...An Odd Issue...

This is where messages from the Administration are posted and place for questions on how to use the boards
David Newton

Re: ...An Odd Issue...

Post by David Newton »

Yes. The PICNIC problem really is a serious issue.

People too lazy or too stupid to try even basic troubleshooting for example. Something won't turn on: is it actually plugged in properly for example?
jemhouston

Post by jemhouston »

My favorite is when they reboot, then open ticket without waiting to see if the reboot will fix it. Second is opening ticket, and I call within a minute, then say, they don't have time for me to look at it.
Jeff Thomas

Post by Jeff Thomas »

People too lazy or too stupid to try even basic troubleshooting for example. Something won't turn on: is it actually plugged in properly for example?
My son had a friend who worked in customer support at Microsoft. He got a call from some guy who said nothing on his computer would work, the screen was just black etc. Friend said "is it plugged in?" He heard the customer put the phone down, some papers rustled, furniture banged around, then "oh shit never mind."
JBG

Post by JBG »

jemhouston wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:55 pm In Defense of my fellow IT techs, we do occasionally resemble that remark.

In our defense, users can be PICNIC, Problem in Chair, Not in Computer.

Sometimes, I wish I never stopped drinking. :lol:
Plenty of good people in IT. The problem is generally the management.

Jonathan
Calder

Post by Calder »

My person favorite (joke story not true) is a person calls customer support and tells them nothing on their computer works. The IT has him check if the monitor is plugged in. He says yes. He ask if the back of the computer is plugged in. He says he can't tell it is really dark. Support asks him to turn on the lights. The customer says I can't turn on the lights the power is out......

Support immediately tells him to pack the computer into a box and ship it to them. The customer asks if is it really that bad and support reply yes, you are too dumb to own a computer.
Micael

Post by Micael »

jemhouston wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:55 pm In Defense of my fellow IT techs, we do occasionally resemble that remark.

About twenty years ago there was a website called PEBKAC (problem exists between keyboard and chair) that some IT support person had assembled the stories of their working life on. Pretty hilarious ones really.
jemhouston

Post by jemhouston »

Micael wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:07 pm

About twenty years ago there was a website called PEBKAC (problem exists between keyboard and chair) that some IT support person had assembled the stories of their working life on. Pretty hilarious ones really.
Yes they are https://www.reddit.com/r/talesfromtechsupport
JBG

Post by JBG »

Calder wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:26 pm My person favorite (joke story not true) is a person calls customer support and tells them nothing on their computer works. The IT has him check if the monitor is plugged in. He says yes. He ask if the back of the computer is plugged in. He says he can't tell it is really dark. Support asks him to turn on the lights. The customer says I can't turn on the lights the power is out......

Support immediately tells him to pack the computer into a box and ship it to them. The customer asks if is it really that bad and support reply yes, you are too dumb to own a computer.
Hey, I resemble that joke!

I'll PM you with what of the Conrad/Angel stories I had saved. Our IT thought that MS Teams was an adequate backup for my legal teams documents when they moved to Sharepoint ....endlessly clunky for Word documents. That was a management decision, made in the face of some robustly put arguments.

Jonathan
Calder

Post by Calder »

JBG wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:40 am
Calder wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:26 pm My person favorite (joke story not true) is a person calls customer support and tells them nothing on their computer works. The IT has him check if the monitor is plugged in. He says yes. He ask if the back of the computer is plugged in. He says he can't tell it is really dark. Support asks him to turn on the lights. The customer says I can't turn on the lights the power is out......

Hey, I resemble that joke!

I'll PM you with what of the Conrad/Angel stories I had saved. Our IT thought that MS Teams was an adequate backup for my legal teams documents when they moved to Sharepoint ....endlessly clunky for Word documents. That was a management decision, made in the face of some robustly put arguments.

Jonathan
Sounds great.
Bouncy70

Post by Bouncy70 »

Craiglxviii wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:00 pm
MikeKozlowski wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:51 pm ...Well,

I have an answer. Corporate IT has blocked it on grounds that we're a hate site.

I will see if it's possible to look into this.

Mike
That’s not very nice! We don’t discriminate!
Indeed. Senior heartily dislikes everybody to the left of him politically, regardless of creed or colour.
Vendetta

Post by Vendetta »

MikeKozlowski wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:51 pm ...Well,

I have an answer. Corporate IT has blocked it on grounds that we're a hate site.

I will see if it's possible to look into this.

Mike
I can access most pages my work computer blocks by entering the URL into Google Translate and opening the link to the translated page. I'm not sure that you'd be able to sign in and post with this method, but you would at least be able to navigate around the forum and read (opening Google's cache links to a blocked site will also let you see it, but it's only practical for a single page, not a forum where you have to click around to different ones).

You might enjoy the Bastard Operator from Hell stories.