East Coast Mine Battle story

The long and short stories of 'The Last War' by Jan Niemczyk and others
Craiglxviii

Re: East Coast Mine Battle story

Post by Craiglxviii »

One of Fort Scratchley’s 6” guns, in all its splendour before the war.
IMG_1591.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bernard Woolley

Post by Bernard Woolley »

A real pleasure in reading this again. The Aussie ‘peacenicks’ are lucky that Australia has evidently hasn’t taken the same approach to subversives as the U.K. Also, it’s a shame that the RN couldn’t send the RAN a few modern mine hunters. Though, they’d have to be sent on the back of another ship, unless you were happy to wait till 2024 for them to arrive! :D

Religion is, IMVHO, a private thing. But, I will in no way ever censor a story posted by one of you guys. So long as a story has been run by me so it’s canon, I’m fine with it. You’d have to put in something really nasty for me do cut it, and none of you would ever pull sh*t like that.
Jotun

Post by Jotun »

Craiglxviii wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2024 5:59 pm One of Fort Scratchley’s 6” guns, in all its splendour before the war.

IMG_1591.jpeg
Looks like a smiling Pinocchio in a medieval helmet :lol:
Craiglxviii

Post by Craiglxviii »

Just finished this story Mark. Thank you, it’s better than I remembered it to be.

One question, and please forgive me if I’m asking the wrong person- what happened with the Canberra Strike?
James1978

Post by James1978 »

Craiglxviii wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2024 7:13 pm Just finished this story Mark. Thank you, it’s better than I remembered it to be.

One question, and please forgive me if I’m asking the wrong person- what happened with the Canberra Strike?
It's somewhere in the main story.

A Soviet "Raider"/mine layer off the Australian east coast disguised as a merchant ship was modified to carry twenty-ish surplus SS-N-3 Shaddock missiles. Said missiles having their guidance systems greatly upgraded and their 1000kg HE warheads replaced with thermobaric warheads. The Raider rippled off its full load of missiles at Canberra - eighteen of which were on target, and two more of which still hit things that hurt. There was almost no warning. The attack was in the middle of the work day.

Targets [from my conversations with Mark, we were working on a more detailed breakdown but never finished it]
Attorney General's Department - X1 Missile
Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet - X1 Missile [plus two missiles to cover the overlapping area. [4 hits]

Department of Foreign Affair and Trade / Australian Secret Intelligence Service - X2 Missiles [2 hits]

Parliament House - X2 Missiles [2 hits. one hit low and burst inside the building]

Russell Offices - x6 missiles [5 hits. the miss detonated in the city over the CBD near the legislative assembly building at 162 London Circuit.]

Campbell Offices - X2 Missiles [1 hit, 1 miss. the miss hit the Telstra Tower.]

Joint Operations Command - X2 Missiles [2 hits]

Brindabella Park [defense overflow offices at the airport] - x2 missiles [2 hits]