SpaceX 2024

All Hi-Tech Developments for the Military and Civilian Sectors
Nathan45

Re: SpaceX 2024

Post by Nathan45 »

Honestly, I'm getting excited about Mars. I was born too late for Apollo, but the possibility of being on Mars in my lifespan is looking very likely. Good thing to be optimistic for.
Rocket J Squrriel

Post by Rocket J Squrriel »

kdahm wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2024 4:03 pm
jemhouston wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2024 2:06 pm California officials reject more SpaceX rocket launches, with some citing Musk's X posts

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/ca ... r-AA1s6Zsb

Given some of the reasoning, the commission needs whammed upside the head.
Among the issues raised by some commission members were Musk's decision to insert himself in the presidential race, his spreading of conspiracy theories the labor record of his companies, and derogatory comments he's made about the transgender community.

"We're dealing with a company, the head of which has aggressively injected himself into the presidential race," said Commissioner Chair Caryl Hart.
Well, they're just looking for SpaceX First Amendment lawsuit that has a very good chance of winning. In NRA of America v. Vullo (22-842), the Supreme Court said specifically that the use of coercion by public officials to punish entities for their advocacy was unacceptable. Remarkably, the vote was 9-0and the opinion by Sotomayor. Edit- Actually, the precedent should be Bantam Books vs Sullivan (372 US 58) from 1963 that is directly applicable.

While this one is slightly different, the commission is acting according to the company founder's words unrelated to SpaceX, without even a figleaf of saying that there are problems with the application.
Its also unclear if the commission can even force USAF not to allow SpaceX to fly since its a military base and military contracts.
brovane

Post by brovane »

Poohbah wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2024 10:09 pm
Disney was arguing that they had a fundamental right to establish a feudal fiefdom in Florida, and the courts all said, "Nobody does."
The feudal fiefdom was already established and had been for decades and the Florida government signed off on all of it.
Poohbah

Post by Poohbah »

brovane wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2024 12:56 am
Disney was arguing that they had a fundamental right to establish a feudal fiefdom in Florida, and the courts all said, "Nobody does."
The feudal fiefdom was already established and had been for decades and the Florida government signed off on all of it.
Yes, and Disney argued that they had an absolute right to special treatment under the law into perpetuity, and the courts told them to kick rocks.
brovane

Post by brovane »

Poohbah wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2024 1:06 am
Yes, and Disney argued that they had an absolute right to special treatment under the law into perpetuity, and the courts told them to kick rocks.
Kind of funny that the state only decided to change things after Disney expressed a political opinion that the state didn't like.
Poohbah

Post by Poohbah »

brovane wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2024 1:43 am

Kind of funny that the state only decided to change things after Disney expressed a political opinion that the state didn't like.
True, but utterly irrelevant. RCID was a huge pile of special privileges granted to Walt Disney Corporation, and nobody else. Those privileges could be revoked at the discretion of the state Legislature and the Governor (or, if they pissed off enough of both houses, at the discretion of the Legislature alone). They could do it if Disney publicly dissed the Tampa Bay Buccaneers or Anita Freaking Bryant.

But there's a bright side to this, and a moral. I think morals are good for you, I love morals, and the moral of this story is: If you're walkin' on eggs, don't hop.
brovane

Post by brovane »

Poohbah wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2024 2:17 am
brovane wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2024 1:43 am

True, but utterly irrelevant. RCID was a huge pile of special privileges granted to Walt Disney Corporation, and nobody else. Those privileges could be revoked at the discretion of the state Legislature and the Governor (or, if they pissed off enough of both houses, at the discretion of the Legislature alone). They could do it if Disney publicly dissed the Tampa Bay Buccaneers or Anita Freaking Bryant.

But there's a bright side to this, and a moral. I think morals are good for you, I love morals, and the moral of this story is: If you're walkin' on eggs, don't hop.
I consider it very relevant. Which leads us back the start of this. The government going after a individual or company because that entity expressed a opinion that the government doesn't like is not something that should be done regardless of the party affiliation.

I hope that Musk sticks it to the California Coastal Commission in court.
brovane

Post by brovane »

Just as I suspected, the head of the US space council cannot be bothered to acknowledge the achievement of SpaceX on Sunday.
Screenshot 2024-10-14 120333.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Micael

Post by Micael »

Nathan45 wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2024 10:46 pm Honestly, I'm getting excited about Mars. I was born too late for Apollo, but the possibility of being on Mars in my lifespan is looking very likely. Good thing to be optimistic for.
My feelings exactly. I would really like to experience humans landing on Mars.
brovane

Post by brovane »

The level of accuracy(control authority) shown by SpaceX in landing the Super Heavy is incredible.

https://x.com/SpaceX/status/1845966756579627167
kdahm

Post by kdahm »

brovane wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2024 1:19 am The level of accuracy(control authority) shown by SpaceX in landing the Super Heavy is incredible.

And of course, no one has considered that centimeter accuracy can't be devoted to re-entry vehicles, greatly reducing the CEP. No cans of instant Sunshine needed, just a few tens of tons of ordinary stuff. :o

Of course, if a country can put a conventional object into a 2m circle from halfway around the world, a can of Instant Sunshine makes everything better.
Poohbah

Post by Poohbah »

kdahm wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2024 2:35 am
brovane wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2024 1:19 am The level of accuracy(control authority) shown by SpaceX in landing the Super Heavy is incredible.

And of course, no one has considered that centimeter accuracy can't be devoted to re-entry vehicles, greatly reducing the CEP. No cans of instant Sunshine needed, just a few tens of tons of ordinary stuff. :o

Of course, if a country can put a conventional object into a 2m circle from halfway around the world, a can of Instant Sunshine makes everything better.
Instant Sunshine®, for those times when you need to make those unclean heretical foreigners truly see the light (however briefly).

(Instant Sunshine is a registered trademark of Los Alamos National Laboratory.)
Micael

Post by Micael »

Raptor engine #314 ”Pi Raptor” has a special marking.
jemhouston

Post by jemhouston »

Micael wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2024 3:30 am Raptor engine #314 ”Pi Raptor” has a special marking.
Godzilla likes

Micael

Post by Micael »

NEWS: NASA will use @SpaceX Crew Dragon for its two crew rotation missions to the International Space Station in 2025.

NASA had hoped Boeing Starliner would be certified in time to fly but continues to evaluate if it will require another test flight after recent fail.
Rocket J Squrriel

Post by Rocket J Squrriel »

One report is that they might use Starliner as an up/down cargo carrier.