General Discussion Thread

Long and short stories from the 1984 movie
jemhouston

Re: General Discussion Thread

Post by jemhouston »

I didn't think the US belong to the ICC, so would that be acceptable to the US?
Poohbah

Post by Poohbah »

We may accept it on the basis of "we didn't have any dog in this particular fight "
Bernard Woolley

Post by Bernard Woolley »

BREAKING NEWS!

The first consequence of Ecuador’s actions has just taken place. Stating that they were following the precedent set by Ecuador, Iran sent police into the French Embassy to arrest an Iranian activist who had been campaigning for women’s rights. She had taken shelter in the embassy when Iranian authorities threatened her life.

There was a brief standoff between Iranian police and French National Gendarmerie embassy guards, before the Iranian police withdrew. The embassy is now surrounded by Iranian police and IGRC. Iran has condemned France for giving sanctuary to the activist and has demanded that they be handed over.

Thanks, Ecuador! 👏
Bernard Woolley

Post by Bernard Woolley »

jemhouston wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:05 am I didn't think the US belong to the ICC, so would that be acceptable to the US?
Depends on whether the person in question still has their US citizenship.
Poohbah

Post by Poohbah »

Bernard Woolley wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:12 am BREAKING NEWS!

The first consequence of Ecuador’s actions has just taken place. Stating that they were following the precedent set by Ecuador, Iran sent police into the French Embassy to arrest an Iranian activist who had been campaigning for women’s rights. She had taken shelter in the embassy when Iranian authorities threatened her life.

There was a brief standoff between Iranian police and French National Gendarmerie embassy guards, before the Iranian police withdrew. The embassy is now surrounded by Iranian police and IGRC. Iran has condemned France for giving sanctuary to the activist and has demanded that they be handed over.

Thanks, Ecuador! 👏
Ecuador should say, "You a**holes started it in 1979."
Wolfman

Post by Wolfman »

Well, this is a mess.
“For a brick, he flew pretty good!” Sgt. Major A.J. Johnson, Halo 2

To err is human; to forgive is not SAC policy.

“This is Raven 2-5. This is my sandbox. You will not drop, acknowledge.” David Flanagan, former Raven FAC
Matt Wiser

Post by Matt Wiser »

Rumor has it (and these come out of D.C., mind) that the wanted subject is a PSD higher-up; namely, the fella who ran their kidnapping and assassination operations. (Little of the former, and mostly bunglers on the latter, but they did score a few times) DOJ has refused to comment on specific cases, but has said that if waiving the death penalty is what is needed to obtain extradition for a fugitive, then that's what will be done.
The difference between diplomacy and war is this: Diplomacy is the art of telling someone to go to hell so elegantly that they pack for the trip.
War is bringing hell down on that someone.
Lordroel

Post by Lordroel »

Bernard Woolley wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:13 am
jemhouston wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:05 am I didn't think the US belong to the ICC, so would that be acceptable to the US?
I toughed the DOJ made it clear that regardless of any fugitive having renounced their United States citizenship they United states does not as they want them to stand trail as United States citizen and to be able to prosecute them to the full extend of the law, also helps with extradition i heard.
Poohbah

Post by Poohbah »

Lordroel wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:50 am
Bernard Woolley wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:13 am
I toughed the DOJ made it clear that regardless of any fugitive having renounced their United States citizenship they United states does not as they want them to stand trail as United States citizen and to be able to prosecute them to the full extend of the law, also helps with extradition i heard.
Renouncing your citizenship doesn't clear you of accountability for homicide...
Matt Wiser

Post by Matt Wiser »

Quite. And as for the ICC? Even though the U.S. isn't a member, they don't take cases retroactive to the court's date of founding.
The difference between diplomacy and war is this: Diplomacy is the art of telling someone to go to hell so elegantly that they pack for the trip.
jemhouston

Post by jemhouston »

There is a fine argument that spending 20 years plus in Supermax is worse than spending a decade on death row. Not to mention appeals get greater going over in capital cases.
Johnnie Lyle

Post by Johnnie Lyle »

jemhouston wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:41 am There is a fine argument that spending 20 years plus in Supermax is worse than spending a decade on death row. Not to mention appeals get greater going over in capital cases.
Supermax has more isolation but protection from ODCs than, say, general population.

Throw a PSD in GenPop and they’ll wish you executed them.
Matt Wiser

Post by Matt Wiser »

The Bureau of Prisons has some facilities set aside for those convicted of Collaboration and Treason (and related offenses). They make up the whole unit at those prisons. Appealing as it is to have prison justice meted out to those people, the BOP has to keep them alive and relatively intact so that they can serve their sentence.
Poohbah

Post by Poohbah »

Matt Wiser wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:34 am The Bureau of Prisons has some facilities set aside for those convicted of Collaboration and Treason (and related offenses). They make up the whole unit at those prisons. Appealing as it is to have prison justice meted out to those people, the BOP has to keep them alive and relatively intact so that they can serve their sentence.
Funny thing is . . . the hierarchy of prisoners still maps onto the Collaboration/Treason facilities. If they catch wind of a prisoner being a sex offender, s/he/it is going to die very, very badly if the guards ever screw up.
Matt Wiser

Post by Matt Wiser »

That goes without saying. It's also known that many sex offenders ask to be put in the unit with the traitors, because that's the only unit where they are actually safe.
Poohbah

Post by Poohbah »

Sad news today:

General Kevin Bueller, USMC (Retired), passed away overnight of natural causes in his sleep at his home in Appomattox, Virginia.

To get a feel for the kind of man he was, this bit from the Sixth Army War Diary during 49 Easting says it all:
1335Z: III Corps TAC CP requested SITREP from HQ 5THMARDIV.
1337Z Message received from HQ 5THMARDIV: "GENERAL BUELLER SENDS HIS COMPLIMENTS AND SAYS THAT IF THE MARINES HE HAD THE HONOR TO COMMAND THIS DAY CAN'T HOLD THIS POSITION, ALL HELL CAN'T HOLD IT."
jemhouston

Post by jemhouston »

Matt Wiser wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:47 am That goes without saying. It's also known that many sex offenders ask to be put in the unit with the traitors, because that's the only unit where they are actually safe.
Some prisons have a sub section for traitors with sex offenses conviction. At one time Bureau of Prison looked at having three prisons just for crimes related to the war. Some prison officials and the guard's union talked them out of it. The stress of being around those prisoners are hard on personnel. One guard told the commission looking at the issue, "I'd rather guard Hannibal Lector, than a Quisling. After a shift, I need to steam clean my skin."
Wolfman

Post by Wolfman »

During the run up to the Baja War, did Communist Mexico try to insert special forces into the Midgetman patrol areas?

“This is Raven 2-5. This is my sandbox. You will not drop, acknowledge.” David Flanagan, former Raven FAC
Poohbah

Post by Poohbah »

Wolfman wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:01 pm During the run up to the Baja War, did Communist Mexico try to insert special forces into the Midgetman patrol areas?
You might very well think that; I couldn't possibly comment.
Wolfman

Post by Wolfman »

Poohbah wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:25 pm
Wolfman wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:01 pm During the run up to the Baja War, did Communist Mexico try to insert special forces into the Midgetman patrol areas?
You might very well think that; I couldn't possibly comment.
After the Baja War, the CO of VMA(AW)-121 Green Knights told me that his squadron had flown several sorties to delouse the patrol boxes, but he didn’t say anything more, saying that it was finger-breaking territory.