Red Gepard: the 2S6/ZSU-30-2 Tunguska

Long and short stories from the 1984 movie
Matt Wiser

Red Gepard: the 2S6/ZSU-30-2 Tunguska

Post by Matt Wiser »

The most lethal, but less often seen, Soviet air defense system:

Red Gepard: The 2S6/ZSU-30-2 Tunguska at War

The Soviet successor to the ZSU-23-4 Shilka, the 2S6 (or as some referred it to, the ZSU-30-2), was comparable to the West German Gepard, though with the addition of the SA-19 SAM system. Developed in the 1970s and first seen by the West in 1982, the system still had a number of bugs that needed to be worked out before the Soviet Army considered it to be combat-ready. First seen in combat at Wichita in 1987, the system was a nasty surprise to American and Allied tactical aircraft and attack helicopter crews. Though countermeasures were soon developed, the system was always treated with a mix of respect and caution, managing to take a toll of aircraft and helicopters during the last two years of the war. An improved version was not ready in time before the Armistice, but served during the Second Russian Civil War, and still serves with the Russian Republic and Ukrainian Armies today.

Variants:

2S6: Original version first seen in 1982. New chassis with NBC system, two radars: E-Band detection radar and J-Band tracking radar (both share NATO/DOD code name Hot Shot), optical backup tracking for both guns and missiles. Two 30-mm cannon (2A38) with 1,900 rounds, four 9M311 SAMs (NATO/DOD designation SA-19 Grison). Missile range 5 miles, with laser proxmity fuze. Armor protection against only small-arms fire.

2S6M: Improved version first seen in 1989 in Eastern European Campaign but not in North America. Eight missiles instead of four, with improved fire-control, missiles, and radios. Cannon improved in terms of barrel life.

Service:

Intended to be the replacement for the ZSU-23-4 in the regimental air defense battalion. Initial combat debut at the Battle of Wichita in 1987, where it scored a number of initial successes, but was also shown to have some deficiencies, with the AGM-65 Maverick, BGM-71 TOW, and AGM-114 Hellfire outranging the guns, and in the Maverick's case, the missiles as well. The vehicle could also not stand up to 25-mm cannon fire from Bradley IFVs, let alone 105-mm or 120-mm tank main gun rounds. However, reliable EW data to tweak aircraft and AH-64 EW systems was slow to become available, and when the system appeared in Texas and Southern Arkansas for the first time in Fall, 1987, it was an unpleasant surprise to those who had never faced it.

Users:

Soviet Army: Used to replace the ZSU-23-4 in certain prewar Cat I tank and motor-rifle divisions as they underwent refitting. Production and deliveries were not sufficient to enable wholesale replacement of the Shilka, and the Tunguska, as called by the troops, had vehicles meant to replace ZSU-23s instead used to replace attrition in units equipped with the Tunguska. The vehicle did not see service in the Northern Theater.

Russian Republic: Used alongside ZSU-23-4 in Russian Republic Armed Forces during Second Russian Civil War and in fall of Rump USSR. Still in service.

Rump USSR: In service during and after Civil War, and in fall of the Soviet State. All either destroyed or captured.

Ukrainian Army: Some in service in Civil War, and in Ukrainian Army during Fall of the Rump Soviet State. Still in Service.

Cuban Army: About 50 vehicles left behind by Soviet Forces after withdrawal from Cuba in 1990. Used in Anti-Castro Uprising on both sides in 2009. Survivors either scrapped or turned over to U.S. Forces.

Mexican Army: About 40 vehicles left behind by Soviets used by Mexican Army 1990-2010. Most destroyed during Baja War.

Captured Vehicles
:

A few specimens, including at least two with full missile loadout, captured intact after Wichita. One shipped to China Lake NAWC for missile and gun tests, other shipped to UK. Others evaluated at Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD, Several other specimens found in Texas in 1988-89 also evaluated at both facilities, and in UK. All now passed to museums.
The difference between diplomacy and war is this: Diplomacy is the art of telling someone to go to hell so elegantly that they pack for the trip.
War is bringing hell down on that someone.
Wolfman

Re: Red Gepard: the 2S6/ZSU-30-2 Tunguska

Post by Wolfman »

God, we aircrews hated that thing with a burning passion…
“For a brick, he flew pretty good!” Sgt. Major A.J. Johnson, Halo 2

To err is human; to forgive is not SAC policy.

“This is Raven 2-5. This is my sandbox. You will not drop, acknowledge.” David Flanagan, former Raven FAC
Poohbah

Post by Poohbah »

Wolfman wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:11 pm God, we aircrews hated that thing with a burning passion…
We had one come around a corner in Dalworthington, and thankfully the guns were pointed at a house they thought they'd taken fire from.

Two LAV-25s and three dismounted squads were shooting it up with 25mm and AT4s before a Cobra driver said, "Guys, I'm pretty sure it's dead. Much obliged."

The Division G-2 was NOT happy with us. Whatever was left was broken and thoroughly burnt.
Wolfman

Post by Wolfman »

Meh. Good riddance to some seriously bad rubbish…

“This is Raven 2-5. This is my sandbox. You will not drop, acknowledge.” David Flanagan, former Raven FAC
jemhouston

Post by jemhouston »

Nobody suggested to the G-2, the next time they see on, they call him to collect it. :roll:

Why was it in knife fighting range of the front?
Poohbah

Post by Poohbah »

jemhouston wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:30 pm Nobody suggested to the G-2, the next time they see on, they call him to collect it. :roll:

Fifth MarDiv had a habit of moving the location of "the front" by 20-plus miles without bothering to tell Ivan in advance.
Jotun

Post by Jotun »

That thing is the reason the West Germans came up with the Gepard A3, with improved fire control, better radars and the twin Stinger launchers mounted on the cases of the 35mm cannon. It was mostly in service by the time the Bundeswehr went east.
Wolfman

Post by Wolfman »

Poohbah wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 11:07 pm
jemhouston wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:30 pm Nobody suggested to the G-2, the next time they see on, they call him to collect it. :roll:

Fifth MarDiv had a habit of moving the location of "the front" by 20-plus miles without bothering to tell Ivan in advance.
And such a good habit to have!

Bernard Woolley

Post by Bernard Woolley »

I have mates in the RAF and acquaintances in the RCAF who are very glad they never faced the 2S6. Though I do know someone who was with one of the two Phantom squadrons who served on the Southern Theatre near the end. The Tunguska was responsible for him having a Martin-Baker let-down. He was lucky that he and his pilot were picked up by friendly CSAR fairly quickly.
Poohbah

Post by Poohbah »

Bernard Woolley wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:19 pm I have mates in the RAF and acquaintances in the RCAF who are very glad they never faced the 2S6. Though I do know someone who was with one of the two Phantom squadrons who served on the Southern Theatre near the end. The Tunguska was responsible for him having a Martin-Baker let-down. He was lucky that he and his pilot were picked up by friendly CSAR fairly quickly.
Near the end, CSAR was amazingly good compared to 1985/86.

One legendary Caesar mission in November '89 picked up an Intruder crew from VA-65. The entire crew of the USAF MH-53J were awarded Air Force Crosses for the deed.

They yanked the crew out of Havana Bay...
jemhouston

Post by jemhouston »

Poohbah wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 11:28 pm
Bernard Woolley wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:19 pm I have mates in the RAF and acquaintances in the RCAF who are very glad they never faced the 2S6. Though I do know someone who was with one of the two Phantom squadrons who served on the Southern Theatre near the end. The Tunguska was responsible for him having a Martin-Baker let-down. He was lucky that he and his pilot were picked up by friendly CSAR fairly quickly.

One legendary Caesar mission in November '89 picked up an Intruder crew from VA-65. The entire crew of the USAF MH-53J were awarded Air Force Crosses for the deed.

How many people did Fidel shoot and what was the suppression fire, Arc-Light, 8" or 16"?
Matt Wiser

Post by Matt Wiser »

Bev Lynne knows the pilot and copilot in question. That was one of the few successful rescues that close in. Normally, one had to be at least 1,000 yards offshore before a CSAR would be launched. There are also a number of rescues on the island proper-but those usually took place at night, and some distance away from target areas (at least 5, sometimes 10 NM).
The difference between diplomacy and war is this: Diplomacy is the art of telling someone to go to hell so elegantly that they pack for the trip.
War is bringing hell down on that someone.
Poohbah

Post by Poohbah »

jemhouston wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 12:12 am

How many people did Fidel shoot and what was the suppression fire, Arc-Light, 8" or 16"?
Suppression fire was MAG-23 and CVW-13 out of Key West, and I understand that just about everyone on the staff of the Havana Military District got popped, all the way down to the guy who made the coffee.
Wolfman

Post by Wolfman »

Poohbah wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:20 pm
jemhouston wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 12:12 am

Suppression fire was MAG-23 and CVW-13 out of Key West, and I understand that just about everyone on the staff of the Havana Military District got popped, all the way down to the guy who made the coffee.
The families were also shot for the failure…

Poohbah

Post by Poohbah »

Wolfman wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 9:31 pm
Poohbah wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 11:07 pm

And such a good habit to have!
One side effect was that Ivan started getting twitchy if Fifth MarDiv suddenly disappeared from contact.

Either we were in Corps/Theater reserve, or we were about to turn up in the most inconvenient location possible.
Wolfman

Post by Wolfman »

That place being in their rear causing havoc?

Poohbah

Post by Poohbah »

Wolfman wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 2:10 pm That place being in their rear causing havoc?
With their intel officers wondering how the f*** we got there before anyone actually noticed...

One of the legendary moments was when K/3/27 announced their presence in a "secure" part of Dallas when their lead platoon drove through a Motor Rifle Division HQ tent compound...that platoon's tactical call sign became Toro, a sly reference to the Schlitz Malt Liquor Bull...
Wolfman

Post by Wolfman »

Poohbah wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 3:29 pm
Wolfman wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 2:10 pm That place being in their rear causing havoc?
With their intel officers wondering how the f*** we got there before anyone actually noticed...

One of the legendary moments was when K/3/27 announced their presence in a "secure" part of Dallas when their lead platoon drove through a Motor Rifle Division HQ tent compound...that platoon's tactical call sign became Toro, a sly reference to the Schlitz Malt Liquor Bull...
I’m starting to think that we need a thread devoted to stories about Fifth MarDiv’s moving the front forward twenty miles into Ivan’s rear without prior notice and the havoc they caused in the process…

Poohbah

Post by Poohbah »

Wolfman wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:15 am

I’m starting to think that we need a thread devoted to stories about Fifth MarDiv’s moving the front forward twenty miles into Ivan’s rear without prior notice and the havoc they caused in the process…
At some point, we need to have a solid history of the division, including how it was formed from the Provisional Rifle Companies of Marine Air Groups 16 and 39 created during the Tri-County Military Emergency, how the TO&E evolved with the needs of the Highway War, and major engagements fought.
TheMann

Post by TheMann »

Wolfman wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:15 am

I dunno how many times (it was a few) that I or somebody in my squadron got called for CAS on a unit and when they told us where we needed to be, the intel officer's comment was something along the lines of "How the fuck did they get THERE?!" Usually right before we went off for the job and often found up we were the cleanup crew or chasing Ivans that was trying to bug out and regroup....