General Discussion Thread

Long and short stories from the 1984 movie
clancyphile

Re: General Discussion Thread

Post by clancyphile »

Matt Wiser wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:44 am He will be greatly missed. Never met him prewar, but I did meet him on a few occasions after-especially when he was running the VA.
He was passionate about turning it around after those "separate waiting lists" were discovered.
Wolfman

Post by Wolfman »

Hey, Matt, does Kelly Ann’s Beagle still have that shark kill mark on it?
“For a brick, he flew pretty good!” Sgt. Major A.J. Johnson, Halo 2

To err is human; to forgive is not SAC policy.

“This is Raven 2-5. This is my sandbox. You will not drop, acknowledge.” David Flanagan, former Raven FAC
Matt Wiser

Post by Matt Wiser »

Of course. Hers has all five of her kills: three before being shot down and the two in Baja. She also has a POW-MIA emblem painted beneath the crew names.
The difference between diplomacy and war is this: Diplomacy is the art of telling someone to go to hell so elegantly that they pack for the trip.
War is bringing hell down on that someone.
jemhouston

Post by jemhouston »

When and how did she earn a shark kill?
Belushi TD

Post by Belushi TD »

jemhouston wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:35 am When and how did she earn a shark kill?
By killing a shark, of course!

Belushi TD
jemhouston

Post by jemhouston »

Belushi TD wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:57 am
jemhouston wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:35 am When and how did she earn a shark kill?

Belushi TD
Why did she get credit for it and when did it happen? :?
Wolfman

Post by Wolfman »

jemhouston wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:25 pm
Belushi TD wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:57 am

Belushi TD
Why did she get credit for it and when did it happen? :?
IIRC, her second trip to Key West for war crimes trials relating to her time as a POW… it was a five foot long tiger shark.

“This is Raven 2-5. This is my sandbox. You will not drop, acknowledge.” David Flanagan, former Raven FAC
Lordroel

Post by Lordroel »

So who is the person that tried to seek political asylum, in the Mexican embassy in Ecuador but who was still arrested by the Ecuadorian police after they enter the embassy in Quito.

I am hearing it is somebody the United States wants for crimes committed during the War but Ecuador is not releasing the person name.
Wolfman

Post by Wolfman »

That’s still a pretty lengthy list, Lordroel…

Lordroel

Post by Lordroel »

Wolfman wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:21 pm That’s still a pretty lengthy list, Lordroel…
Well who ever the person is, he must be important enough for Ecuador to storm the Mexican embassy, CNN and other media outlets are running down a list of those who they think it can be but so far the Department of State and the Ecuadorian government are tight lipped saying the name will be released soon.
Wolfman

Post by Wolfman »

And the Venezuelans are screaming about it… when is that lunatic in Caracas going to just shut up?

Lordroel

Post by Lordroel »

Wolfman wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 1:25 pm And the Venezuelans are screaming about it… when is that lunatic in Caracas going to just shut up?
As long as he screams and not decides to do a Falklands 2.0 on the Netherlands Antilles i ignore him.
Wolfman

Post by Wolfman »

If he tries, he’s in for a world of hurt…

clancyphile

Post by clancyphile »

Lordroel wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 1:42 pm
Wolfman wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 1:25 pm And the Venezuelans are screaming about it… when is that lunatic in Caracas going to just shut up?
As long as he screams and not decides to do a Falklands 2.0 on the Netherlands Antilles i ignore him.
If he does do a Falklands on the ABC islands (Aruba, Bonaire, and Curacao), what can be done? They were not covered by the text of the NATO treaty, so... do the Dutch have the ability to take them back on their own?
Lordroel

Post by Lordroel »

clancyphile wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 2:01 pm
If he does do a Falklands on the ABC islands (Aruba, Bonaire, and Curacao), what can be done? They were not covered by the text of the NATO treaty, so... do the Dutch have the ability to take them back on their own?
We do have a good navy, also remember it is not first time that Venezuela tried to do something stupid.

OOC: remember that there was on the old board something like the Venezuela Crisis of 2010, if i remember cocrectly.
Poohbah

Post by Poohbah »

clancyphile wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 2:01 pm
Lordroel wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 1:42 pm
There's no NATO dog in the fight...but the United States is hardly an uninterested party, and the UK has significant regional interests as well.
Bernard Woolley

Post by Bernard Woolley »

If the Netherlands asks for help, we’d happily give it. Given the close relationship between the Booties and Cloggies, I could almost imagine our marines being given a temporary ‘transfer’ if needed.
Lordroel

Post by Lordroel »

Bernard Woolley wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:51 pm If the Netherlands asks for help, we’d happily give it. Given the close relationship between the Booties and Cloggies, I could almost imagine our marines being given a temporary ‘transfer’ if needed.
You assume it is needed, the clown in Caracas only makes a fuss because what is happening in Ecuador, so far no name on who is captured, must be a high profile if they are still not releasing the person name, ore are they waiting until he is back in the United States.
jemhouston

Post by jemhouston »

I can't find the guy's name, but someone was running a Ponzi scheme, and got found out. About two minutes before the cops got to his estate, he got out. Rumor has it, he got out to South America. There were rumors he was laundering money for various cartels and anti-US groups.

If he was paying someone off to stay in country and the money ran out, that could explain things.

I may be combing rumors, so Morton Salt Time.
Lordroel

Post by Lordroel »

jemhouston wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:26 pm I can't find the guy's name, but someone was running a Ponzi scheme, and got found out. About two minutes before the cops got to his estate, he got out. Rumor has it, he got out to South America. There were rumors he was laundering money for various cartels and anti-US groups.

If he was paying someone off to stay in country and the money ran out, that could explain things.

I may be combing rumors, so Morton Salt Time.
And that is worth storming a embassy, okay it is the Mexican embassy we are talking about, they as i heard are known for smuggling tobacco, alcohol, human trafficking, arms trafficking, narcotics, gold, money laundering with the aim of bringing in much-needed foreign currency for the Mexican regime.