General Discussion Thread

Long and short stories from the 1984 movie
jemhouston

Re: General Discussion Thread

Post by jemhouston »

I hate to say it, but storming an embassy is a step too far for me. If we start doing it, every Thomas, Dick, and (fill in blank), will do it to ours. I know they will anyway, but why give them a cheap talking point.
Bernard Woolley

Post by Bernard Woolley »

I agree. It sets a really bad precedent. There’s a reason the Vienna Convention exists. When someone does it to one of our embassies, they’ll use Ecuador’s actions as justification. IMVHO, the US should refuse to accept him if Ecuador tries to hand him over, or seek to extradite him.

I would hope that the FCO and State Department make it clear to Ecuador what a stupid action that was. They’ve put the whole international system of diplomacy at risk.

BREAKING NEWS: The Ecuadorean Embassies in both Caracas and Mexico City have had their electricity cut off. The BBC is reporting that they have also been surrounded by police and troops. <Slow hand clap for Ecuador> 👏
Wolfman

Post by Wolfman »

What a bunch of idiots… :roll: :roll:
“For a brick, he flew pretty good!” Sgt. Major A.J. Johnson, Halo 2

To err is human; to forgive is not SAC policy.

“This is Raven 2-5. This is my sandbox. You will not drop, acknowledge.” David Flanagan, former Raven FAC
Poohbah

Post by Poohbah »

Do we need to do a strategic airlift of popcorn to American embassies in Latin America?
jemhouston

Post by jemhouston »

Poohbah wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:03 am Do we need to do a strategic airlift of popcorn to American embassies in Latin America?
Have them buy local and help the local market.

At times like this, I miss the town jester. :D
Bernard Woolley

The major news agencies are reporting that Mexico and Venezuela are demanding that Ecuador return the American to the Mexican Embassy, apologise and pay for damage to the embassy. They are threatening that if those demands are not met, they will forcibly enter the Ecuadorian Embassies in their countries and expel the staff by force.

Our FCO has announced that all non-essential staff are being evacuated from the Caracas and Mexico City embassies. There is also now an advisory that all British citizens should leave.

I’m hearing from friends in the MoD that they’ve been asked to help with a review of security of British embassies and High Commissions. Now, don’t worry, I’m not talking out of school. We want potential bad actors to know that we’re protecting ourselves.

I also understand that the Foreign Secretary is going to have to come into the office tomorrow. Which he’ll love. The Venezuelan and Mexican Ambassadors will be getting summoned to be told His Majesty’s Government disapproves of surrounding embassies with armed troops. After that, the Ecuadorian Ambassador will be summoned to be told that HMG also disapproves of seizing people from embassies, no matter what they have done. And for being the cause of the whole bloody mess.
Poohbah

Post by Poohbah »

Bernard Woolley wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:25 am The major news agencies are reporting that Mexico and Venezuela are demanding that Ecuador return the American to the Mexican Embassy, apologise and pay for damage to the embassy. They are threatening that if those demands are not met, they will forcibly enter the Ecuadorian Embassies in their countries and expel the staff by force.

Our FCO has announced that all non-essential staff are being evacuated from the Caracas and Mexico City embassies. There is also now an advisory that all British citizens should leave.

I’m hearing from friends in the MoD that they’ve been asked to help with a review of security of British embassies and High Commissions. Now, don’t worry, I’m not talking out of school. We want potential bad actors to know that we’re protecting ourselves.

I also understand that the Foreign Secretary is going to have to come into the office tomorrow. Which he’ll love. The Venezuelan and Mexican Ambassadors will be getting summoned to be told His Majesty’s Government disapproves of surrounding embassies with armed troops. After that, the Ecuadorian Ambassador will be summoned to be told that HMG also disapproves of seizing people from embassies, no matter what they have done. And for being the cause of the whole bloody mess.
All three should be in the same room, and the Foreign Secretary should summon a retired Etonian headmaster to give them a proper dressing down.

Either that, or a retired Sergeant Major to give them wall-to-wall counseling.
jemhouston

Post by jemhouston »

I was thinking a Mother Superior with a ruler.
Lordroel

Post by Lordroel »

Nicaragua has also also cut off diplomatic ties with Ecuador as a result of the "unusual and reprehensible action", a government statement quoted, Nicaragua has sins 2007 been ruled by Daniel Ortega who is known to be sympathetic to Mexico and Venezuela.
Wolfman

Post by Wolfman »

Why not all three of those figures?

“This is Raven 2-5. This is my sandbox. You will not drop, acknowledge.” David Flanagan, former Raven FAC
Poohbah

Post by Poohbah »

jemhouston wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:34 am I was thinking a Mother Superior with a ruler.
+4 Yardstick of Knuckle-Smiting, inflicts Holy Damage
jemhouston

Post by jemhouston »

Poohbah wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:20 pm
jemhouston wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:34 am I was thinking a Mother Superior with a ruler.
+4 Yardstick of Knuckle-Smiting, inflicts Holy Damage
If she had rolling pin, she'd be a holy roller.
Wolfman

Post by Wolfman »

So, is Ecuador backing down or are they determined to be terminally stupid?

Bernard Woolley

I think they are trying to find a way to back down without looking humiliated.
Wolfman

Post by Wolfman »

Bernard Woolley wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:40 am I think they are trying to find a way to back down without looking humiliated.
Too late for that. I think they’re just going to have to accept the humiliation as the price of getting out of this situation…

Poohbah

Post by Poohbah »

Bernard Woolley wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:40 am I think they are trying to find a way to back down without looking humiliated.
They're in Zone Five Afterburner Self-Inflicted Atomic Wedgie Humiliated already.
Matt Wiser

Post by Matt Wiser »

Definitely: they should've thought of the diplomatic consequences before trying this stunt. Too late now.
The difference between diplomacy and war is this: Diplomacy is the art of telling someone to go to hell so elegantly that they pack for the trip.
War is bringing hell down on that someone.
Bernard Woolley

Looks like there is are rumours of some sort of deal in the air.
Lordroel

Post by Lordroel »

Bernard Woolley wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:54 pm Looks like there is are rumours of some sort of deal in the air.
Is this why we do not get the name of the person, because if it might be known and it is a high target some in the United States will insist on having him turned over despite how it happen.
Bernard Woolley

I’ve no idea who he is. Our American member may know.

The Ecuadorean Interior Minister has given a press conference. He stated that certain senior police officers “misunderstood their instructions”. They were to arrest the American if he left the embassy. The Minister claimed there was a misunderstanding and instructions that said “should not enter the embassy” was garbled as “should enter the embassy.” Ecuador has expressed regret regarding the events and will, of course, pay for damage to the Mexican Embassy.

There is still the issue of the American. There has been a proposal from the Swiss that he be handed over to a third party (not them!). As he is accused of War Crimes, there is a suggestion that the ICC may issue an international arrest warrant. Ecuador is a signatory to the ICC, so would be duty bound to hand him over. That would take things out of their hands.

Good news is that in reaction to the Ecuadorean statement, Venezuela and Mexico have restored electricity and have withdrawn troops from around the embassies in their countries. However, they have left special police units in place. The worst of the crisis does seem over.