Art & Image Thread

Long and short stories from the 1984 movie
Sukhoiman

Re: Art & Image Thread

Post by Sukhoiman »

Wolfman wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:25 pm

OOC: Sukhoiman, I’m not sure that India flies any FLANKER derivatives ITTL.
Oh ok, sorry I didnt see this was part of the AU stuff, just saw the thread title in active topics.

I am guessing since its the 1980s, the best we have are Mirage-2000 and Mig -29s?

Do we even participate in WW3 in the Red Dawn larger AU?
Poohbah

Post by Poohbah »

Sukhoiman wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:58 pm

Oh ok, sorry I didnt see this was part of the AU stuff, just saw the thread title in active topics.

I am guessing since its the 1980s, the best we have are Mirage-2000 and Mig -29s?

For varying values of "participation." Originally sat on the fence, kept options open, and figured out who was winning and who was losing before either of the major combatants ever did.
Wolfman

Post by Wolfman »

Sukhoiman wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:58 pm

I know that we have the Indian Navy flying F-35Bs (F-24B) ITTL, but we haven’t covered the Air Force yet, though I assume that the F-35A (F-24A) is something that India might be buying…
Last edited by Wolfman on Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
“For a brick, he flew pretty good!” Sgt. Major A.J. Johnson, Halo 2

To err is human; to forgive is not SAC policy.

“This is Raven 2-5. This is my sandbox. You will not drop, acknowledge.” David Flanagan, former Raven FAC
Matt Wiser

Post by Matt Wiser »

Or India's buying Rafale from the French. They probably bought additional Mirage 2000s from the French as their MiG-29 order likely was requisitioned by the Soviets (with a promise of postwar compensation, no doubt).
The difference between diplomacy and war is this: Diplomacy is the art of telling someone to go to hell so elegantly that they pack for the trip.
War is bringing hell down on that someone.
Matt Wiser

Post by Matt Wiser »

Prepping for an EASTERN EXPRESS run: A B-52D at Kadena AB, Okinawa, 1987....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The difference between diplomacy and war is this: Diplomacy is the art of telling someone to go to hell so elegantly that they pack for the trip.
Belushi TD

Post by Belushi TD »

OOC - The difference in handling of the explosives between this photo and the recent photos coming out of Russia is... magnificent.

Belushi TD
Wolfman

Post by Wolfman »

Okay, I was wrong, ISTR India using Super Bugs (Super Hornet, Recon Super Hornet, and the Growler).
Matt, we need a section for these kinds of discussions, ASAP…

“This is Raven 2-5. This is my sandbox. You will not drop, acknowledge.” David Flanagan, former Raven FAC
Matt Wiser

Post by Matt Wiser »

OOC: if you wish to begin such a thread, feel free to do so. I do believe Bernard had a paper on the old board where the other carrier operators (Brazil, France, Italy, India, etc.) were discussed, along with the aircraft their air wings were operating.
Matt Wiser

Post by Matt Wiser »

A postwar shot after Fidel accepted the Armistice: U.S.S. Iowa (BB-61) makes a visit to Port Everglades, FL after the Cuba blockade is lifted.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sukhoiman

Post by Sukhoiman »

The first IN Il-38 recently got retired (this time last year) after ~ 44 years in service. They were introduced starting 1977 for reference in this AU.

https://twitter.com/ThingsNavy/status/1 ... 4973884416
The aircraft was commissioned into the Navy in 1977. IN 301, the first IL- 38 aircraft of the Navy was decommissioned on 17 Jan22 after completing 44 years of service & clocked nearly 10,000 hours of operational flying...
jemhouston

Post by jemhouston »

Hero Shot

Wolfman

Post by Wolfman »

jemhouston wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:15 pm Hero Shot

Very nice. It’s a pity that she was decommissioned a few years ago.

Poohbah

Post by Poohbah »

Gorgeous ship.
Matt Wiser

Post by Matt Wiser »

One of the HH-3Es that then-Capt. (now Lt. Col., ret.) Bev Lynne flew during the war. This was at a postwar air show at Beale AFB, CA, prior to the AF Academy returning to Colorado Springs in 1998:
Matt Wiser

Post by Matt Wiser »

U.S.S. Constellation (CV-64) underway for operations in the Northern Pacific, 1987,including the Second Kamchatka Raid:
Belushi TD

Post by Belushi TD »

Matt Wiser wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:32 am One of the HH-3Es that then-Capt. (now Lt. Col., ret.) Bev Lynne flew during the war. This was at a postwar air show at Beale AFB, CA, prior to the AF Academy returning to Colorado Springs in 1998:
I find it highly amusing that the guy on the left of the picture is completely ignoring the helicopter to look at the blonde on the right.

Belushi TD
Wolfman

Post by Wolfman »

Belushi TD wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:45 pm
Matt Wiser wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:32 am One of the HH-3Es that then-Capt. (now Lt. Col., ret.) Bev Lynne flew during the war. This was at a postwar air show at Beale AFB, CA, prior to the AF Academy returning to Colorado Springs in 1998:
I find it highly amusing that the guy on the left of the picture is completely ignoring the helicopter to look at the blonde on the right.

Belushi TD
You and me both, Belushi.

Matt Wiser

Post by Matt Wiser »

SA-2 detonation over one of Louisiana's rice fields, 1987. RF-4C imagery near Lake Charles and Chennault AFB (used by 1st Air Army assets at the time):
Poohbah

Post by Poohbah »

Bet that RF-4C crew discovered that adrenalin comes in two colors: yellow and brown...
Matt Wiser

Post by Matt Wiser »

Miss Buffy at Kadena AB rearming and refueling for the next EASTERN EXPRESS sortie, 1987: