RN ship numbers

Slide along a cold one, kick back and relax. Share amusing stories, anything on your mind, unwind amongst friends.
OSCSSW

RN ship numbers

Post by OSCSSW »

I would be very grateful if someone would explain the numbering system for RN hull numbers. It really confuses me.
Thanks
How can man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his God?
Pdf27

Re: RN ship numbers

Post by Pdf27 »

You mean D, R, F, S, L etc. or the actual numbers? The letters have swapped around a few times over the years so you probably need to be quite specific.
War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau. - Jean Dutourd
Craiglxviii

Post by Craiglxviii »

OSCSSW wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 1:40 pm I would be very grateful if someone would explain the numbering system for RN hull numbers. It really confuses me.
Thanks
You think it’s supposed to make sense..?!?
kdahm

Post by kdahm »

Pdf27 wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 4:53 pm You mean D, R, F, S, L etc. or the actual numbers? The letters have swapped around a few times over the years so you probably need to be quite specific.
I think he means the pennant numbers
Craiglxviii

Post by Craiglxviii »

Being serious.

“The Royal Navy Pennant Numbering System
Pennant, or Pendant, numbers were introduced to help to abbreviate signalling and to help make signals more secure, they also served to clear up confusion between ships with similar names and as an aid in identifying ships visually, particularly where ships of the same classification were grouped in a Squadron.
During the war, many ships were transferred between Commonwealth and Allied Navies. Where this did occur, the ship usually kept the same Pennant Number (even though the ships name may well have changed). If a ship was sunk in action, it was usual for the Pennant Number of that ship to be allocated to the next ship to be launched. Renaming of ships was also regularly carried out. During and after the war, some ships had received up to three or four changes of Flag Superior, with many destroyers changing from F to G in 1940, then to L, and later to R, and finally to D after the war.
Usually, ships of the same Classification were grouped under the same Flag Superior, although this wasn’t always the case. Due to shear numbers of ships in the Second World War a greater number of Flag Superior allocations were in use. Today, the Flag Superior generally helps to identify the Class of ship, i.e. A – Auxiliaries, D = Destroyers, F = Frigates, R = Aircraft Carriers (A already in use for Auxiliaries), S = Submarine.
Until the Second World War, it was usual for submarines to have only a Pennant Number and no name, Winston Churchill directed that all Submarines be named. Some minor ships had no Pennant Number, whilst others had them removed from photographs due to censorship. It is believed that the pennant system was last revised in 1947.”

It <looks> like the number itself is chosen from a list. As example, we have had the following pennant numbers for carriers:

IMPLACABLE (R86)
INDEFATIGABLE (R10) (both the same class)

COLOSSUS (R61)
GLORY (R62)
OCEAN (R68)
THESEUS (R64)
TRIUMPH (R16)
VENERABLE (R63)
VENGEANCE (R71)
WARRIOR (R31)
PERSEUS (R51)
PIONEER (R76) (all the same class)

Then we have

EAGLE (R05)
ARK ROYAL (R09) (same class)

Then

CENTAUR (R06)
ALBION (R07)
BULWARK (R08)
HERMES (R12- bet you thought it was going to be sequential!)

Then

INVINCIBLE (R05, reused)
ILLUSTRIOUS (R06, reused)
ARK ROYAL (R07, reused)

Now

QUEEN ELIZABETH (R08, reused)
PRINCE OF WALES (R09, reused)

None of this is supposed to make any sense to outsiders.

A lot of info here: https://www.commsmuseum.co.uk/tactical/ ... endant.pdf
OSCSSW

Post by OSCSSW »

Thanks Craig. The RN has succeeded. It makes no sense to me but I guess I'll have to live with it. :?
How can man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his God?
Belushi TD

Post by Belushi TD »

Still makes more sense than the Russian naval project numbers.

Belushi TD
Craiglxviii

Post by Craiglxviii »

OSCSSW wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 12:25 am Thanks Craig. The RN has succeeded. It makes no sense to me but I guess I'll have to live with it. :?
There are books on Amazon with way more detail should you wish!
Craiglxviii

Post by Craiglxviii »

Belushi TD wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 11:55 am Still makes more sense than the Russian naval project numbers.

Belushi TD
And they make more sense than the AFV objekt numbers..!
jemhouston

Post by jemhouston »

Is the numbering system designed to confuse other countries or the enemy (The Treasury)?
Johnnie Lyle

Post by Johnnie Lyle »

jemhouston wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 8:36 pm Is the numbering system designed to confuse other countries or the enemy (The Treasury)?
Yes.
Nathan45

Post by Nathan45 »

I prefer the US naming simplicity for its small arms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zY3RLn2V6D0
jemhouston

Post by jemhouston »

Johnnie Lyle wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 10:11 pm
jemhouston wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 8:36 pm Is the numbering system designed to confuse other countries or the enemy (The Treasury)?
Yes.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
1Big Rich

Post by 1Big Rich »

I'm of the opinion the worst, most dangerous enemy the the RN ever fought was Exchequer
The BC Board
Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts. - Albert Einstein
jemhouston

Post by jemhouston »

1Big Rich wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 11:50 am
I'm of the opinion the worst, most dangerous enemy the the RN ever fought was Exchequer
You are correct kind sir.
kdahm

Post by kdahm »

jemhouston wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 1:31 pm
They have certainly sunk or taken out of commission more good, workable ships with life left in them than any other enemy of the RN.
Johnnie Lyle

Post by Johnnie Lyle »

kdahm wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 4:02 pm
jemhouston wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 1:31 pm

They have certainly sunk or taken out of commission more good, workable ships with life left in them than any other enemy of the RN.
It’s not necessarily the Exchequer.

It’s the politicians who want to spend money on other things, especially things that buy votes.