New Royal Netherlands Navy mini arsenal ship

The theory and practice of the Profession of Arms through the ages.
Lordroel

New Royal Netherlands Navy mini arsenal ship

Post by Lordroel »

So the Netherlands gets a new ship class.

The navy will receive 2 new support vessels with modern weapon systems and equipment. The Dutch Damen will build them. The vessels are needed to better protect the Netherlands and its allies in the event of a threat. State Secretary Gijs Tuinman reports this to the House of Representatives today.

In operations in the higher violence spectrum, the navy needs reinforcement of the air defense and more firepower. In addition, the navy needs research equipment to detect and monitor threats in the North Sea. The multifunctional support vessels carry the new armament or the equipment in containers. Through innovation and the smart combination of existing systems, this can be done with a small crew.

The Navy needs more long-range surface-to-air missiles. Opponents can carry out massive and simultaneous attacks with anti-ship missiles or drones. The Air Defence and Command frigates (LC frigates) must be able to defend themselves and other (naval) ships against this.

The infrastructure in the North Sea is vulnerable. Think of windmills and drilling platforms. Other examples are oil and gas pipelines, electricity cables and data cables on the seabed. The Military Intelligence and Security Service wrote in its annual report about Russian activities that indicate espionage. The service also reported that there are preparatory actions for disruption and sabotage of the maritime infrastructure.

In order to detect these threats, Defence is acquiring underwater drones and sensors for the new vessels to collect information.

The acquisition at Damen is in line with the government policy to strengthen the Dutch maritime manufacturing industry. In doing so, Defence contributes to the strategic autonomy of Europe. In the coming years, Defence will replace almost the entire naval fleet. The maritime manufacturing industry forms the foundation for this.

The project involves €250 million to €1 billion. Capacity for the North Sea will be deployable from 2026 and both vessels will be fully deployable in 2027.
Nik_SpeakerToCats

Re: New Royal Netherlands Navy mini arsenal ship

Post by Nik_SpeakerToCats »

I like.

Snark:
Isn't this what a 'Littoral Combat Ship' should be ??
/
Lordroel

Post by Lordroel »

Nik_SpeakerToCats wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2024 4:34 pm I like.

Snark:
Isn't this what a 'Littoral Combat Ship' should be ??
/
Its called the Rapidly Increased Firepower Capability Royal Netherlands Navy (TRIFIC) ships and are envisioned to stay close (around 5 nmi (9.3 km)) to a mother ship and give extra missile capability.
Drunknsubmrnr

Post by Drunknsubmrnr »

Uh-huh. And I bet it’s packed full of Signaal gear. :roll:
Nightwatch2

Post by Nightwatch2 »

A concept that we played with some years ago.

An arsenal ship carrying the missiles linked to a warship with the radars and combat systems to use them.
Lordroel

Post by Lordroel »

Drunknsubmrnr wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2024 9:13 pm Uh-huh. And I bet it’s packed full of Signaal gear. :roll:
And full of Israeli made weapons ,including the Barak-ER surface-to-air missile, Harop loitering munitions and the Integrated Naval EW Suite for electronic warfare.
Pdf27

Post by Pdf27 »

I've seen this design somewhere before...
War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau. - Jean Dutourd
Pdf27

Post by Pdf27 »

Complete with pods even...
War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau. - Jean Dutourd
Lordroel

Post by Lordroel »

Pdf27 wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2024 6:58 am I've seen this design somewhere before...
They are both Damen designed and build.
Pdf27

Post by Pdf27 »

Lordroel wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2024 5:41 pmThey are both Damen designed and build.
It's the same ship - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XV_Patrick_Blackett
Drunknsubmrnr

Post by Drunknsubmrnr »

Lordroel wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2024 3:14 am
Drunknsubmrnr wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2024 9:13 pm Uh-huh. And I bet it’s packed full of Signaal gear. :roll:
And full of Israeli made weapons ,including the Barak-ER surface-to-air missile, Harop loitering munitions and the Integrated Naval EW Suite for electronic warfare.
I’m sure it’ll work great…..on alternate Tuesdays of months that end in -y.

Not the biggest fan of Signaal.
Johnnie Lyle

Post by Johnnie Lyle »

How wet is that aft deck in a storm?
Zen9

Post by Zen9 »

Definitely don't like the double stacked containers so far aft.

Not completely daft an idea as long as you have the sensor and CMS systems in datalink range.