Great War Group Conference 2024

Slide along a cold one, kick back and relax. Share amusing stories, anything on your mind, unwind amongst friends.
Bernard Woolley

Great War Group Conference 2024

Post by Bernard Woolley »

Came back yesterday from this year’s Great War Group Conference. Had a really great time. Some brilliant keynotes and seminars. The ‘University Challenge’ style quiz was a lot of fun to watch. Was great to catch up with some old friends and make new ones. I’ve posted the programme below and would encourage as many people as possible to join the group. Where else would you get to see an eminent historian ‘arrested’ for challenging the quiz rules, then the next night sing the angriest rendition of Delilah? :lol:

On a serious note, we always have a service of remembrance at the local war memorial. It’s important to remember those that sacrificed for us.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Johnnie Lyle

So how was the conference, Bernard?

Post by Johnnie Lyle »

Since your spoiler post about the Great War conference is locked, would you mind giving a run down on the talks? Several looked very interesting, especially Peter Hart’s Sudan and the life on the Eastern Front talk.

So unless they’re going to be streamed, please dish!
Bernard Woolley

Re: So how was the conference, Bernard?

Wow, that was weird. I’ve unlocked it and merged topics.

Peter’s one concentrated on Omdurman. I have posted some of his graphics below. I didn’t make all of the seminars, because, well, health reasons. Prof Wessley’s keynote was fascinating. He’s a professional doctor and amateur historian (he doesn’t recommend doing it the other way around, because you’ll be arrested :D). The TL:DR from him was that Farr was guilty and the process fair and legal. Which is what he told the MoD prior to a judicial review into the case a few years back. He and the QC the gov had engaged examined the case and told the gov that the other side’s case was unwinnable. Which was not what the gov wanted to hear. They wanted to loose. So, the gov pulled out of the court case and passed new legislation to allow it to grant pardons.

Vanda’s keynote demonstrated well that Italy’s utter f*ck up of a campaign in what is now Libya was part of the First World War. The Italians seem to have had a real talent for two things : utterly screwing up a military campaign, and senseless brutality against the indigenous population. Take an example, as part of the Italian-Ottoman War, the Italians decided that a group of irregulars loyal to the Turks were in fact traitors. As the Italians in their wisdom had decided that they were now the legal rulers of the three Ottoman provinces that now make up Libyans. Therefore, they murdered them and their dependents.

The Proximate Cause was the one I made. I was meant to be in Alex N’s, but she wasn’t able to give it, so I ended up in that one. It was about an insurance dispute regarding a ship lost after being torpedoed. Went as far as the House of Lords. It set a precedent in law still referred to today. In fact I believe it was used very recently.

Nicolai’s challenged the idea that the Eastern Front was more mobile. He’s an expert on that front; basically if he doesn’t know it, it ain’t worth knowing.

After the serious stuff on Saturday, we repaired to a nearby pub, where we had hired a room upstairs. Which was where we had the karaoke. The women were shocked to discover that the ladies was not only almost unlit, but had a ‘twobicle’ with two toilets facing each over! While the gents was illuminated by red lights! I think one bloke’s description of “Berlin Sex Club in the 1980s” was apt! 🤣
Johnnie Lyle

Re: So how was the conference, Bernard?

Post by Johnnie Lyle »

Bernard Woolley wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2024 10:56 pm Wow, that was weird. I’ve unlocked it.
Yeah, probably a case of punching the wrong button.

Now, spill!

Which generals were covered in the Sudan? I’m assuming that it wasn’t just Kitchener and French? Was it 1884/1885 or 1896-1898?
Bernard Woolley

Re: Great War Group Conference 2024

It concentrated on Omdurman, since it was just an hour. Haig, Hamilton, and Egerton were there. A few others who I’ve forgotten also took part. Churchill and David Beatty were there too. Peter Hart does have a book coming out next year about the Sudan campaign.

Did you like the maps and graphics? 😉
Johnnie Lyle

Post by Johnnie Lyle »

Bernard Woolley wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2024 12:37 am It concentrated on Omdurman, since it was just an hour. Haig, Hamilton, and Egerton were there. A few others who I’ve forgotten also took part. Churchill and David Beatty were there too. Peter Hart does have a book coming out next year about the Sudan campaign.

Did you like the maps and graphics? 😉
Thanks for the update. Sounds like a great conference. Sadly the maps and graphics didn’t show, yet!
Bernard Woolley

Err…that’s the joke! Peter performed in front of a blank screen. It was quite funny, yet I was able to picture what he was talking about when he would point to the ‘map’. :lol:
Paul Nuttall

Post by Paul Nuttall »

Bernard Woolley wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2024 1:31 am Err…that’s the joke! Peter performed in front of a blank screen. It was quite funny, yet I was able to picture what he was talking about when he would point to the ‘map’. :lol:
"God, it's a barren, featureless desert out there!"

"The other side, sir!"
Bernard Woolley

:lol:
Craiglxviii

Post by Craiglxviii »

Paul Nuttall wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2024 1:46 pm
Bernard Woolley wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2024 1:31 am Err…that’s the joke! Peter performed in front of a blank screen. It was quite funny, yet I was able to picture what he was talking about when he would point to the ‘map’. :lol:
"God, it's a barren, featureless desert out there!"

"The other side, sir!"
“Look, there’s a little worm”

Quite literally a Blackadder quote for every occasion.
Bernard Woolley

Blackadder is banned in the GWG! :lol:
MikeKozlowski

Post by MikeKozlowski »

.. I would have very much liked to have heard the talk on Mexico and Germany - it's little known here (but remembered south of the border, trust me) and doesn't get a lot of attention.

Mike
Craiglxviii

Post by Craiglxviii »

Bernard Woolley wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2024 9:42 am Blackadder is banned in the GWG! :lol:
Don’t be revolting, Darling!