Strange New Worlds

Good books? Great Films? Good television? Best Music? Or those that really need avoidance? This is where to review and comment on new fact or fiction.
Paul Nuttall

Strange New Worlds

Post by Paul Nuttall »

OK so finally got round to watching and have just finished both current seasons.

One or two not so good episodes but mostly good to very good.

Is SNW meant to be in the same universe as TOS as there are some differences to characters that end up on TOS and the Enterprise looks closer in size to one in the Kelvinverse.

Bring on Season 3 and 4.
MikeKozlowski

Re: Strange New Worlds

Post by MikeKozlowski »

Paul Nuttall wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:01 pm OK so finally got round to watching and have just finished both current seasons.

Is SNW meant to be in the same universe as TOS as there are some differences to characters that end up on TOS and the Enterprise looks closer in size to one in the Kelvinverse.

Bring on Season 3 and 4.
First season had a couple of off eps but second didn't have a single bad one in the bunch, especially TOS and Subspace Rhapsody. SNW is in the Prime Verse, and as far as the ships go they do seem to have increased in size a bit. I'm not too bent about that; there's enough callbacks to the TOS designs that I can live with them.

Mike
Paul Nuttall

Post by Paul Nuttall »

MikeKozlowski wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:34 pm
Paul Nuttall wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:01 pm OK so finally got round to watching and have just finished both current seasons.

Bring on Season 3 and 4.
First season had a couple of off eps but second didn't have a single bad one in the bunch, especially TOS and Subspace Rhapsody. SNW is in the Prime Verse, and as far as the ships go they do seem to have increased in size a bit. I'm not too bent about that; there's enough callbacks to the TOS designs that I can live with them.

Mike
Spock smiling and laughing in Those Old Scientists was....disturbing......
MikeKozlowski

Post by MikeKozlowski »

Paul Nuttall wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:05 pm
MikeKozlowski wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:34 pm

Bring on Season 3 and 4.

Mike
Spock smiling and laughing in Those Old Scientists was....disturbing......
And delightfully so.

Mike
Bernard Woolley

Post by Bernard Woolley »

I think Those Old Scientists is currently my favourite SNW episode. Loved seeing the crew in LD style animation. :D
Paul Nuttall

Post by Paul Nuttall »

S3 trailer from ComicCon

https://tvline.com/news/star-trek-stran ... 235296281/

Chapel has new a new hairstyle and Spock looks annoyed.....oh and Pike's hair even more extreme.
Rocket J Squrriel

Post by Rocket J Squrriel »

Slightly off topic but have you heard of this fan created project: "We Have Engaged the Borg: The Oral History of the Battle of Wolf 359". Its covers the prelude, the battle, and the aftermath. Its good.

https://www.wolf359project.com/
gtg947h

Post by gtg947h »

Rocket J Squrriel wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2024 11:09 pm Slightly off topic but have you heard of this fan created project: "We Have Engaged the Borg: The Oral History of the Battle of Wolf 359". Its covers the prelude, the battle, and the aftermath. Its good.

I know very little about Trek but so far it's a good read. I like this format in general.
Bernard Woolley

Post by Bernard Woolley »

It’s very good. There’s a few other similar works on Twitter. The Federation-Klingon Cold War one is very good.
Paul Nuttall

Post by Paul Nuttall »

The look Spock is giving Pike as he swings the Lirpa........
gtg947h

Post by gtg947h »

Bernard Woolley wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 12:41 am It’s very good. There’s a few other similar works on Twitter. The Federation-Klingon Cold War one is very good.
Finished this one (I am prone to binge-reading stuff like this) and yes it was very good. Of course the old "all humans are Doc Brown" thread-meme kept coming to mind as I was reading :D
I will need to look up the Dominion War though, being (as mentioned earlier) unfamiliar with Trek for the most part.

Got any links to more? Or to similar non-Trek works?

Heck, do we need a "good internet SF works" thread?
Johnnie Lyle

Post by Johnnie Lyle »

gtg947h wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 10:04 pm
Bernard Woolley wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 12:41 am It’s very good. There’s a few other similar works on Twitter. The Federation-Klingon Cold War one is very good.
Finished this one (I am prone to binge-reading stuff like this) and yes it was very good. Of course the old "all humans are Doc Brown" thread-meme kept coming to mind as I was reading :D
I will need to look up the Dominion War though, being (as mentioned earlier) unfamiliar with Trek for the most part.

Got any links to more? Or to similar non-Trek works?

Heck, do we need a "good internet SF works" thread?
The Dominion War was the major story arc of Deep Space Nine beginning in the third season. Memory Alpha should be able to give you the necessary details.
Ionic

Post by Ionic »

Please tell me that you’ve got a link to this
Paul Nuttall

Post by Paul Nuttall »

The clip shows that most of those grabbed by the Gorn make it through........
Johnnie Lyle

Post by Johnnie Lyle »

gtg947h wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 12:15 am
Rocket J Squrriel wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2024 11:09 pm Slightly off topic but have you heard of this fan created project: "We Have Engaged the Borg: The Oral History of the Battle of Wolf 359". Its covers the prelude, the battle, and the aftermath. Its good.

I know very little about Trek but so far it's a good read. I like this format in general.
I finished it last night. It’s a very poignant bit of work, best accompanied by appropriately sad but determined music, for it is not a cheery tale. Reading is almost an act of witness. We see some well known characters and some guest parts, a few heroes and not a few villains. And while there are moments of triumph, they are short and fleeting, the kinds of heroism we do reward with our greatest medals, but almost always posthumously. Sometimes the only options are die well, die badly or . . . worse. And worse was definitely in the offing at Wolf 359.

But it’s not without quiet moments of humor (like Pulaski stuck in Alaska and having to use the transporter) or humanity for all its ups and downs. It’s a real shame Paramount wouldn’t let them publish the book.

It also cleans up a lot of questions about that first invasion that were never really answered well, such as how people assimilated there made it back to the Delta Quadrant, or why they were only able to muster 40 ships.

If you follow them on Facebook or other media, they’re doing profiles of the ships present. Some are right tearjerkers, like REPUBLIC’s cadet captain being rendered honors as her last captain before being transported off. Others are just adorable, such as CAPT Boimler and RADM DeSoto making carpet angels in HOOD’s ready room.

It’s def up there with the Mikeyverse.