Hello, everyone!

The long and short stories of 'The Last War' by Jan Niemczyk and others
Johnnie Lyle

Re: Hello, everyone!

Post by Johnnie Lyle »

Jotun wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 2:10 pm Damn. Using the wayback machine is an exercise in frustration.

"Oh, I found something I could save."
"What? Currently not available / wasn't saved? GAH!"
Amen!
Kendog52361

Post by Kendog52361 »

clancyphile wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:29 pm Any word on the old chapters?
So, I've gone back and basically clicked through each "chapter page" from "1-103" through to about 171, and most of them are clickable, and I've saved the page to my computer. I only saved the page with the chapter on it, not the whole thing, and several chapters were apparently not archived on the Internet Archive. The ones that I've found, that don't have a saved copy are, going from Chapter 1 through to Chapter 170/171, are Chapters 127, 128, 147, 167, and 169. The latest copy of the Index that I found, saved back on the old Board in 2015, contains links up through Chapter 234. There is a later saved copy of the Index on the Internet Archive, from March 08, 2016, but I can't access that "snapshot", so I don't know what, if anything, is in it/wrong with it.

Here is the latest accessible Index, from the 2015 Snapshot:

https://web.archive.org/web/20150307090 ... =28&t=3159

Like I said above, I have Chapters 1-170 (except for those mentioned above) saved onto my computer, but I don't know what you would want done with them. I didn't clean them up or anything, but I could probably compress the file and send it to somebody if they wanted to go through it, clean it up, and so on.
James1978

Post by James1978 »

To be clear, no chapters from the main story are "lost". Bernard has them.

Bernard was hoping that the archive database the management has could be used to restore some sort of archive, and thus spare considerable time in reposting all those chapters. Since it appears that the DB is not what we had hoped for, it's more a question of Bernard taking the time to repost all the chapters.

Now once upon a time, Bernard would bundle a group of chapters into "Complete Version Pt.X" and they were shared . . . somewhere.
I've got Complete Version Parts 1-8, which covers Prologue through Chapter 293.
Then, I was able to grab Chapters 302 onwards off of Navweaps.
All are clean and formatted.

As for fact files / orbats / side stories, without the old DB . . . yea, some of them are lost to time.
Having said that, Bernard and I do have most of the orbats and weapons/equipment fact files. But we also have non-digital lives, so please be patient.
Bernard Woolley

Post by Bernard Woolley »

Reposting chapters is something I’m not looking forward to. Especially, since I’ll be really tempted to re-write stuff, :shock:
Jotun

Post by Jotun »

Bernard Woolley wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 6:29 pm Reposting chapters is something I’m not looking forward to. Especially, since I’ll be really tempted to re-write stuff, :shock:
Take it from me, just go COPY/PASTE and on to the next one. I nearly dislocated something from cringing so much about the stuff I wrote :mrgreen:
Nik_SpeakerToCats

Post by Nik_SpeakerToCats »

"I nearly dislocated something from cringing so much about the stuff I wrote..."

Occupational hazard: I still keep finding subtle bloopers in my stories. Even stuff that's been 'stable' for a decade or two suddenly presents a bug or unfortunate phrasing...

And, yes, sometimes I lose my nerve, cannot write for fear of perpetrating 'stoopids'.

This, despite my editing being recursive unto OCD...
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Jotun

Post by Jotun »

Jan. One thing I need to know: Is transcribing the old stuff from the clay tablets they were originally written on hard? 😁
Bernard Woolley

Very funny! Who said Ze Germans have no sense of humour! :lol:
Wolfman

Post by Wolfman »

Jotun wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 3:51 pm Jan. One thing I need to know: Is transcribing the old stuff from the clay tablets they were originally written on hard? 😁
Are they in Cuneiform or Egyptian hieroglyphics?
“For a brick, he flew pretty good!” Sgt. Major A.J. Johnson, Halo 2

To err is human; to forgive is not SAC policy.

“This is Raven 2-5. This is my sandbox. You will not drop, acknowledge.” David Flanagan, former Raven FAC
jemhouston

Post by jemhouston »

Wolfman wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:35 pm
Jotun wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 3:51 pm Jan. One thing I need to know: Is transcribing the old stuff from the clay tablets they were originally written on hard? 😁
Where's Methos when you need him?
Wolfman

Post by Wolfman »

jemhouston wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:34 pm
Wolfman wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:35 pm
Where's Methos when you need him?
That’s a very good question!
“For a brick, he flew pretty good!” Sgt. Major A.J. Johnson, Halo 2

To err is human; to forgive is not SAC policy.

“This is Raven 2-5. This is my sandbox. You will not drop, acknowledge.” David Flanagan, former Raven FAC
FrankClarady1965

Post by FrankClarady1965 »

Bernard Woolley wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:14 pm Now that we’re back in business, I’ll start by reposting the chapters that were missed before the shut down. In the longer term the older chapters and other stuff will get reposted.
I really hope it'll be fairly soon. I think there's chapters I missed that aren't included right now in Chapters 1 thru 348. That, and I just want to catch up and enjoy! This has been a consistently well-written and well-don series, and I've truly enjoyed it and anticipation rises each month waiting for the next installment to be posted. A hardy Bravo Zulu to all for a magnificent on-going work!
:D :D :D
Mario Rossi

Post by Mario Rossi »

Hi!

During all these years a lot of things have changed in my life and both time and interest in some matters had fizzled out a little; also my own worldview has become more radical and probably is now at odds with the one of the majority of the members of the forum, at least for how I remember it.

Nevertheless, while reading unrelated history books I suddenly remembered of TLW and, out of curiosity, I tried to reach the old board, only to found it de facto out of service.

I briefly thought that, after so many years, maybe people just let it die but I decide to attempt looking for it in the larger Internet and so I got in here again: I also read that some items had meanwhile been lost, including fact-files written by me, then I said to myself "Well, let's try get them for these guys" .

Such research however has proven unsuccessful: way too many laptop changes and USB pen or portable Hard Disk gone, not to mention online links and bookmark no more active.

To fix this I decided to completely rewrite them, even if at slow pace, with more details and more documented/realistic numbers.

The first one will be the 2005 AM OrBat, very soon available in its 2.0 version.

Hope you'll find it useful.

P.S. Thanks to Matt for the account's activation.
Craiglxviii

Post by Craiglxviii »

Mario Rossi wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 11:35 am Hi!

During all these years a lot of things have changed in my life and both time and interest in some matters had fizzled out a little; also my own worldview has become more radical and probably is now at odds with the one of the majority of the members of the forum, at least for how I remember it.

Nevertheless, while reading unrelated history books I suddenly remembered of TLW and, out of curiosity, I tried to reach the old board, only to found it de facto out of service.

I briefly thought that, after so many years, maybe people just let it die but I decide to attempt looking for it in the larger Internet and so I got in here again: I also read that some items had meanwhile been lost, including fact-files written by me, then I said to myself "Well, let's try get them for these guys" .

Such research however has proven unsuccessful: way too many laptop changes and USB pen or portable Hard Disk gone, not to mention online links and bookmark no more active.

To fix this I decided to completely rewrite them, even if at slow pace, with more details and more documented/realistic numbers.

The first one will be the 2005 AM OrBat, very soon available in its 2.0 version.

Ciao bello! What was your name on the old board then?
Mario Rossi

Post by Mario Rossi »

Just the same, Mario Rossi :D

I think I stopped posting on the old board about ten years ago; before that I usually focused on somewhat niche topics inside the TLWverse, like NATO Southern flank air forces or NSWP minor ones, plus the Balkans and other oddities.
James1978

Post by James1978 »

Mario Rossi wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 11:35 am Hi!

Hey! Great to see you found us! Though I'm sorry your personal copies of your work are lost. :(
I was really hoping your Romanian post-POD factfile was still around.

I do have copies of your Romanian and Hungarian AF ORBATs, with the Hungarian one reposted with credit to you.

I have flying unit only portions of your Italian and Spanish AFs in a spreadsheet if they would help you with your re-writes.
Mario Rossi

Post by Mario Rossi »

Thank you for the Hungarian and Romanian air forces! 👍

As for the AM, I'm in the final editing for forum view, I hope tò post it during this weekend, while the EdA's OrBat needs just the Iberia commandeered fleet section.

Speaking of the Romanian history factfile: I still have a rough draft that with some additional research should be OK for posting; in the end it's all about get some free time to work on it 😄
Belushi TD

Post by Belushi TD »

Hey, welcome back!

We'll not shit on you for your personal politics, only if you argue like a .... well.... unpleasant 4 letter word.

Very glad you found your way back here. If you happen to be in touch with others who have not made it, feel free to try to drag them back in!

Belushi TD
James1978

Post by James1978 »

Mario Rossi wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 8:44 am Thank you for the Hungarian and Romanian air forces! 👍
You are most welcome. I just wish I'd saved them all before that board crashed.
As for the AM, I'm in the final editing for forum view, I hope tò post it during this weekend, while the EdA's OrBat needs just the Iberia commandeered fleet section.
If you want, there is space reserved for them in the Italian Armed Forces and Spanish Armed Forces threads. Either Bernard or myself can drop it in place.
Speaking of the Romanian history factfile: I still have a rough draft that with some additional research should be OK for posting; in the end it's all about get some free time to work on it 😄
Oh happy day! And I feel you on the free time to work.

Hmm, I don't suppose you have any drafts of your Yugoslavia work around? Or would be interested in continuing that work?
Bernard Woolley

Welcome back, Mario! You’ve been missed. always appreciated your help.