Candidate for a Darwin award

Slide along a cold one, kick back and relax. Share amusing stories, anything on your mind, unwind amongst friends.
Rocket J Squrriel

Candidate for a Darwin award

Post by Rocket J Squrriel »

Tanker truck is leaking nitric acid fumes.
Do you...
A. Call the hazmat people and start blocking traffic and clearing people away.
B. Run for your life!
C. Climb on top in the middle of the cloud, fiddle with things, and stand next to a geyser that sudden shoots upwards....downwards.

He chose....poorly.

https://youtu.be/O9Zy2wwzspE?feature=shared
jemhouston

Re: Candidate for a Darwin award

Post by jemhouston »

Instead of filming it, why didn't he call their emergency number to report it?

The driver chose poorly.
Belushi TD

Post by Belushi TD »

The video apparently has an Over 18 tag on it on youtube. Since I don't sign into youtube, I found it elsewhere.

https://krudplug.net/m/video.php?vid=6206

Yes, total idiocy on everyone's part. Red fuming nitric acid used to be one component of a hypergolic rocket fuel. Someone did NOT tell the driver what he was supposed to do in case of leaks, and I find it VERY odd that the hatch failed and geysered the acid all over the place. Almost as if they had used a tanker that was not rated for high concentration nitric acid which led to off gassing from metal corrosion, and the pressure built up until the hatch failed. Also seems that the blow off valve failed unsafe as well.

I would speculate that this is due to the lack of safety culture in china at all levels.

In defense of the bus? driver who was videoing, there may have been others who were calling the chinese equivalent of 911.

Belushi TD
MikeKozlowski

Post by MikeKozlowski »

...You know, I no longer feel quite so bad about some of my life decisions.

Mike
Nik_SpeakerToCats

Post by Nik_SpeakerToCats »

"You know, I no longer feel quite so bad about some of my life decisions."

Yeah, I, too, have perpetrated some 'stoopids'. But, like you, I'm still intact and well enough to chuckle at my youthful gaffes...
kdahm

Post by kdahm »

There's a more reasonable explanation that that the driver was an idiot. He may not have been trained in hazardous material transportation or been given any information on what was in his tanker. Just told to get in his cab, drive to this spot, pick up a trailer, and take it to that spot. When it started fuming, he went to check on the hatches just like it was a normal non-hazardous load.

This is China. Health and Safety is optional unless people are watching.
MikeKozlowski

Post by MikeKozlowski »

Nik_SpeakerToCats wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 5:09 pm "You know, I no longer feel quite so bad about some of my life decisions."

Yeah, I, too, have perpetrated some 'stoopids'. But, like you, I'm still intact and well enough to chuckle at my youthful gaffes...
Nik,

That and most people rather boldly assume that I haven't peaked yet.

Mike
jemhouston

Post by jemhouston »

MikeKozlowski wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 8:11 pm
Nik_SpeakerToCats wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 5:09 pm "You know, I no longer feel quite so bad about some of my life decisions."

Nik,

That and most people rather boldly assume that I haven't peaked yet.

Mike
I know I haven't reach (or sunk to) peak stupidity.
Jotun

Post by Jotun »

Urgh. I just read up on nitric acid. I guess it is a safe bet to assume the poor schlub who was next to the geyser died a horrible and horribly painful death :shock:
Belushi TD

Post by Belushi TD »

With the quantity of acid that geysered on him, I would think that he died fairly rapidly. It almost looks to me like he took the entire spray to the face, which knocked him over backwards and then covered him with acid. I hope that being knocked over made him hit his head on the tanker and rendered him unconscious, because I don't believe that was a survivable incident for the poor schlub.

Of course, its entirely possible that there was enough damage done quickly enough that he was actually dead before the end of the video.

Belushi TD
DaveAAA

Post by DaveAAA »

kdahm wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:32 pm There's a more reasonable explanation that that the driver was an idiot. He may not have been trained in hazardous material transportation or been given any information on what was in his tanker. Just told to get in his cab, drive to this spot, pick up a trailer, and take it to that spot. When it started fuming, he went to check on the hatches just like it was a normal non-hazardous load.

We have a fairly well ingrained safety culture in the West. Most people understand the concept of hazardous materials and have a vague idea of what to do if there's an issue.
rtoldman

Post by rtoldman »

DaveAAA wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 4:53 am
kdahm wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:32 pm There's a more reasonable explanation that that the driver was an idiot. He may not have been trained in hazardous material transportation or been given any information on what was in his tanker. Just told to get in his cab, drive to this spot, pick up a trailer, and take it to that spot. When it started fuming, he went to check on the hatches just like it was a normal non-hazardous load.

We have a fairly well ingrained safety culture in the West. Most people understand the concept of hazardous materials and have a vague idea of what to do if there's an issue.
absolutely - proceed to nearest southern state, open the rear drain slightly and drive until tank is empty
jemhouston

Post by jemhouston »

rtoldman wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 11:55 pm
DaveAAA wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 4:53 am

absolutely - proceed to nearest southern state, open the rear drain slightly and drive until tank is empty
Point of Order. You drive to New Jersey to do that. Nobody will notice.
Belushi TD

Post by Belushi TD »

I beg your pardon. I've spent the last dozen years noticing and cleaning up after that manner of .....

Well...

I guess a good phrase would be.........

"job security"

Belushi TD
Craiglxviii

Post by Craiglxviii »

<makes mental note to never move to New Jersey>
Rocket J Squrriel

Post by Rocket J Squrriel »

Craiglxviii wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 2:38 pm <makes mental note to never move to New Jersey>
From the stories my wife told me about Rhode Island I would add that to the list.

When she started her job out there the conversation with her coworkers went like:
"Oh you're from Wisconsin? Well welcome to America!"
"Gina! She's not from Canada! Wisconsin is in America!"
"Oh? Is Wisconsin up by Pawtucket?

And this is all said in an accent that sounds like a mash of 'Brooklyn, Boston, a bit of Jersey Shore, and somehow Italian. Also 2-3 octaves higher and every 5th word starts with an 'f'.
Drunknsubmrnr

Post by Drunknsubmrnr »

Craiglxviii wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 2:38 pm <makes mental note to never move to New Jersey>
I just found out that there’s a radioactive site in Staten Island right across the KvK from me. They’re cleaning it up now.

Explains why the peppers on my front porch grow so fast and are so hot.
OSCSSW

Post by OSCSSW »

Drunknsubmrnr wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 1:48 pm
I just found out that there’s a radioactive site in Staten Island right across the KvK from me. They’re cleaning it up now.

Explains why the peppers on my front porch grow so fast and are so hot.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
How can man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his God?