General Discussion Thread

Long and short stories from the 1984 movie
Wolfman

Re: General Discussion Thread

Post by Wolfman »

Sucks to be you, Ivan.
“For a brick, he flew pretty good!” Sgt. Major A.J. Johnson, Halo 2

To err is human; to forgive is not SAC policy.

“This is Raven 2-5. This is my sandbox. You will not drop, acknowledge.” David Flanagan, former Raven FAC
Matt Wiser

Post by Matt Wiser »

CNN is reporting from their Pentagon Correspondent that a missile test was in progress, and instead of the missile being ejected from the boat, breaking water and then igniting the first stage? The missile stage apparently ignited in the tube. Result was loss of boat and crew.
The difference between diplomacy and war is this: Diplomacy is the art of telling someone to go to hell so elegantly that they pack for the trip.
War is bringing hell down on that someone.
Matryoshka

Post by Matryoshka »

Matt Wiser wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:37 am CNN is reporting from their Pentagon Correspondent that a missile test was in progress, and instead of the missile being ejected from the boat, breaking water and then igniting the first stage? The missile stage apparently ignited in the tube. Result was loss of boat and crew.
Yikes. Don’t those things contain ‘melt the whole boat and its contents/crew to slag’ levels of energy? Or did it ‘just’ hot-launch and burn an unsurvivably-large hole in the hull?
Matt Wiser

Post by Matt Wiser »

Probably the latter, for there is a wreck.
The difference between diplomacy and war is this: Diplomacy is the art of telling someone to go to hell so elegantly that they pack for the trip.
Poohbah

Post by Poohbah »

Matryoshka wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:49 am
Matt Wiser wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:37 am CNN is reporting from their Pentagon Correspondent that a missile test was in progress, and instead of the missile being ejected from the boat, breaking water and then igniting the first stage? The missile stage apparently ignited in the tube. Result was loss of boat and crew.
Yikes. Don’t those things contain ‘melt the whole boat and its contents/crew to slag’ levels of energy? Or did it ‘just’ hot-launch and burn an unsurvivably-large hole in the hull?
(Twiddles slide rule)

In theory, assuming that the thermal energy can be released evenly to the entire boat, yes.

In reality, what you get is a RUD event.

I guess someone forgot to carry the two.
Matt Wiser

Post by Matt Wiser »

And you can bet that the boats in port will be held there, pending checks of both the missile tubes and the missiles themselves, and those on patrol will be called back for the same purpose. The SS-N-30 has had more than its share of development issues, and is really a naval version of the SS-25/27 ICBM. Somehow, the transition from land missile to sea-based got thrown multiple curves, and yet, the Russian Navy deployed it anyway.
Lordroel

Post by Lordroel »

Correct me if i am wrong, but the Russians have lost more boomers in peace (two now) than the Soviets have during the war.
jemhouston

Post by jemhouston »

Lordroel wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:38 am Correct me if i am wrong, but the Russians have lost more boomers in peace (two now) than the Soviets have during the war.
The USN / RN went a hunting on the boomers, so I hope they got more than two during the war.
Lordroel

Post by Lordroel »

jemhouston wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:20 am
Lordroel wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:38 am Correct me if i am wrong, but the Russians have lost more boomers in peace (two now) than the Soviets have during the war.
The USN / RN went a hunting on the boomers, so I hope they got more than two during the war.
I toughed the USN/RN did not hunt Soviet boomers in their Kara Sea bastion as they might have launched their missiles if they became aware of being under atack.
jemhouston

Post by jemhouston »

I remember a post on the old board where a GRU General was briefing other GRU on the state of the war. If I remember correctly, instead of going for convoy interdiction only, the USN / RN subs were going after the boomers in the bastions, along with Eastern Express targeting the Strategic Forces on land, including the missile fields, and mfg centers.

On Day 1 of the war, with the ICBM attacks, the Soviets had a clear lead on the strategic forces, at this point of the story the US had a clear lead. I think the US was starting to go after the Soviet Theater Nukes at this point also. Bolo II was part of it.
Lordroel

Post by Lordroel »

jemhouston wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:08 pm I remember a post on the old board where a GRU General was briefing other GRU on the state of the war. If I remember correctly, instead of going for convoy interdiction only, the USN / RN subs were going after the boomers in the bastions, along with Eastern Express targeting the Strategic Forces on land, including the missile fields, and mfg centers.

On Day 1 of the war, with the ICBM attacks, the Soviets had a clear lead on the strategic forces, at this point of the story the US had a clear lead. I think the US was starting to go after the Soviet Theater Nukes at this point also. Bolo II was part of it.
OOC: that is why i missed the old board and threads from AH.com to now, so much information has been lost.
Wolfman

Post by Wolfman »

Lordroel wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:29 pm
jemhouston wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:08 pm I remember a post on the old board where a GRU General was briefing other GRU on the state of the war. If I remember correctly, instead of going for convoy interdiction only, the USN / RN subs were going after the boomers in the bastions, along with Eastern Express targeting the Strategic Forces on land, including the missile fields, and mfg centers.

OOC: that is why i missed the old board and threads from AH.com to now, so much information has been lost.
OOC: That makes two of us…

“This is Raven 2-5. This is my sandbox. You will not drop, acknowledge.” David Flanagan, former Raven FAC
Poohbah

Post by Poohbah »

Thank you, it was a moment from Sophie's pre-Bolo II tale.
jemhouston

Post by jemhouston »

Poohbah wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:10 pm

Thank you, it was a moment from Sophie's pre-Bolo II tale.
I couldn't remember if you or Matt had done it Thanks
Lordroel

Post by Lordroel »

For the Americans members out there, i know New Jersey (BB-62) was decommissioned in 2018 and became a museum ship in her namesake state, but why is she being towed to Philadelphia on the way to Philadelphia Naval Yard drydock after only 6 years, is there still some work to be done on here that did not happend when she was decommissioned.

Wolfman

Post by Wolfman »

Maintenance that can’t be done dockside.

Lordroel

Post by Lordroel »

Wolfman wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:16 pm Maintenance that can’t be done dockside.
Must be some maintenance after only 6 years out of serivice.
Poohbah

Post by Poohbah »

Lordroel wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:44 pm
Wolfman wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:16 pm Maintenance that can’t be done dockside.
Must be some maintenance after only 6 years out of serivice.
Word is that she missed two drydockings in her final years because the Navy wasn't sure of her retirement date.
Jotun

Post by Jotun »

Lordroel wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:29 pm Seems there is in the news that one of the new Russian Russian Borei-A-class nuclear-powered ballistic missile submarine, the Imperator Aleksandr III has some problems following a failed R-30 Bulava missile test, the Imperator Aleksandr III is one of the eight Borei-A-class nuclear-powered ballistic missile submarines the Russian Navy operates out of Severomorsk, Murmansk Oblast.
OOC: Linguistic nitpick, they‘d call it Czar Alexander III, I think.
Johnnie Lyle

Post by Johnnie Lyle »

Jotun wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:35 pm
Lordroel wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:29 pm Seems there is in the news that one of the new Russian Russian Borei-A-class nuclear-powered ballistic missile submarine, the Imperator Aleksandr III has some problems following a failed R-30 Bulava missile test, the Imperator Aleksandr III is one of the eight Borei-A-class nuclear-powered ballistic missile submarines the Russian Navy operates out of Severomorsk, Murmansk Oblast.
OOC: Linguistic nitpick, they‘d call it Czar Alexander III, I think.
OOC: It depends on whether they’re trying to link her back to the previous two ships named that.

IC: Bad luck name, given Tsushima and the Black Sea fleet mess.