General Discussion thread.

The long and short stories of 'The Last War' by Jan Niemczyk and others
Simon Darkshade

Re: General Discussion thread.

Post by Simon Darkshade »

Thank you kindly, Mario, but I can't claim too much credit at all. This was simply a matter of taking Bernard's British Army orbat (in turn derived in part from the great work of Louie) and combining it with the TOE post that James1978 contributed, then dressing it up with a little formatting and underlining.

I know people have their different preferences for formats when it comes to orbats, but this one does allow a quick tallying up of equipment holdings (at least in active service) and looking at it from a slightly different angle to the original.
Mario Rossi

Post by Mario Rossi »

Simon Darkshade wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 5:09 pm Thank you kindly, Mario, but I can't claim too much credit at all. This was simply a matter of taking Bernard's British Army orbat (in turn derived in part from the great work of Louie) and combining it with the TOE post that James1978 contributed, then dressing it up with a little formatting and underlining.

I know people have their different preferences for formats when it comes to orbats, but this one does allow a quick tallying up of equipment holdings (at least in active service) and looking at it from a slightly different angle to the original.
I share your preference for this kind of format and, once acknowledged work by other, I think there's nothing wrong in getting credit for your contribution 🙂

I'd like to do something like this for James1987's Italian Army OrBat, but right now I already have enough TLW commitments 🙃
Lordroel

Post by Lordroel »

The Russia-Ukraine War is given the Last War a lot of stuff it can use.

Belushi TD

Post by Belushi TD »

Am I wrong in thinking that there's at least three backfires there that are no longer backfires?

Belushi TD
jemhouston

Post by jemhouston »

Belushi TD wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 5:31 pm Am I wrong in thinking that there's at least three backfires there that are no longer backfires?

Belushi TD
They went Cajun and became blackened.
Johnnie Lyle

Post by Johnnie Lyle »

Belushi TD wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 5:31 pm Am I wrong in thinking that there's at least three backfires there that are no longer backfires?

Belushi TD
Things Backfired on them.
Jotun

Post by Jotun »

Having read a bit more by now than just his wikipedia page, what, if anything, would Billy Waugh be up to in this universe? I mean, he is only 75 by the time WW3 kicks off, practically still a spring chicken, and he might as well coordinate some shady Agency business in some warm-climed corner of the world :mrgreen:
Wolfman

Post by Wolfman »

Belushi TD
They’re now good BACKFIREs…
“For a brick, he flew pretty good!” Sgt. Major A.J. Johnson, Halo 2

To err is human; to forgive is not SAC policy.

“This is Raven 2-5. This is my sandbox. You will not drop, acknowledge.” David Flanagan, former Raven FAC
Simon Darkshade

Louie, you mentioned back in October 2023 that you had figures for RAF and RN ammunition stocks? Would it please be possible at all to share those?

It would provide an interesting logistical side to the progress of the war at this point and illustrate some drivers for different types of operations.
Louie

Post by Louie »

Give me a few, I’ll post it by this weekend
Louie

Post by Louie »

RAF As ofMay 1990

SRAAM (ie SIDEWINDER) NATO SPG = 4438 RAF Stock =4413

MRAAM NATO SPG = 2241 RAF Stock = 2242 (SKYFLASH) 383 (SPARROW)

27mm Ammo HEI/APHE NATO SPG = 574320 RAF Stock = Full stock of 30+ days

JP233 NATO SPG = 1370 RAF Stock = Full stock of 30+ days

to be continued......
Simon Darkshade

Thank you, Louie. A lovely early birthday present.
Louie

Post by Louie »

Simon,

I will post the RN and Army stocks too

I left out the Sonobuoys for RAF, they had different stocks from the RN in different categories. I will post them also.
RN & RAF seem to have followed the NATO Stockpile Planning Guidance (SPG) which was for 30 days of war. As I previously said, the Army as of 1981, based theirs on BAS/RARS. This was a different methodology based on a deep dive into Israeli rates during the Yom Kippur War. BAS/RARS formulated stocks for 8 days with every unit being at 100% strength each of those days (it formulated loses both to enemy action and losses due to stocks being overrun) and then a further 2 days of everyone being at 40% strength.
Bernard Woolley

Post by Bernard Woolley »

There will be a bit of a delay to the next chapter, or anything getting posted by me. I’ve been away for the weekend for a range shooting day (will talk more about this in The Bar soon). However, on top of that, the room in which my PC normally lives is being redecorated. So, it will be a while, maybe next weekend at the earliest that I can get the computer set up and get writing again.

Apologies for the delay. And, btw, the P.14 and Lee Enfield No.5 are really nice to shoot.
jemhouston

Post by jemhouston »

Bernard Woolley wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 5:52 pm There will be a bit of a delay to the next chapter, or anything getting posted by me. I’ve been away for the weekend for a range shooting day (will talk more about this in The Bar soon). However, on top of that, the room in which my PC normally lives is being redecorated. So, it will be a while, maybe next weekend at the earliest that I can get the computer set up and get writing again.

Apologies for the delay. And, btw, the P.14 and Lee Enfield No.5 are really nice to shoot.
Would you able to do the mad minute?
Bernard Woolley

Yes, but we don’t like calling it that! Why? Because the exercise was not meant to be ‘mad’. ;)
jemhouston

Post by jemhouston »

Bernard Woolley wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 1:57 am Yes, but we don’t like calling it that! Why? Because the exercise was not meant to be ‘mad’. ;)
Sorry and what do you call it?
Bernard Woolley

No need to apologise, it’s the common name. It’s generally called a rapid fire exercise. Hitting the target is as important as number of rounds fired. Last year I shot off 11 really quickly, but was it in any way accurate? Nope. This year it was speed and accuracy. Taking a careful, methodical approach worked well for me. At least until faulty ammo caused a stoppage. Twice!