Fact File: the B-52, or Miss Buffy at War:

Long and short stories from the 1984 movie
Matt Wiser

Fact File: the B-52, or Miss Buffy at War:

Post by Matt Wiser »

Here's the fact file on the B-52:

B-52 Variants of the Third World War

The venerable Boeing B-52 Stratofortress, first introduced into Strategic Air Command Service in 1955, was the mainstay of SAC through the peak of the Cold War, and during the Third World War. Though augmented in SAC by the Rockwell International B-1B during the war, the BUFF, as it was affectionately known by its crews, performed admirably during the war, whether it was maintaining the nuclear deterrent, performing ARC LIGHT strikes against Soviet-bloc forces either in Canada or the U.S., and leading the EASTERN EXPRESS campaign against the Soviet Union, the B-52 force did everything it was asked to, and more. Three variants of the legendary aircraft served in the war, and a fourth was introduced into SAC postwar. Only those versions that were active in SAC, or under development during the war, will be treated here.

B-52D: Mainstay of the ARC LIGHT effort during the Vietnam War, and modified in the “Big Belly” program to carry up to 108 Mark-82 five-hundred pound bombs. Led the LINEBACKER II campaign against the heart of North Vietnam, and the following wings were tasked for conventional bombing by SAC: the 7th at Carswell AFB, TX; 22nd at March AFB, CA; 43rd, at Andersen AFB, Guam, and the 96th at Dyess AFB, TX. Despite the two Texas wings taking losses to Cuban SOF on invasion day, the bulk of the force escaped the SOF effort, and took the war to the enemy from the outset. Losses were heavy, and of eighty D models still in SAC (and more in reserve at AMARC), only thirty-five aircraft survived the war. All retired and replaced by B-1B/C.

B-52G: In service as SIOP-dedicated nuclear bombers, and serving also in a conventional role, armed with AGM-84 Harpoon missiles in the Sea Control role, and also trained as aerial minelayers. B-52Gs armed with CALCM missiles were heavily involved in the EASTERN EXPRESS mission, as well as standing nuclear alert with ALCMs, SRAMs, and bombs. All surviving aircraft have been converted to B-52J standard postwar, with the last G-equipped wing (97th BW, Eaker AFB, AR) converted during FY 11.

B-52H: In service for SIOP, though also used in the EASTERN EXPRESS mission. B-52Hs flew in all three of SAC's wartime nuclear strike missions, and were also involved in missions involving Bigeye chemical bombs and also in NIMBLE CAP. Surviving aircraft converted to J standard postwar, with the final wing (5th BW at Minot AFB, ND) converted during FY 10.

B-52J: Originally a Boeing concept for reengining the existing B-52 force with Rolls-Royce RB-211 engines, which are more fuel efficient than the J57 engines used on previous models. The plan also included extensive avionics upgrades, and full conventional weapons capability along with SIOP tasking. The program was given top priority by SAC during the war. Despite this, Boeing was unable to do so, despite the B-52 tools and jigs being available, to produce new-build bombers during the war. Instead, upgrades and repairs to existing aircraft took precedence. The program continued postwar, with the first prototype conversion coming off Boeing's production line in Washington State in 1991. Wing spars were obtained at first from C,E and F models stored at AMARC, while several other spars were used to prepare tooling and jigs for brand-new spars. SAC was pleased with the result, and existing G and H models were converted, with the first wing transitioning in FY 1997. All conversions performed at Boeing-Wichita.

B-52K: New build production with the Pratt and Whitney JT8D engine. Otherwise, similar to the J, with full conventional and SIOP capability, and identical avionics. All new production airframes from Boeing-Renton. While new airframe production has ceased, parts production does continue.
The difference between diplomacy and war is this: Diplomacy is the art of telling someone to go to hell so elegantly that they pack for the trip.
War is bringing hell down on that someone.
clancyphile

Re: Fact File: the B-52, or Miss Buffy at War:

Post by clancyphile »

IC/Jeb Pruitt: There were rumors of a B-52I model, modified with an APG-65, AMRAAM missiles, HARMs, lots of cutting-edge tech, that operated out of Groom Lake.

Met a Patrick McLanahan at one time, who reportedly was part of AFMC's RDT&E effort, but he never said much - although I later learned he was tied to that rumored program.
Bernard Woolley

Post by Bernard Woolley »

OOC: I doubt any aircraft would use an ‘I’ designation. Looks too much like a ‘1’.
Belushi TD

Post by Belushi TD »

Bernard Woolley wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:03 pm OOC: I doubt any aircraft would use an ‘I’ designation. Looks too much like a ‘1’.
OOC - I don't think the US military would have changed that during/after WWIII either. Unless it was part of the rumor in an effort to draw attention away from it!

Belushi TD