SHIP PROFILE: CONESTOGA CLASS DSRRV

Star Trek-based stories from Mike Kozlowski and others, set in Mike’s unique not-quite TOS, not-quite SFB but close enough to both ‘verse.
MikeKozlowski

SHIP PROFILE: CONESTOGA CLASS DSRRV

Post by MikeKozlowski »

DSRRV.png
EDIT: It just hit me - nobody's ever caught the easter egg in this pic.... ;)

Mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Johnnie Lyle

Re: SHIP PROFILE: CONESTOGA CLASS DSRRV

Post by Johnnie Lyle »

Shouldn’t they have been modernized by 2290?
MikeKozlowski

Post by MikeKozlowski »

Johnnie Lyle wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 4:18 pm Shouldn’t they have been modernized by 2290?
Johnnie,

The DSRRVs are built with components from the Flight I/II DNs, and StarFleet's attitude was that since they weren't intended to be front-line warships (though they theoretically had a role as emergency CVLs) they didn't have to be up to X/E (E as in Excelsior) class standards.

And there are a LOT of OG starships still out there. ;)

Mike
Poohbah

Post by Poohbah »

All right, I'm stumped. What's the Easter Egg?
jemhouston

Post by jemhouston »

If Puget Sound is a ship and they're named after battles, does that mean Red Dawn happened In Mikeyverse?
Johnnie Lyle

Post by Johnnie Lyle »

jemhouston wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:33 pm If Puget Sound is a ship and they're named after battles, does that mean Red Dawn happened In Mikeyverse?
They’re not named for battles. Looks like mountains, rivers, or both - with the exception of CONESTOGA and VALLEY FORGE.
MikeKozlowski

Post by MikeKozlowski »

Poohbah wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:21 pm All right, I'm stumped. What's the Easter Egg?
...The following Conestogas share names with the first truly impressive cinematic spacecraft I ever saw - the American Airlines space freighters from Silent Running:

Berkshire NCC-3117
Valley Forge NCC- 3118
Sequoia NCC-3125
Blue Ridge NCC-3119

The naming conventions for the DSRRV and the MSRRV (the CA based conversion) are as follow:

DSRRV: The original plan was to name all after Conestoga for famous ocean liners and transports. However, a change in leadership at the DOD level resulted in a change to major rivers, bodies of water, mountains, and valley areas. Ammunition ships are named for volcanos, and hospital ships are named for concepts of comfort and healing.

MSRRV: Named for mountains.

And while we're on the subject of transports:

LARGE TRANSPORTS: These are basically powered cargo pods, capable of hauling just about anything. They are named for stars within the Federation, followed by the word 'Victory' - for instance, USS Procyon Victory, USS Arcturus Victory.

SMALL TRANSPORTS: These are purpose built cargo ships capable of carrying about 1/4 the load of a standard pod. They are named for planets within the Federation, followed by the word 'Liberty' - for instance, USS Terra Liberty, USS Andorria Liberty.

Mike
Johnnie Lyle

Post by Johnnie Lyle »

CONESTOGA and VALLEY FORGE find being auxiliaries a slight to their hard-fighting ancestors :p
Craiglxviii

Post by Craiglxviii »

MikeKozlowski wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 11:37 pm
Poohbah wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:21 pm All right, I'm stumped. What's the Easter Egg?
...The following Conestogas share names with the first truly impressive cinematic spacecraft I ever saw - the American Airlines space freighters from Silent Running:

Berkshire NCC-3117
Valley Forge NCC- 3118
Sequoia NCC-3125
Blue Ridge NCC-3119

The naming conventions for the DSRRV and the MSRRV (the CA based conversion) are as follow:

DSRRV: The original plan was to name all after Conestoga for famous ocean liners and transports. However, a change in leadership at the DOD level resulted in a change to major rivers, bodies of water, mountains, and valley areas. Ammunition ships are named for volcanos, and hospital ships are named for concepts of comfort and healing.

LARGE TRANSPORTS: These are basically powered cargo pods, capable of hauling just about anything. They are named for stars within the Federation, followed by the word 'Victory' - for instance, USS Procyon Victory, USS Arcturus Victory.

SMALL TRANSPORTS: These are purpose built cargo ships capable of carrying about 1/4 the load of a standard pod. They are named for planets within the Federation, followed by the word 'Liberty' - for instance, USS Terra Liberty, USS Andorria Liberty.

Mike
Mikey,

Do SFB-esque Tugs not feature in place of the Large Transports- as that’s pretty much what you describe?
MikeKozlowski

Post by MikeKozlowski »

Craiglxviii wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:09 pm

Berkshire NCC-3117
Valley Forge NCC- 3118
Sequoia NCC-3125
Blue Ridge NCC-3119

Mike
Mikey,

Do SFB-esque Tugs not feature in place of the Large Transports- as that’s pretty much what you describe?
Craig,

The tugs are very much part of StarFleet - there's just never enough of them, and they usually have to deal with StarFleet priority cargos. On the other hand, the freighters can move stuff in secure areas, and even though they can't move as fast as a tug they still get the job done.

In terms of numbers, the Franz Joseph totals list 138 tugs authorized, which is pretty impressive but keep in mind that realistically about a third of them will be in overhaul/refit at any given time. That brings you down to 92-ish. Figure half of that will be working up for deployments or winding down from one, and the remainder - maybe about forty -will actually be out on the line. Then split that between the Romulan and Klingon borders, along with whatever else might be needed in the frontier systems, and there's a definite need for something to back up the dedicated tugs. And almost forgot - the tugs have combat roles, as there are combat pods (turn your tug into a DN in seconds!) and carrier pods.

Mike
Belushi TD

Post by Belushi TD »

Hmmm...

Easter egg?

I'm going to go with Mount Fuji and Mount Hood having blown their tops and done something Godzilla like to Tokyo / Portland.

Logic - It appears that the rest of the mountains the ammo ships have been named for went off in living memory. As far as I know, Fuji and Hood are the only ones on that list that has not done so in really spectacular fashion? I strongly suspect I'm reaching here, but I've got nothing else.

Wait - Is it build on a Dreadnaught platform?
Johnnie Lyle wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 9:28 pm
jemhouston wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:33 pm If Puget Sound is a ship and they're named after battles, does that mean Red Dawn happened In Mikeyverse?
They’re not named for battles. Looks like mountains, rivers, or both - with the exception of CONESTOGA and VALLEY FORGE.
Conestoga is a small (60 or so miles long) river in Pennsylvania. However, its possibly named after the USS Conestoga, an oceangoing tug lost in the early 20's. Either way, it fits, as the conestoga wagon is one of the historically significant inventions that allowed the settlement of the West. Basically, it was a state of the art freighter at the time, which is pretty much what a DSSRV does.

Belushi TD
MikeKozlowski

Post by MikeKozlowski »

Belushi TD wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 11:54 am Hmmm...

Easter egg?

I'm going to go with Mount Fuji and Mount Hood having blown their tops and done something Godzilla like to Tokyo / Portland.

Logic - It appears that the rest of the mountains the ammo ships have been named for went off in living memory. As far as I know, Fuji and Hood are the only ones on that list that has not done so in really spectacular fashion? I strongly suspect I'm reaching here, but I've got nothing else.

Conestoga is a small (60 or so miles long) river in Pennsylvania. However, its possibly named after the USS Conestoga, an oceangoing tug lost in the early 20's. Either way, it fits, as the conestoga wagon is one of the historically significant inventions that allowed the settlement of the West. Basically, it was a state of the art freighter at the time, which is pretty much what a DSSRV does.

Belushi TD
Belushi,

According to Wiki (or likely GalactaWiki by that point) Fuji and Hood are both considered 'dormant' - they could in theory go high order, as opposed to extinct, which means it ain't ever gonna happen. In addition, the USN has had two Mount Hoods - one of which went up in a nightmarish explosives accident in 1944, and the second which served from '71 to '99.

Mike
Johnnie Lyle

Post by Johnnie Lyle »

Belushi TD wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 11:54 am Hmmm...

Easter egg?

Belushi TD
CONESTOGA was also one of the first three gunboats on the Mississippi River, along with TYLER and LEXINGTON. She fought in all the major campaigns until she was lost in 1864.
Craiglxviii

Post by Craiglxviii »

MikeKozlowski wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:39 pm
Craiglxviii wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:09 pm

Berkshire NCC-3117
Valley Forge NCC- 3118
Sequoia NCC-3125
Blue Ridge NCC-3119

Mike
Mikey,

Craig,

The tugs are very much part of StarFleet - there's just never enough of them, and they usually have to deal with StarFleet priority cargos. On the other hand, the freighters can move stuff in secure areas, and even though they can't move as fast as a tug they still get the job done.

In terms of numbers, the Franz Joseph totals list 138 tugs authorized, which is pretty impressive but keep in mind that realistically about a third of them will be in overhaul/refit at any given time. That brings you down to 92-ish. Figure half of that will be working up for deployments or winding down from one, and the remainder - maybe about forty -will actually be out on the line. Then split that between the Romulan and Klingon borders, along with whatever else might be needed in the frontier systems, and there's a definite need for something to back up the dedicated tugs. And almost forgot - the tugs have combat roles, as there are combat pods (turn your tug into a DN in seconds!) and carrier pods.

Mike
Yep, I well remember Combat & Carrier Tugs, and I’m very glad you’ve kept them in your ‘verse!