How Hadrian’s Wall is revealing a hidden side of Roman history

The theory and practice of the Profession of Arms through the ages.
warshipadmin

Re: How Hadrian’s Wall is revealing a hidden side of Roman history

Post by warshipadmin »

My brother, an archaeologist, points out that what you can see of Wall today is mostly the result of enthusiastic reconstruction in the 19th century. Nonetheless the middle bit is a very nice walk.
Craiglxviii

Post by Craiglxviii »

I drove past most of it a few months ago, and will be doing so again in a couple of months time :)
warshipadmin

Post by warshipadmin »

We've walked it a couple of times, and will at least visit it this summer since we are 'doing' Northumberland.
Craiglxviii

Post by Craiglxviii »

warshipadmin wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 10:17 pm We've walked it a couple of times, and will at least visit it this summer since we are 'doing' Northumberland.
If you get the chance, Tann Hill Inn (highest pub in England) does a superb roast dinner all-in-one in a giant yorkshire pud.
warshipadmin

Post by warshipadmin »

For part of our honeymoon we navigated around England using The Good Pubs Guide as our map. I hadn't heard of that one. Ah just north of Keld where we stayed on the coast to coast walk.
Craiglxviii

Post by Craiglxviii »

warshipadmin wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 10:41 pm For part of our honeymoon we navigated around England using The Good Pubs Guide as our map. I hadn't heard of that one. Ah just north of Keld where we stayed on the coast to coast walk.
They used to have a pet bar sheep called Tann, who thought he was a dog and would sit in your lap.

Funny when he was a 12 week old lamb. Not so funny as a 3 year old ram!