Any of you lot work in IT? Cancel your weekend

Slide along a cold one, kick back and relax. Share amusing stories, anything on your mind, unwind amongst friends.
Paul Nuttall

Re: Any of you lot work in IT? Cancel your weekend

Post by Paul Nuttall »

Readers of Good Omens may recognise he culprit

NotThatBen

Post by NotThatBen »

No impact.

Until someone made a change in how employee remote access authenticates.

On a Friday.

Because management pushed a project as high priority over my head.

'aving words with the Guv on Monday, I shall be.
Rocket J Squrriel

Post by Rocket J Squrriel »

NotThatBen wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2024 7:50 pm No impact.

Until someone made a change in how employee remote access authenticates.

On a Friday.

Because management pushed a project as high priority over my head.

'aving words with the Guv on Monday, I shall be.
Sympathy sent.

Been there, had that! They decided to do a VPN update in the middle of the day and it failed. Not only failed but knocked everyone off and locked them out. We have a LOT of at home workers and vendors that use VPN tunnels that apps are run off of. It was fixed very quickly but the Powers That Be took the team aside to ask... WHAT THE FIDDLE FADDLE(not exactly that of course) WERE YOU DOING??!

Best story was a couple of ding dong in networks that 'borrowed' a server to run World of Warcraft on it with direct links to the internet. They supposedly isolated it but fortunately their bosses wondered why this one server was suddenly getting more use in a couple of weeks then it had in 3 years. Needless to say the the idjits weren't shown a door, they were shown a window on the 10th floor!
jemhouston

Post by jemhouston »

Not quite as bad, but the last place I worked at two ISPs. The primary was 1GB, the other was 100 MB. Short version, the primary went down, and I had trouble get a hold of their help desk. Needless to say, things ran slow.

Turns out someone had unplugged a patch cord in a police station twenty miles away. Don't ask why the routing was that way.
NotThatBen

Post by NotThatBen »

My old place were told 9 months ago they had to leave a datacentre that ran most of the business critical servers including polling servers and media distribution servers. This DC had a 250Mb/s tail.

They lifted and shifted the entire network/servers into their office server room. The office has a 100Mb/s tail that was already continously 70% utilised.

They panicked (because they apparently didn't even consider checking bandwidth and usage prior) and threw in policy based routing to re-route traffic via a hastily thrown up VPN between the office and their remaining datacentre.

Since then they've had continual short term outages on their WAN (5/10 mins, enough to be noticed and cause issues but not crippling), so far they have blamed NATs, DNS, WiFI APs, Android tablets used for elearning.

Also I still can't succesfully poll their firewalls in their network due to network over utilisation.

*shrug* I left them a working network, thats all I'm saying.
Rocket J Squrriel

Post by Rocket J Squrriel »

A couple of years ago we had an accident, that I can't go into details about, that significantly slowed our network traffic. Slower than when the NCCA & NBA Final Four is on I add. It involved the ability to take a whole lot of network gears and servers and drain water out of them. That and alarms not going off.