Production Line Relocation

Long and short stories from the 1984 movie
Wolfman

Re: Production Line Relocation

Post by Wolfman »

Poohbah wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:56 am
Wolfman wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:42 am Maybe I misinterpreted what was happening? The discussion was looking to me like it was getting a little heated.
Emotion doesn't come through well in text. Sorry for my contribution to the chaos.
Add in that I’m high-functioning autistic (Asperger’s), so I’m not exactly good at reading the situation to begin with…
“For a brick, he flew pretty good!” Sgt. Major A.J. Johnson, Halo 2

To err is human; to forgive is not SAC policy.

“This is Raven 2-5. This is my sandbox. You will not drop, acknowledge.” David Flanagan, former Raven FAC
jemhouston

Post by jemhouston »

Wolfman wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:58 pm OOC: Part of the reason why we moved Tomcat production to St. Augustine is that Grumman already had a factory there where they built the E-2 Hawkeye, C-2 Greyhound, A-6 Intruder and EA-6B Prowler. We figured that Grumman would want to keep building Tomcats at a facility that they owned… I figure that they began expanding the facility in early ‘85, and finish it postwar, with A-6F production beginning in ‘92.

As for the Johnson Space Center, NASA stripped the place down to the bare walls and a message saying essentially ‘Catch us if you can!’ Khvostov was, to put it mildly, not amused by that.
Not every was removed, some were blown in place. Most fun I had that week was touching off a few booms.
Wolfman

Post by Wolfman »

jemhouston wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:13 am
Wolfman wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:58 pm OOC: Part of the reason why we moved Tomcat production to St. Augustine is that Grumman already had a factory there where they built the E-2 Hawkeye, C-2 Greyhound, A-6 Intruder and EA-6B Prowler. We figured that Grumman would want to keep building Tomcats at a facility that they owned… I figure that they began expanding the facility in early ‘85, and finish it postwar, with A-6F production beginning in ‘92.

As for the Johnson Space Center, NASA stripped the place down to the bare walls and a message saying essentially ‘Catch us if you can!’ Khvostov was, to put it mildly, not amused by that.
Not every was removed, some were blown in place. Most fun I had that week was touching off a few booms.
Care to tell the story of how you NASA guys damned near gave Khvostov an aneurysm?

“This is Raven 2-5. This is my sandbox. You will not drop, acknowledge.” David Flanagan, former Raven FAC
jemhouston

Post by jemhouston »

He expected to capture JSC intact and send various items such as the moon rocks back to Mother Russia. The moon rocks were taken out Day 2 to an undisclosed location, the Saturn V was removed and taken out by a Navy Amphib. Anything of historical value was removed. The mission control / training equipment was shipped to Huntville.

The cabling couldn't removed in the time we had so both ends were cut, along with various places in the middle. Even the staples and door knobs were taken.

IC, I was one the last 100 people that evac from JSC. I got the NASA Gold JSC Evac medal out of it.

Don't ask who came up with the idea, but a sign was left on the near the main gate fence (the gates were removed) saying "We took it and Catch us if you can."

That set Khvostov off, anyone with any connection to NASA was taken out and murdered. Realtors who sold house to NASA contractors and employees were tied up in their offices and the building set on fire. Retirees who didn't get out, well, rumor had it they were skinned alive.

Then he got nasty. Rumor had it, the Party, the Army, the GRU, and even the KGB tried and failed to kill him. I can't remember what happened to him.
Wolfman

Post by Wolfman »

IIRC, he got caught, was tried for his crimes, convicted of them, and properly executed.

Matt Wiser

Post by Matt Wiser »

When you piss off just about everyone-even your own boss (He was a Lieutenant General in the GRU if memory serves), no wonder all sorts of people wanted to kill him. The Resistance tried several times, the GRU did the same-especially when they found out he was passing information from the GRU to the KGB, the KGB wanted him gone, even the Stasi tried at least once.

A separate paper dealing with what was relocated will be in preparation.
The difference between diplomacy and war is this: Diplomacy is the art of telling someone to go to hell so elegantly that they pack for the trip.
War is bringing hell down on that someone.
Poohbah

Post by Poohbah »

Matt Wiser wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:09 am When you piss off just about everyone-even your own boss (He was a Lieutenant General in the GRU if memory serves), no wonder all sorts of people wanted to kill him. The Resistance tried several times, the GRU did the same-especially when they found out he was passing information from the GRU to the KGB, the KGB wanted him gone, even the Stasi tried at least once.
SOB was luckier than ol' Adolph was. He dodged God knows how many assassination attempts that were all far more competent than those made by the Wehrmacht.
Wolfman

Post by Wolfman »

In the end, he got his just desserts in the form of a hangman’s noose…

Poohbah

Post by Poohbah »

Wolfman wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:30 am In the end, he got his just desserts in the form of a hangman’s noose…
I wanted him to go in front of a firing squad, and have one guy slap the trigger just a little too hard.
Johnnie Lyle

Post by Johnnie Lyle »

Poohbah wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:49 am
Wolfman wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:30 am In the end, he got his just desserts in the form of a hangman’s noose…
I wanted him to go in front of a firing squad, and have one guy slap the trigger just a little too hard.
Firing squad is a death with honor. Hanging isn’t, especially if the hangman is inexperienced or figures the drop wrong.
jemhouston

Post by jemhouston »

Guy at JSC made the following case for him, put a washdown system in SuperMax cell, put him buck naked and weld the door shut.

Have a robot deliver the food to slot so he has no human contact.
Poohbah

Post by Poohbah »

Johnnie Lyle wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:01 am
Poohbah wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:49 am
Firing squad is a death with honor. Hanging isn’t, especially if the hangman is inexperienced or figures the drop wrong.
"Ah, gee, I forgot to carry the two! Welp, we can use his head for polo!"
MikeKozlowski

Post by MikeKozlowski »

Assuming this would be OOC: Stuart and I talked about several facilities that were still in existence at the time of the invasion:

*Curtiss Wright Buffalo NY
*Bell Buffalo NY
*Brewster Warminster PA
*Martin Cleveland OH (Later Great Lakes, and still in one piece today)
*Naval Aircraft Factory Philadelphia NS PA
*Goodyear Airdock Akron OH

EDIT: Martin #2, Middle River MD. May be a problem because of proximity to DC.

Mike
Wolfman

Post by Wolfman »

Any idea where Grumman could relocate to, someone else suggested the Kaman plant in Connecticut, but if that’s the plant where the Seasprite helicopter was built, it might not be available due to a need for new Seasprites, unless combat losses of the SH-2 are replaced with SH-60s…

James1978

Post by James1978 »

Wolfman wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:52 pmAny idea where Grumman could relocate to,
I remember somebody relocating to the old Martin Plant outside Baltimore. I'm assuming that Bethpage and Calverton had to be evacuate off Long Island by sea? As long as the port of Baltimore is open, that might be the easiest move.
someone else suggested the Kaman plant in Connecticut, but if that’s the plant where the Seasprite helicopter was built, it might not be available due to a need for new Seasprites, unless combat losses of the SH-2 are replaced with SH-60s…
The Knox and short hull O.H. Perry class frigates couldn't take SH-60s.
I'm guessing the Garcia and Brooke classes couldn't take SH-60s either. Ditto for Belknap and Truxton class cruisers.
That's a lot of ships, and I believe SH-2F new builds were being built at this time, so I'm guessing SH-2 production continued for the duration of the war.

Also, the Kaman plant doesn't seem to have a runway.
Wolfman

Post by Wolfman »

Okay.

Matt Wiser

Post by Matt Wiser »

It was Theodore, I believe, who suggested the Kaman plant.

When the paper about who went where and when is prepped? Those suggestions about LTV, Grumman, etc. will find their way into it.
The difference between diplomacy and war is this: Diplomacy is the art of telling someone to go to hell so elegantly that they pack for the trip.
War is bringing hell down on that someone.
Wolfman

Post by Wolfman »

Well, I guess that’s settled…

James1978

Post by James1978 »

MikeKozlowski wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:23 pm Assuming this would be OOC: Stuart and I talked about several facilities that were still in existence at the time of the invasion:

*Bell Buffalo NY
*Brewster Warminster PA
OOC:
Re. Warminster: Does anyone have a guess how much space the Naval Air Development Center was already taking up at Warminster?

Re. Naval Aircraft Factory Philadelphia : A few questions/thoughts.
1) Since it's on the grounds of Philadelphia NSY / NS Philadelphia, was anyone else at the shipyard / naval space already using that space?
2) While technically still there at the time, the runway does not appear usable given how the base built up. So if they did move an aircraft line there, the finished aircraft would have to be towed or barged to Philadelphia International Airport.

Re. Goodyear: What, if anything, was Goodyear Aerospace doing at the site during this period?
MikeKozlowski

Post by MikeKozlowski »

James1978 wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:07 am
MikeKozlowski wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:23 pm Assuming this would be OOC: Stuart and I talked about several facilities that were still in existence at the time of the invasion:

*Bell Buffalo NY
*Brewster Warminster PA
OOC:
Re. Warminster: Does anyone have a guess how much space the Naval Air Development Center was already taking up at Warminster?

Re. Naval Aircraft Factory Philadelphia : A few questions/thoughts.
1) Since it's on the grounds of Philadelphia NSY / NS Philadelphia, was anyone else at the shipyard / naval space already using that space?
2) While technically still there at the time, the runway does not appear usable given how the base built up. So if they did move an aircraft line there, the finished aircraft would have to be towed or barged to Philadelphia International Airport.

Re. Goodyear: What, if anything, was Goodyear Aerospace doing at the site during this period?
James,

I should have clarified on those.

NAF Philly and Brewster Warminster could at worst be used for fairly good sized aircraft sections (wings, fuselages, etc) that could then be transported to other locations for final assembly.

Goodyear is one I have first hand knowledge of, as I actually visited the facility a couple times in the early 90s. The Airdock itself was essentially the world's coolest self-storage facility and had been for some years. Goodyear had sold the Airdock and its surrounding facilities to Loral Aerospace in the late 80s, and Loral was still building electronics there until 96 or 97. But if you go to Google Maps and look at the Airdock, you'll see three buildings - one to the south, and two to the east - those were the old Goodyear Aviation facilities where the FG-1 and F2G were built. In the mid 80s, they would have been effectively empty, as for all practical purposes Goodyear had gotten out of the aerospace business some years before (I want to say late 60s). But the structures were there, and they had been kept in pretty reasonable shape. It wouldn't have taken much to get them up and running again once you got the machinery in place.

Mike