Quaie Energy and Millimeter Wave 'drilling'

All Hi-Tech Developments for the Military and Civilian Sectors
Paul Nuttall

Quaie Energy and Millimeter Wave 'drilling'

Post by Paul Nuttall »

Quaise Energy and their millemetre wave drilling for use in Geothermal energy production has been doing the rounds in the past week.

What do people think of the idea...both the millimetre wave 'drilling' and Quaise's thoughts on what they can get out of it.

https://news.mit.edu/2022/quaise-energy-geothermal-0628

https://www.quaise.energy/news/geotherm ... -deep-rock
kdahm

Re: Quaie Energy and Millimeter Wave 'drilling'

Post by kdahm »

I see a lot of problems. The heat of fusion is roughly comparable to water. Trying to do this will involve a lot of energy going down the hole, and I'm not sure that conventional deep hole drilling wouldn't be a better option. The vaporized rock has to be transported to the surface somehow, or it will condense onto the borehole surface and choke it off if deep enough. The currents depths drilled are in the 10 cm order of magnitude and purely in the lab.

So it comes down to asking why is it better than conventional drilling, what advantages would it bring, and is it more generally applicable?

Not that they can't do it, but I wouldn't put any money into the company.
Kunkmiester

Post by Kunkmiester »

I'd imagine you'd conventionally drill as far as you can, then put on the fancy bit and go the rest of the way.

The supposed advantage is you don't have a conventional drill wearing out 10 km down. That's a long drill chain to pull.
Nik_SpeakerToCats

Post by Nik_SpeakerToCats »

Does the rock stay 'vaporised', or simply spalled from cutting face then swept away as condensed 'granules' ?? The trouble with such press is that they can get so hyped on the wondrous advantages, they overlook explaining the basics...
Belushi TD

Post by Belushi TD »

The biggest problem they're going to face is getting the rock "vapor" out of the hole. As has been mentioned by others, if its a true vapor, they're going to need to get it out without it condensing on the sides of the boring or the drill steel. Its possible they could do a triple tube kind of a thing, with the inner tube being a vacuum of some sort, the energy being transmitted down the middle tube, and the outer tube being the casing.

Sonic drilling would be the model in that case. https://www.boartlongyear.com/insite/so ... ing-works/ Not going to copy paste the text, because the pictures are what I'm interested in. Its an extra tube, and I don't know how they'd go about engineering out the issues, but if they throw enough money and time at it, I'm sure they can make it work.

As others have also said, what benefit will it bring? 10 km is, in fact, a HELL of a drill string to pull out. Since the common lengths are 9 and 14 meters, when you need to trip out, it can take more than a single shift to do so. Can this technology actually be better than the current tricone or other specialized bits?

Also, what happens when you run into groundwater? As someone else mentioned, it would probably be better to use conventional drilling to drill the initial portions of the hole. Casing off the groundwater would be important. I'm guessing water would mess with the drilling rate something fierce.

Finally, it appears that the holes they are capable of now are fairly small. Looks like 2 inches, perhaps? I don't know what the standard geothermal pipe diameter is, but I strongly suspect its larger than 2 inches. I wonder how well the technology will scale diametrically. I suppose they could just standardize on a smaller diameter for this type of geothermal drilling, but that will cost in the short and middle term as well.

Belushi TD