hand on his knee. “For your family, and for what you missed.”

”Do not be sorry for me, Misses Regan.” He patted her hand. “My wife and son are with Ahura Mazda, with God. And as for the Messiah, I know he was born.” He reached into his pocket and drew out a small pouch. Opening it carefully, he drew out a ruby between his thumb and forefinger; it was easily forty carats. “If I ever know him, I will be ready.”

Nancy looked at the stone, in shock. He had carried that with him every day for almost two thousand years, just on the hope and chance he might need it. Faith like that didn’t need to see, it already believed.