Heart breaking news (sarc)

Slide along a cold one, kick back and relax. Share amusing stories, anything on your mind, unwind amongst friends.
warshipadmin

Heart breaking news (sarc)

Post by warshipadmin »

Grandson #2's violin concert has been cancelled. His class has been in possession of these things for all of 9 weeks, so I am pretty sure a loud cheer was heard all over the land when the email came out yesterday.

I asked his mother how bad it was "Well when he starts practicing I feed the horses and the goats and the dog."

Having grown up in a family where all the others were musical to some extent I sympathized.
Last edited by warshipadmin on Tue Jun 11, 2024 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nathan45

Re: Heart breaking news

Post by Nathan45 »

Thank you. :D Honestly I opened this up expecting the worst, and got a decent chuckle instead. We could all use a bit of levity,
JBG

Re: Heart breaking news

Post by JBG »

Nathan45 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 1:40 am Thank you. :D Honestly I opened this up expecting the worst, and got a decent chuckle instead. We could all use a bit of levity,
Agree.

It was a sad day when a neighbour whose son was "learning" the trombone moved away. At least another neighbour's daughter who played the drums was pretty good at it. Pity about the rest of her band ....

Jonathan
Nik_SpeakerToCats

Re: Heart breaking news (sarc)

Post by Nik_SpeakerToCats »

I still shudder at memory of the tortured noises from the violin my 'good' school issued young me.

The classic mantra of 'Practice makes Perfect' only applies if you can make any progress...
I don't think I ever managed to play more than a piece's first note in key-- And badly at that.
Sorta like 'Track', where I'd clear the first hurdle, become 'tank-trapped' by the second...
( Yet I could run a mile through mud, staying clean above the ankles: Go figure... )

Y'know the old test of playing two different piano notes to a student, how close in pitch and for how long apart they could distinguish ?
And the related query of, 'Which was higher ??'
I was an extreme outlier, unable to report on anything closer than black keys --On a good day-- yet sensitive to the very least wow/flutter of the music room's old record player...

Remarkably, two decades later, when my wife needed a second-viola and pianist to practice with, I 'crammed' music theory and MIDI tech, acquired the 'needful', set up our PC system to play along with her...
Belushi TD

Post by Belushi TD »

Heh.

I took violin one miserable summer. Having previously taken 4 years of piano lessons, I was desperate to stop piano and the only way to do so was to take up another instrument.

I don't believe I was ever able to make a noise that would be considered music.

I then took 2 years of flute and wasn't too bad at it, for a 12 year old.

Belushi TD
gtg947h

Post by gtg947h »

My musical talent is limited to pressing "play"... apparently that musical gene on my dad's side skipped me and went to my siblings instead.

Dad tried to make me learn guitar at one point. I struggled for six weeks and hated every minute of it. He finally let me off the hook, afraid I'd break his guitar. Decades later (within the last eight years or so) he decided to take up violin and would subject us to cat screeching every time we visited until he finally started making recognizable music.

My son says he wants to play something but so far lacks the motivation and discipline to do any practice. Maybe in a couple years...
David Newton

Post by David Newton »

I reached between grade 4 and grade 5 standard on piano and recorder. Singing is my area of musical talent.
warshipadmin

Post by warshipadmin »

Congrats to whoever made it possible to edit thread titles, I'm sorry about that Nathan.

I sang in the choir at school and occasionally in church, gave it up at 18. 4.5 decades later my wife announces she wants to join the local choir. Wow, my voice has fallen apart. One interesting exercise is to try an do a glissando quietly from a high note right to down low. There are whole stretches of notes I just can't do.
Nathan45

Post by Nathan45 »

I didn't mind the thread title at all, I was just getting used to bad news. It was nice to be surprised in a good way. No apologies needed.
Jeff Thomas

Post by Jeff Thomas »

Many years ago a college professor who lived a couple of houses up the street from one of my wife's aunts took up bagpipes, he practiced on his back porch and was clearly audible. I've always liked the pipes, but I quickly decided it was going to take too long and too much work to be even tolerable. I don't know what happened to my wife's aunt's neighbor.