The Last stand of IJN Takao

The theory and practice of the Profession of Arms through the ages.
Nathan45

The Last stand of IJN Takao

Post by Nathan45 »

Well done...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NtOstlmOc98

And incidentally a very good movie.
bean

Re: The Last stand of IJN Takao

Post by bean »

You have to love any movie where mine warfare is a major plot point. Not to mention that they managed the very rare trick of being ahead of me on a technical issue. (And by very rare, I can't think of another movie that has done it in, oh, the last decade.)
jemhouston

Post by jemhouston »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ka0awIpo3cE

0:09 / 16:31
How the US Air Force could take on Godzilla and WIN

Going to disagree with him F-15E or F-16s with laser guided bombs.
Simon Darkshade

Post by Simon Darkshade »

For the first one, a nice and clear April 1 video taking the pee out of Drachinfels’ style, playing in bits of lore and not trying to be all “rah rah” about the outcome. Not hugely laugh out loud, but well played.

For the last video, I managed to watch it, although the bloke’s smarminess almost broke my mind. I know it is intended to be a joke, but one of the primary identifying features of a joke is to be funny.

Perhaps his analysis may be of relevance for the heavily nerfed 1998 Godzilla, which took 10 conventional missiles, then peed itself and died in ignominy; a Michael Bay solution for a Roland Emmerich world, as it were.

However, the basis for Godzilla is that it is a monster that should not be, does not conform to human notions of natural/scientific law and indeed breaks them. It is immune to nuclear weapons, which should not happen; conventional weapons might annoy it, but don’t damage it.

This isn’t a matter of “Oh, they just haven’t applied X thousand pound warheads properly”, but more along the lines of the horror experienced by the US Armed Forces and characters in 1953’s version of The War of the Worlds - they just fired off The Bomb, the pinnacle of Man’s science and power, and it just didn’t work against the aliens.

This type of video simply handwaves all that, lists off what modern weapons could do to a conventional creature, effectively an ordinary 90,000t cow, and expects a pat on the head for being so clever. It isn’t particularly clever, as it misses the established nature of the monster and what it can withstand.

It isn’t real, which is part of the attraction. People like to be scared, to suspend their disbelief and to pretend. Brandine and Cletus at the cinema can accept that Godzilla is immune to conventional weapons and nukes quite happily enough. There is some real potential for horror when films look at what happen when these type of impossible, supernatural monsters intrude on an otherwise and hitherto rational universe.

The alternate is to have a fictional universe where there are no unnatural elements in their most basic terms, only perhaps a few bits of decorative tinsel, such as having any creature killable by enough explosive, or the Satan and Cruise Missile paradigm.
Nathan45

Post by Nathan45 »

bean wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:14 pm You have to love any movie where mine warfare is a major plot point. Not to mention that they managed the very rare trick of being ahead of me on a technical issue. (And by very rare, I can't think of another movie that has done it in, oh, the last decade.)
What was the technical issue?
bean

Post by bean »

Nathan45 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:42 am
bean wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:14 pm You have to love any movie where mine warfare is a major plot point. Not to mention that they managed the very rare trick of being ahead of me on a technical issue. (And by very rare, I can't think of another movie that has done it in, oh, the last decade.)
What was the technical issue?
Spoiler!
The ejection seat at the end. I was going "that's not right, nobody used those, and he can't have gotten out past the pusher...oh."