General Discussion Thread

Long and short stories from the 1984 movie
Poohbah

Re: General Discussion Thread

Post by Poohbah »

Wolfman wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 2:00 pm
jemhouston wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 1:55 pm
Wolfman wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 1:35 pm Good grief, Poohbah. You and Roberta can’t even go to the store without something happening…
In a previous life one or both asked, "Dear Lord please don't make my next life as boring as this one." The Good Lord took it as a challenge. :lol:
He didn’t just take it as a challenge, He told the closest archangel to hold His beer…
(Closest archangel sighs, quietly assigns each of us two of his best guardian angels apiece.)
Wolfman

Post by Wolfman »

Poohbah wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 2:51 pm
Wolfman wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 2:00 pm
jemhouston wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 1:55 pm

In a previous life one or both asked, "Dear Lord please don't make my next life as boring as this one." The Good Lord took it as a challenge. :lol:
He didn’t just take it as a challenge, He told the closest archangel to hold His beer…
(Closest archangel sighs, quietly assigns each of us two of his best guardian angels apiece.)
Gonna need more than that…
“For a brick, he flew pretty good!” Sgt. Major A.J. Johnson, Halo 2

To err is human; to forgive is not SAC policy.

“This is Raven 2-5. This is my sandbox. You will not drop, acknowledge.” David Flanagan, former Raven FAC
Poohbah

Post by Poohbah »

Update: wife flipped like a pancake. Apparently, she was dealing, and she named everyone in her upline, THEY proceeded to squeal, and mass arrests ensued.

The result is that there is now a f***ing gang war across western Riverside and San Bernardino Counties, spilling over into Eastern Los Angeles County and most of Orange County.

I swear to God, people in Moreno Valley will watch gunfights all damn day and even place bets on them at offshore gaming sites, but someone sets off a truck bomb outside the Devil's Diciples' preferred titty bar, and everyone loses their f***ing minds!
jemhouston

Post by jemhouston »

May you live in interesting times.
Wolfman

Post by Wolfman »

jemhouston wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 10:52 am May you live in interesting times.
Poohbah’s been living in interesting times since just before World War III…

“This is Raven 2-5. This is my sandbox. You will not drop, acknowledge.” David Flanagan, former Raven FAC
jemhouston

Post by jemhouston »

Poohbah wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 4:32 am Update: wife flipped like a pancake. Apparently, she was dealing, and she named everyone in her upline, THEY proceeded to squeal, and mass arrests ensued.

The result is that there is now a f***ing gang war across western Riverside and San Bernardino Counties, spilling over into Eastern Los Angeles County and most of Orange County.

I swear to God, people in Moreno Valley will watch gunfights all damn day and even place bets on them at offshore gaming sites, but someone sets off a truck bomb outside the Devil's Diciples' preferred titty bar, and everyone loses their f***ing minds!
You know, watching who is winning on those sites more than normal, it would be interesting to see why. Maybe a competitor who has inside knowledge?
Wolfman

Post by Wolfman »

Poohbah wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 4:32 am Update: wife flipped like a pancake. Apparently, she was dealing, and she named everyone in her upline, THEY proceeded to squeal, and mass arrests ensued.

I’m pretty sure that you’re not referring to VF-301…

Poohbah

Post by Poohbah »

Wolfman wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 1:49 pm

I’m pretty sure that you’re not referring to VF-301…
Motorcycle gang. The misspelling came about when the founders had patches made in Mexico, the manufacturer misspelled "disciples," and it stuck.
Lordroel

Post by Lordroel »

So i heard major general William Anders died, i know him from the famous Apollo 8 picture of Earth, but what did he do during the war.
jemhouston

Post by jemhouston »

Lordroel wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 5:14 pm So i heard major general William Anders died, i know him from the famous Apollo 8 picture of Earth, but what did he do during the war.
At war's start, he was with Textron as executive vice president for aerospace. He spent most of war at Textron, but he was recalled to colors a few times for specific projects. Most of which are still classified. He was in Huntsville in uniform at least twice during the war. Doing what I can't find out.
Poohbah

Post by Poohbah »

jemhouston wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 8:25 pm
Lordroel wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 5:14 pm So i heard major general William Anders died, i know him from the famous Apollo 8 picture of Earth, but what did he do during the war.
At war's start, he was with Textron as executive vice president for aerospace. He spent most of war at Textron, but he was recalled to colors a few times for specific projects. Most of which are still classified. He was in Huntsville in uniform at least twice during the war. Doing what I can't find out.
Ah, a member of species Sciuridae Secretus.
jemhouston

Post by jemhouston »

Don't know, I was species fungus tenebrosus.
Wolfman

Post by Wolfman »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Poohbah

Post by Poohbah »

Last night was... hilarious.

We went to dinner at a restaurant near Temecula. Good food, great atmosphere, and it's got a decent view of the Temecula Valley.

The only problem was the 5-on-1 podium apartment complex under construction just about dead front and center in the view from the patio. My lovely bride considers that basic architectural design an abomination against the Laws of God and Man--she actually thinks CHU apartment complexes are more aesthetically appealing.

The whole idea behind the podium design being legal is that the upper five floors are using properly treated wood to minimize the fire risk.

Yes, that is foreshadowing.

I'm looking out over the valley, and I see a wisp of smoke.

Me: "Hey, there's a fire. Wonder where it's at."

Roberta: "Probably too much to ask that it be in that monstrosity on the parkway--"

(Flame appears on the framing)

Roberta: "Hey, that's supposed to be treated wood. It shouldn't burn that fast."

Five minutes later, the structure is, as the fire department puts it, "fully involved," and Roberta is alternating between saying "the developers are SO screwed" and toasting the fire, saying, "Burn, baby, burn!" whilst sipping her Doffo Malbec...

Apparently, the developers decided to skimp on the wood. 100% untreated. Somebody is going to prison...
jemhouston

Post by jemhouston »

You know, sometimes jail and a massive fine aren't enough. We need to bring back tar and feathering.
Poohbah

Post by Poohbah »

jemhouston wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 5:00 pm You know, sometimes jail and a massive fine aren't enough. We need to bring back tar and feathering.
Unfortunately, the civilian world doesn't have anything akin to "flogging through the fleet" or keelhauling (which I understand is serious on an aircraft carrier).
Wolfman

Post by Wolfman »

There are times when I start to wonder about mankind’s future with the amount of Stupid going around…

Poohbah

Post by Poohbah »

Wolfman wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 6:46 pm There are times when I start to wonder about mankind’s future with the amount of Stupid going around…
At one point, Roberta took a piece of acoustic tile that was proposed for use in a nightclub remodeling in Spokane she worked on and applied flame.

It went up instantly (she actually singed her fingertips because she couldn't get rid of it fast enough).

Developer (staring at contractor): "I paid for fireproof acoustic tile, not acoustic tile made of fucking rocket fuel."

Contractor (who'd pocketed the difference) "Um . . . I can explain . . . "

Fire Safety Inspector: "I'm going to delay my initial inspection until this matter is resolved."

Roberta: "Good idea."

During the ensuing lawsuit, the fire inspector explained that Roberta had applied the standard fire safety test that he would do at completion of work.

"What if you'd done that after the tile was installed and the building had burned down?"

The fire inspector was absolutely deadpan: "I would've marked "FAILED" on my report and gone to my next appointment."
jemhouston

Post by jemhouston »

Wolfman wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 6:46 pm There are times when I start to wonder about mankind’s future with the amount of Stupid going around…
In fairness, mankind has always been stupid. Lessons written in blood have removed most less spectacular failures, so the ones occurring are either something black swan happening or ignoring lessons causing the failure.

In Nov 7, 1940 the Tacoma Narrows Bridge collapse possible due to aeroelastic flutter. I'm not sure (so point out where it's happened), that's the last time a US bridge failed due to design issue. Now if a bridge fails, it's old age, poor maintenance, or outside event such as a ship hitting it or tanker fire.
Poohbah

Post by Poohbah »

jemhouston wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 7:30 pm
In fairness, mankind has always been stupid. Lessons written in blood have removed most less spectacular failures, so the ones occurring are either something black swan happening or ignoring lessons causing the failure.

In Nov 7, 1940 the Tacoma Narrows Bridge collapse possible due to aeroelastic flutter. I'm not sure (so point out where it's happened), that's the last time a US bridge failed due to design issue. Now if a bridge fails, it's old age, poor maintenance, or outside event such as a ship hitting it or tanker fire.
There's always the temptation to cut corners on bills of materials, construction standards, maintenance, et cetera. "You can only expect what you inspect" comes to mind.